ADVERTISEMENT

Carthage Jon Guidie suspended?

tigershs

Mar 26, 2009
Heard from a longtime friend from Carthage, that he was suspended for punching one of his assistant coaches last week. Any truth to this? I have heard this guy is hard to work for but this sounds kind of crazy.

Last edited:
Heard from a longtime friend from Carthage, that he was suspended for punching one of his assistant coaches last week. Any truth to this? I have heard this guy is hard to work for but this sounds kind of crazy.

It was a bitch slap not a punch.

Reactions: 86THS
Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Slap-fight.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Taco Tico
I heard it is a 2 week suspension. Until the next board meeting. Assistant coach might be pressing charges? any one know the exact situation? Cru66?

I heard it is a 2 week suspension. Until the next board meeting. Assistant coach might be pressing charges? any one know the exact situation? Cru66?
The assistant is not pressing charges. It seemed like the whole thing was settled, apologies were made, things were good. Someone told Mommy & Daddy, Mommy & Daddy have an ax to grind with Guidie, they go to high school administration or the AD or hell even the super, I don’t know. The whole thing is asinine.

I haven't heard anything about it, usually this kind of thing would go through town like wildfire. I know some people don't like Guidie but I doubt most people in C-town are interested in showing him the door given what he's done with Carthage football.

Reactions: MIZZOU71 and 86THS
Between this and the comedy gold Carthage city council coverage, there’s a lot to chuckle or shake the head about when it comes to that place. At least the teenagers are representing right now.
Comedy gold is pretty accurate if it wasn't actually happening. One could make a great tv show just by covering the meetings and getting some juicy behind the scenes interviews.

Reactions: Baldguy
The assistant is not pressing charges. It seemed like the whole thing was settled, apologies were made, things were good. Someone told Mommy & Daddy, Mommy & Daddy have an ax to grind with Guidie, they go to high school administration or the AD or hell even the super, I don’t know. The whole thing is asinine.
If the two adults involved are good, it's hard to imagine this amounting to more than this supposed two game suspension that was stated earlier. Hard to imagine local media hasn't picked up on it though.

Reactions: I2R I
If the two adults involved are good, it's hard to imagine this amounting to more than this supposed two game suspension that was stated earlier. Hard to imagine local media hasn't picked up on it though.
The general consensus is yes, both Guidie and the assistant were good and the assistant didn’t want to make a big deal about it. It is unknown why Carthage admin has gone in hard on this, unless they’re wanting to make an example of him? I don’t know. It seems to be a lot. Luckily they are in a stretch of the season currently where the opponents aren’t the strongest they will face this season.

Agreed. The bubble-headed bleach-blonde that comes on at 5, loves dirty laundry.
Well, to be fair...it's probably news in that area. If nothing more than to just report what happened once it gets out. Hell, Guidie is probably one of the 10 most recognizable people in Jasper County.

• Haha
Reactions: Treadmill and I2R I
The general consensus is yes, both Guidie and the assistant were good and the assistant didn’t want to make a big deal about it. It is unknown why Carthage admin has gone in hard on this, unless they’re wanting to make an example of him? I don’t know. It seems to be a lot. Luckily they are in a stretch of the season currently where the opponents aren’t the strongest they will face this season.
My guess is legal council made the decision. They're no doubt in CYA mode for future litigation. While the assistant says he's good now, he could change his mind in the future.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
My guess is legal council made the decision. They're no doubt in CYA mode for future litigation. While the assistant says he's good now, he could change his mind in the future.
He could make himself a very rich man. I mean in any other profession getting struck by your superior would not go well for that company.

chevy-chase-vacation.gif

Last edited:
Well, to be fair...it's probably news in that area. If nothing more than to just report what happened once it gets out. Hell, Guidie is probably one of the 10 most recognizable people in Jasper County.
Is that a little like being the prettiest girl in Mayberry?

COC game of the year is next week..............

Reactions: Jordan_Belfort
He could make himself a very rich man. I mean in any other profession getting struck by your superior would not go well for that company.

chevy-chase-vacation.gif
Truth. Which is why the district is "doing something about it". Or at least my guess.

I think its a direct reflection on the current state of local sports media product in the greater Joplin area ... I don't think I can recall a time where sports media coverage is as bad as it is right now. The local TV guys cannot pronounce towns or names correctly, graphics have so many errors and the highlight shows on Friday night have become so rushed to produce, the quality has suffered dramatically. I don't fault the effort, it just leaves a lot to be desired.

Myself and several former sports writers got a good hardy laugh at the Joplin Globe when it was promoting its special football section featuring 16 teams. I had to laugh because I can remember years where I wrote 11 preview stories on the Big 8 Conference alone and then still had to write previews for teams in the SEK and CNC in Southeast Kansas. I wrote more stories for the football preview in one year than the Globe did this year.

Spoke to Anvil Welch the other day (he is doing well and told me to tell everyone he said hello) and he let out a good laugh when I told him about the Globe and its 16 team preview.

Last edited:
I think its a direct reflection on the current state of local sports media product in the greater Joplin area ... I don't think I can recall a time where sports media coverage is as bad as it is right now. The local TV guys cannot pronounce towns or names correctly, graphics have so many errors and the highlight shows on Friday night have become so rushed to produce, the quality has suffered dramatically. I don't fault the effort, it just leaves a lot to be desired.

Myself and several former sports writers got a good hardy laugh at the Joplin Globe when it was promoting its special football section featuring 16 teams. I had to laugh because I can remember years where I wrote 11 preview stories on the Big 8 Conference alone and then still had to write previews teams in the SEK and CNC in Southeast Kansas. I wrote more stories for the football preview in one year than the Globe did this year.

Spoke to Anvil Welch the other day (he is doing well and told me to tell everyone he said hello) and he let out a good laugh when I told him about the Globe and its 16 team preview.
It's sad what the Globe has become. I'm old school, I like to hold the paper, turn the pages and do the crossword. But based on the current state of the newspaper, I'll be done when the current subscription runs out in December. At $111/quarter, it's just not worth it and that's not a great situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT