ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Abreu

ChaoticFanatic

Mar 12, 2009
THE OZARKS
I had mentioned in another thread somewhere recently that if McCollum took the job at MSU, Abreu would probably follow him.

With McCollum taking the job at Drake, Abreu is following him and is transferring to Drake.

Willard alum finishing his career at a D1

I had mentioned in another thread somewhere recently that if McCollum took the job at MSU, Abreu would probably follow him.

With McCollum taking the job at Drake, Abreu is following him and is transferring to Drake.

Willard alum finishing his career at a D1
I understand taking players with you, but this is a big jump up from D-2.

After seeing what McCollum did at NW, I’m not gonna count him out based on one of his players coming with him 🤣
Yeah, you don't win at the level he did for as long as he did by mistake. He'll do really well at Drake. My guess is he'll do well enough to be the next HC for the Hawkeyes or the Clones soon. Either that or just kill it next year and take over for Gates after he falls on his face again.

He took 3 players with him. It'll probably help a ton with familiarity in year 1 with how he wants things to be done. If he didn't think they could help at all, then he wouldn't bring them. I don't think he wants to lose so he views it as a winning move. Stirtz (Liberty HS) is one of the 3 going with him. Butler transfer Connor Turnbull (Zumwalt North) is visiting this weekend.

Reactions: mosofan
He took 3 players with him. It'll probably help a ton with familiarity in year 1 with how he wants things to be done. If he didn't think they could help at all, then he wouldn't bring them. I don't think he wants to lose so he views it as a winning move. Stirtz (Liberty HS) is one of the 3 going with him. Butler transfer Connor Turnbull (Zumwalt North) is visiting this weekend.
My thinking is how are these 3 going to take going from starting or playing a ton to being a role model to how things are done. You go from getting the best players at D-2 to where almost certainly lose your best player after a great year to move on up the ladder. No doubt I think he will do well. It will be an adjustment though.

Reactions: mizzourahfan
My thinking is how are these 3 going to take going from starting or playing a ton to being a role model to how things are done. You go from getting the best players at D-2 to where almost certainly lose your best player after a great year to move on up the ladder. No doubt I think he will do well. It will be an adjustment though.
Here's a scalding hot take...there's not a ton of difference between national championship D-II level of play and an average mid-major conference.

Here's a scalding hot take...there's not a ton of difference between national championship D-II level of play and an average mid-major conference.
I would agree with this statement if you are referring to the Southern Conference or something but the Missouri Valley is a good jump from D2.

Yeah, you don't win at the level he did for as long as he did by mistake. He'll do really well at Drake. My guess is he'll do well enough to be the next HC for the Hawkeyes or the Clones soon. Either that or just kill it next year and take over for Gates after he falls on his face again.
or maybe go to uk in 2 years when that revolving coaching door turns again.

I would agree with this statement if you are referring to the Southern Conference or something but the Missouri Valley is a good jump from D2.
D2? Yes...The four or five best D2 programs in the country every single year? Nah. Where do you think the majority of those really good D2 players McCollum has won so many games come from?

Reactions: quadzilla200
or maybe go to uk in 2 years when that revolving coaching door turns again.
short-dunk-fail.gif

But Drake is not your average Mid-Major team when you gave players leaving for power 5 conference teams. Hawkins is the only player that has made an impact at D-1 and that was at Creighton. I'm not knocking the guy, just going to have to get some recruits in.

But Drake is not your average Mid-Major team when you gave players leaving for power 5 conference teams. Hawkins is the only player that has made an impact at D-1 and that was at Creighton. I'm not knocking the guy, just going to have to get some recruits in.
They're a good mid major. McCollum isn't dumb. He's got a philosophy on how to get players (level above washouts) and runs one of the most efficient offenses in basketball at any level. But if you're saying Ben McCollum is going to have to get good players at Drake for Drake to be any good, I'd agree. (speaking of scalding hot takes)

~Nebraska fan.
Nebraska football isn't UK basketball in any shape or form. Nebraska football was, is, and always will be Tom Osborne. UK basketball won a national title with freaking Tubby Smith. You could coach hoops there. Holler at me in a few years. In the meantime, keep hoping Captain Nerd Pants can keep winning football games. I enjoy taking the little one to games when it's fun.

Nebraska football isn't UK basketball in any shape or form. Nebraska football was, is, and always will be Tom Osborne. UK basketball won a national title with freaking Tubby Smith. You could coach hoops there. Holler at me in a few years. In the meantime, keep hoping Captain Nerd Pants can keep winning football games. I enjoy taking the little one to games when it's fun.
They won before Dr. Tom.

keep on dreaming.

No NIL $$=you gonna tank.

with all due to respect to Daniel Abreu, he's not being signed to be their best player, or even the best player transferring from NW

Folks in the KC area should be pretty intrigued by Drake - Manyawu is in from Wyoming, the 3 from NWMSU, Joey Matteoni, some smoke about Kellan Boylan from Air Force, rumors McCollum is why Isaia Howard from Plattsburg decommitted from NDSU, and rumors they're in on Kael Combs as well out of Nixa by way of Wyomnig.

Absolutely wild that a team in Des Moines is trying to build the Western MO/KC Kansas team instead of, I don't know, Mo State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT