ADVERTISEMENT

Big 8 and Mt. Vernon

squeal_like_a_pig

Jan 30, 2002
With Mt. Vernon making the semifinals, doesn't that make 6 different Big 8 teams that have been in the semifinals or better in the last 8 years? And Carl Junction is not one of them. CJ was a member for 6 of those years.

Sounds like a pretty good football conference.

Cassville was the state Championship in 08,09 made it to the semis in 10 and quarterfinals in 11! Monett made it to the semis in 12,14 and won state in 16! Seneca was the state runner up in 13! Aurora made the semis in 15 and Lamar is Lamar!
Big 8 has been is the best small school conference for football over the last 10yrs! Crazy thing is in most cases none of these teams were the big 8 champ but rather a 2nd or 3rd place finisher!

Cassville was the state Championship in 08,09 made it to the semis in 10 and quarterfinals in 11! Monett made it to the semis in 12,14 and won state in 16! Seneca was the state runner up in 13! Aurora made the semis in 15 and Lamar is Lamar!
Big 8 has been is the best small school conference for football over the last 10yrs! Crazy thing is in most cases none of these teams were the big 8 champ but rather a 2nd or 3rd place finisher!
I think one of the years Cassville won State, Monett was conference and District champs. That was back when the 2nd team out of the four team district made the playoffs as well. How many times has Reeds Spring advanced only to be defeated by the Big 8 number 2 thru 4? Very tough competive conference. Good thread.

I think one of the years Cassville won State, Monett was conference and District champs. That was back when the 2nd team out of the four team district made the playoffs as well. How many times has Reeds Spring advanced only to be defeated by the Big 8 number 2 thru 4? Very tough competive conference. Good thread.
Last ten Big 8 champs
08-Monett
09/12 Cassville
13/14 CJ
15/17 Lamar
Since 2012 reeds has gone 53-16. Nine of those loses have been to big 8 teams and for six straight years a big 8 team has knocked them outta districts three of them being for a district championship 14,15,17!

Seeing better competition weekly should help them improve overall and ready for the playoffs come week 10 next year.
I don't think that being ready has been a problem. They beat two Big 8 teams convincingly in the playoffs to get to the Finals. The Championship game was very competitive and in the end a two point margin. In that district, if they dont win it, it will be a Big 8 team that knocks them out, they make up the district.

Going to be interesting when Big 8 and COC small actually join up, will this help the COC small schools or hinder the Big 8 schools? Monett beat Logan Rogerville this year who finished 4-2 in the COC small, Monett however would finish with just one win in the Big 8. MV finished just 3-4 in the Big 8 and in 5th place and would knock off Reeds at Reeds who finished unbeaten in the COC small. Be interesting to see how things shake out next year?

I don't think that being ready has been a problem. They beat two Big 8 teams convincingly in the playoffs to get to the Finals. The Championship game was very competitive and in the end a two point margin. In that district, if they dont win it, it will be a Big 8 team that knocks them out, they make up the district.

They beat a team with 1 win in the Big 8 and Cassville who I don't know what happened to them? They lost to a Big 8 school who finished 3-4 and got beat soundly by a Cassville team just a few weeks earlier, and they lost at home for like the billionth time, not sure I would be pounding my chest on that?

They beat a team with 1 win in the Big 8 and Cassville who I don't know what happened to them? They lost to a Big 8 school who finished 3-4 and got beat soundly by a Cassville team just a few weeks earlier, and they lost at home for like the billionth time, not sure I would be pounding my chest on that?
Looking for any part of my post where I was "pounding my chest". You are trying to paint the teams that beat RS in the worst light. MTV is playing incredible football right now... You pointed out that they finished 3-4, which is true. But you are leaving out that more recently they went on the road and beat two of those teams that beat them and did it convincingly. That includes blowing out a team that went 6-1 in the league. Then a week later only beat the Wolves by 2. Now, you will never find me putting the Big 8 down. I have enjoyed watching the teams mentioned above making their runs and have cheered for them to do so.

ESPN planning a 30 for 30 on the conference. It must be documented for future generations.
As a Doc Guy I have some inside knowledge of the filming. The Mox knows you are wrong...they are doing a 'Last Chance U' type of reality show about the Big 8. Here is a preview of one of the Big 8 coaches...I will not name names here....
tenor.gif

I think everyone is 'right' in this post.
Mt. Vernon truly is playing as a totally different team than they did thru the regular season. They are keeping the internal struggles they had mid-season close to their vest [as they should]. I'm glad they worked it all out.
That being said ... the numbers don't lie. RS did enjoy some success in the Big 8 this year.

Reactions: I2R I
Now, back to the original subject of this post... It is quite impressive and speaks very well for the power of the league as a whole. Hope to see Coach Cox and Mount Vernon finish this thing off like the Cubs did a year ago.

Outside of Lamar there’s always a few teams in the mix in class 3. It’s a tough conference. (Lamar has been a consistent presence.)

And before Lamar it was the Newt in class 2, although they did not win any state titles, you knew they were going to make a playoff run. The big 8 would prepare Bunn and his boy.

Looking for any part of my post where I was "pounding my chest". You are trying to paint the teams that beat RS in the worst light. MTV is playing incredible football right now... You pointed out that they finished 3-4, which is true. But you are leaving out that more recently they went on the road and beat two of those teams that beat them and did it convincingly. That includes blowing out a team that went 6-1 in the league. Then a week later only beat the Wolves by 2. Now, you will never find me putting the Big 8 down. I have enjoyed watching the teams mentioned above making their runs and have cheered for them to do so.

That happens every year in the Big 8 and district, this is nothing new? In two of Monett's runs they finish 3rd and 4th in the conference we knocked off unbeaten Cassville one year on the Road. Aurora knocked us off three years ago at home. Welcome to the Big 8 where conference standings or finish doesn't matter come district time!

As a Doc Guy I have some inside knowledge of the filming. The Mox knows you are wrong...they are doing a 'Last Chance U' type of reality show about the Big 8. Here is a preview of one of the Big 8 coaches...I will not name names here....
tenor.gif
Well said Mox. Way to show some class by not naming names. ALL of the Doc Guys, except me, have plenty of knowledge about filming docs. I bet Stef and Bosko could write a book!

I think both side of this have been well presented. Just my humble opinion that playing against competition thru the year that has been a tick better in the big eight may help them advance past district playoffs in the future. I think it was Bailey that said in his Ava post game that sometimes you need adversity to reveal what is broke so you can fix it. I got no dog....just an opinion.

Reactions: NorthWestBleachers
Well said Mox. Way to show some class by not naming names. ALL of the Doc Guys, except me, have plenty of knowledge about filming docs. I bet Stef and Bosko could write a book!
i want to know who he is talking about....
Youre darn right we could write a book! Maybe Stef and I can meet at the Ampipe pool hall one night and write one! I would LOVE to know what Mox is talking about as well!!

Reactions: shoot90draw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT