ADVERTISEMENT

Greenfield

Mister_Wizard

Aug 26, 2016

Didn’t want to hijack the other thread that referenced a Marionville loss to Greenfield in 1977, but that brought back memories. The attached video is about 13 minutes long but possibly worth the time for those of us who love the underdog stories of small school players.

This undefeated class 1A state championship team featured a first year head coach (Jim Dykens), a running back named Billy Andrews (nephew of the Houston Astros’ Bill Virdon), Johnny Wooldridge at receiver (his uncle pitched for the St Louis Cardinals), and James Reeves, an all-Stater on both sides of the ball at TE and DE who went on to play at Missouri Southern. Not bad for a school of less than 200.

And the star of the video, David McNeel, who played QB and LB, walked on and eventually started at LB for Mizzou, was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs, and played for the Grey Cup in the CFL. He was enshrined in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame.

As an 8th grader at the small school, I sat at the lunch table everyday with James and let him have any of my food he wanted, and then I finished what was left. He was nice about it and I was naive enough about it to think I was helping him to get bigger and stronger.

Good stuff!! Great memories, I remember playing on that field and gym in mid seventies and coach Jackson as well. Cool he mentioned Lamar and WC.

I was in 8th grade in 1977. Mc Neel was a std, 6'3 215, Reeves was a senior my freshman year, absolute stud. Offensive line avg around 250, fullback 200, andrews was good, they were excellent. Being from a rival school it was tough to lose to them, but they were excellent.

Wow!! That brings back memories. Dave was a freshman when I was a senior. You could tell that he was a special talent. One of the best open field tacklers that I have seen in high school. He is one of those small school players that come along once in a generation. Back in the early 80's, when Mizzou would play on TV, I was proud to let everyone know that he was a former teammate from Greenfield.

Reactions: Mister_Wizard
RIP.

Saw James on my way to Roark's Bluff about 5 years ago. He recognized me, and we talked for close to 30 mins. He still had that great smile! For such a badass on the field, he was such a nice guy off of it.

Reactions: Arcola
(GOOD TEAMS) From kraut-town to the west, knew all of those kids, all too well!
From 1974 to 1981 the Midwest conf had 4 state championships, Lockwood 74, Greenfield 77, Jasper 79, Greenwood 81. Additionally Greenwood was state runnerup in 1980. Four semifinal appearances were made by the conference; Greenfield 75, Marionville 76 in Class 1 and Stockton in 76 and 79 in Class 2. Everyweek was a dogfight in the conference. Throw in a non conference game against Ash Grove, who was loaded from 78 to 80, and you have schedule that provided a test almost evey week. Miss those days and the fierce competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT