ADVERTISEMENT

Carthage Jon Guidie suspended?

It's sad what the Globe has become. I'm old school, I like to hold the paper, turn the pages and do the crossword. But based on the current state of the newspaper, I'll be done when the current subscription runs out in December. At $111/quarter, it's just not worth it and that's not a great situation.

It's been a point of frustration for guys like Anvil and I who are still doing research and records projects on numerous teams/programs/schools. When they quit running football box scores, basketball box scores, softball/baseball linescores ... pretty much eliminating the agate page, it was frustrating. Now we will never know if anyone will ever have complete records for various programs ... and I'm not even talking about individual stats, just simple team W-L records, opponents, dates, locations, etc.

Wendell Redden, Anvil, Henry and Fryar all stressed the importance of tracking down every score of every game in our area to make sure we had at least every score so we could do league standings during the week. Knowing the effort is all for naught now, it makes me wonder if anyone cares anymore.

Another point of emphasis was making sure to spell every name right, no mom wanted to ever clip a box score of her son's 25-point game only to have his name spelled wrong. It's funny to me to this day because names like VanBecelaere (St. Mary's-Colgan) and Rosewicz (Cassville) were so easy to spell because we memorized them.

The assistant is not pressing charges. It seemed like the whole thing was settled, apologies were made, things were good. Someone told Mommy & Daddy, Mommy & Daddy have an ax to grind with Guidie, they go to high school administration or the AD or hell even the super, I don’t know. The whole thing is asinine.
In some towns, folks with an ax to grind go to the booster club. NOT the school administration and/or AD. Because folks know where the real power lies...

Towns like Dillon Texas.
Buddy Garrity is the man.
hqdefault.jpg

I think its a direct reflection on the current state of local sports media product in the greater Joplin area ... I don't think I can recall a time where sports media coverage is as bad as it is right now. The local TV guys cannot pronounce towns or names correctly, graphics have so many errors and the highlight shows on Friday night have become so rushed to produce, the quality has suffered dramatically. I don't fault the effort, it just leaves a lot to be desired.

Myself and several former sports writers got a good hardy laugh at the Joplin Globe when it was promoting its special football section featuring 16 teams. I had to laugh because I can remember years where I wrote 11 preview stories on the Big 8 Conference alone and then still had to write previews for teams in the SEK and CNC in Southeast Kansas. I wrote more stories for the football preview in one year than the Globe did this year.

Spoke to Anvil Welch the other day (he is doing well and told me to tell everyone he said hello) and he let out a good laugh when I told him about the Globe and its 16 team preview.
Not unique to Joplin, local media is trash almost everywhere now. Aside from limited or low quality coverage of events I’ve also notice cutting back on local staff even on camera weather people, and outsourcing the weather reports to some random person from another region, probably at another station owned by the same media conglomerate. You can tell because they mispronounce a lot of towns and are never visible on camera at the same time as the anchor.

Especially with newspaper it’s a death spiral. Paper gets sold to a conglomerate that cuts cost which reduces quality. People cancel so the corp owner raises prices to maintain revenue which makes more people cancel, so they cut more cost and further reduce quality… and so on.

It's been a point of frustration for guys like Anvil and I who are still doing research and records projects on numerous teams/programs/schools. When they quit running football box scores, basketball box scores, softball/baseball linescores ... pretty much eliminating the agate page, it was frustrating. Now we will never know if anyone will ever have complete records for various programs ... and I'm not even talking about individual stats, just simple team W-L records, opponents, dates, locations, etc.

Wendell Redden, Anvil, Henry and Fryar all stressed the importance of tracking down every score of every game in our area to make sure we had at least every score so we could do league standings during the week. Knowing the effort is all for naught now, it makes me wonder if anyone cares anymore.

Another point of emphasis was making sure to spell every name right, no mom wanted to ever clip a box score of her son's 25-point game only to have his name spelled wrong. It's funny to me to this day because names like VanBecelaere (St. Mary's-Colgan) and Rosewicz (Cassville) were so easy to spell because we memorized them.
I really appreciated and loved the box scores! I miss them. Thank you and all the guys for all your amazing work.

Not unique to Joplin, local media is trash almost everywhere now. Aside from limited or low quality coverage of events I’ve also notice cutting back on local staff even on camera weather people, and outsourcing the weather reports to some random person from another region, probably at another station owned by the same media conglomerate. You can tell because they mispronounce a lot of towns and are never visible on camera at the same time as the anchor.

Especially with newspaper it’s a death spiral. Paper gets sold to a conglomerate that cuts cost which reduces quality. People cancel so the corp owner raises prices to maintain revenue which makes more people cancel, so they cut more cost and further reduce quality… and so on.
When you see the news folks on location, they were in a station van, had a driver and a camera man, and the anchor was dressed up. Now they arrive in their own car, anchor sets up a tripod and films themselves. Most of them are young, have little background in what they are talking about, and are paid nothing like they used to be.

In the mineral area, KREI/KTJJ/KJFF had the endzone show for probably 40 years. Each station broadcast a game of the week, and then the endzone show went on for an hour or so afterwards. Local coaches interviews, continuous score updates, and highlights from games around the state. Few months ago, bought out, cleaned house, and no local programming. It's just going to continue.

It's sad what the Globe has become. I'm old school, I like to hold the paper, turn the pages and do the crossword. But based on the current state of the newspaper, I'll be done when the current subscription runs out in December. At $111/quarter, it's just not worth it and that's not a great situation.
What is this "paper" you speak of?....."Pages"?.....I'm confused

• Haha
Reactions: 86THS
When you see the news folks on location, they were in a station van, had a driver and a camera man, and the anchor was dressed up. Now they arrive in their own car, anchor sets up a tripod and films themselves. Most of them are young, have little background in what they are talking about, and are paid nothing like they used to be.

In the mineral area, KREI/KTJJ/KJFF had the endzone show for probably 40 years. Each station broadcast a game of the week, and then the endzone show went on for an hour or so afterwards. Local coaches interviews, continuous score updates, and highlights from games around the state. Few months ago, bought out, cleaned house, and no local programming. It's just going to continue.
Man I miss those SEMO Friday nights.

There are basically no true journalists at the local level anymore in many if not most markets. At least one of the stations here I have noticed has started bringing on foreign interns in place of hiring reporters. They basically respond to requests for media coverage like when a local business is expanding or there is a pancake feed. But they don't investigate anything. When there are situations they don't ask probing questions they just let them speak and then air the response.

There are basically no true journalists at the local level anymore in many if not most markets. At least one of the stations here I have noticed has started bringing on foreign interns in place of hiring reporters. They basically respond to requests for media coverage like when a local business is expanding or there is a pancake feed. But they don't investigate anything. When there are situations they don't ask probing questions they just let them speak and then air the response.
200w.gif

He looked good last week with 2tds... Not sure what happened, but he's too good for d2.
It’s not uncommon for players who go to a service academy to realize they don’t want the military life. And if they’re there for football more than they are for the service, I believe the service academies have a year of prep before you actually get admitted to the university, which means no shot at playing in a legit football game for a year, I’d say he wanted to play ball so he left and went somewhere that he could play ball and didn’t have to focus on his pending military service for a year and then have to work your way up the depth chart after that.

That’s just my 2 cents. I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
It's a good thing all this has gone down in a stretch of games that are not challenging for Carthage. What coach has been acting HC on the sidelines?

The Glob.

Reactions: I2R I
Yeah, i mean, in my eyes, if someone is too good for d2 then they are in d1.....thats kinda how it works
The division a player is playing in doesn't necessarily match their talent level. We see that literally all the time.
I was simply saying he's good enough to make at least an fcs roster. I have zero knowledge of or interest in his situation, it was just an observation.

The division a player is playing in doesn't necessarily match their talent level. We see that literally all the time.
I was simply saying he's good enough to make at least an fcs roster. I have zero knowledge of or interest in his situation, it was just an observation.
That's definitely true at times. Situations always arise like grades or behavior but to me that kinda means you just don't deserve to be in D1 and should be in a lower level til you get your life together and deserve to be on a D1 squad again. I guess I wasn't looking at it from a purely talent perspective so I get what you're saying.

Carthage fans teaching everyone a thing or two. If something embarrassing comes up about your team, Ignore it or Change the subject.
ignore-ignored.gif

tkt-smart.gif
Or maybe it’s not something that’s not known or been shared with the general public. Galaxy brain stuff!
stress i need a drink GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT