ADVERTISEMENT

Homeschool kids to participate in MSHSAA Athletics?

daveok

Oct 28, 2017
NEMO from SEMO
This was sent from MSHSAA today..... First, I wish to thank you all for all the hard work you have done this year to provide instruction and opportunities to the students in Missouri. I know it has not been easy, but you have done a fantastic job this school year! Next, I want to make you aware of Senate Bill 55 (NOW Senate Committee Substitute - Committee Version, combination of Senate Bills 55, 23 & 25). The bill will impact MSHSAA and the rules you have put in place for sports and activities. It would allow for home-schooled students to simply show up and participate in sports and activities. Below, we have included links to the bill language, MSHSAA concerns regarding the bill's impact, and Senate Directory. Please review this information and speak to your Senator about your views and perspectives on this bill. Please email us if you have any questions. (email@mshsaa.org)

Seems like it would open up a can of worms but maybe I'm wrong.

gigantic can of worms! Say your school rules are if you fail a class you don't play - kid flunks a class and then parents decide to homeschool him - voila, he's eligible.

We did it in Tennessee when I still lived there. People howled against it at first but once it got passed, it ended up not being that big of a deal. As long as there's proper eligibility infrastructure within mshsaa, it's not a bad thing. Homeschool students still have to report grades and go through an umbrella institution already, so its not drastically different than virtual students that have suddenly become commonplace.

Our high school has allowed a home school kid to participate in sports the last 2 years? He had to take 2 classes at the school, the rest were at home and his grades were checked through the home school institution he took classes through.

Spoke with my Senator late last week. He will vote against it, hopefully others will to.. Lots of bad stuff in the bill. It is very much ANTI-PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

"No, we can't have free thinking kids that are more academically advanced than our public school kids, interacting or playing sports with our kids. Why, we can't even do seven hours a day of secular dogma indoctrination on them." Sincerely, Every Jacko-Libtard Admin in the State.

Spoke with my Senator late last week. He will vote against it, hopefully others will to.. Lots of bad stuff in the bill. It is very much ANTI-PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
I agree the overall bill now that vouchers and charters got attached to it is bad. The homeschool athlete aspect standing alone though is not. It's a shame they all got rolled together.

The state senate has 3 members of the conservative caucus group on the education committee, including the chairwoman. The committee also has a couple other proponents of charter school expansion. If you have followed the conservative caucus, they are pretty much the typical right wing sect in wanting lowered taxes, tougher anti-abortion laws, less corporate wellfare, support charter school expansion, etc. People need to be aware and informed.

I know Webb City has home school kids playing on their teams. I would assume many other schools do as well.

"No, we can't have free thinking kids that are more academically advanced than our public school kids, interacting or playing sports with our kids. Why, we can't even do seven hours a day of secular dogma indoctrination on them." Sincerely, Every Jacko-Libtard Admin in the State.

Must be all those liberal politicians who have control over the state curriculum here in this state run by liberals with the super liberal House, super liberal senate, and super liberal governors we've had for such a long time.

Must be all those liberal politicians who have control over the state curriculum here in this state run by liberals with the super liberal House, super liberal senate, and super liberal governors we've had for such a long time.

You obviously don't live in KC or the St. Louis area.

You obviously don't live in KC or the St. Louis area.

Incorrect.

If a person's religious convictions deem it necessary; I would encourage leaving public school and going to private school. I would also encourage republican voters who believe vouchers are the answer to maybe question why those republican-lead supermajorities in both the Missouri House and Senate over the past several years have failed to deliver on promises about vouchers that they include in every single campaign, given that Zelman vs. Simmons-Harris (2002) said that a voucher system can be done legally without having to exclude religious schools. Not that I am for it, but the Supreme Court declared it to be legal nearly 20 years ago, so what's the holdup? I admit it is a great campaign talking point to win votes, much like several other hot-button issues that nothing has been done about for decades.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
I would just say homeschool kids must participate in the district the reside in and not play for a private school what so ever

I think they lost the ability to play for that district when they decided not to go to school there.

I get tired of there just kids bs yes parents pay taxes and if they want them to play send them to school.

Reactions: RawMeat
I just don’t see the big deal. This is the land of the free but let’s put all these rules in place because of feelings.

A parent’s decision for a child’s education shouldn’t dictate whether a kid can participate in a public provided activity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT