ADVERTISEMENT

Best Small town stadium and atmosphere

In the SCA Mtn Grove has a great stadium and a decent atmosphere for games. The best atmosphere would be at Thayer I think. They always have a good crowd and lots of things going on. And just a hard place to go play.

The Jaws of Death use to be really awesome, but hasn't been as good the last few years.

What are some of the places you have been (small town) that have a neat stadium and atmosphere for a Friday night game
I miss the old Adrian field. Don't get me wrong the new stadium is great and one of the best around but there is just something about old fields stuck in the middle of town that make the games that much better.

Plus we had AstroDirt.

The Jaws of Death use to be really awesome, but hasn't been as good the last few years.
JOD used to be awesome. But even though Camdenton is a small town, the school is huge so IDK if id put it in the small town category of stadiums if that makes sense.

BrowserPreview_tmp-4.gif

• Haha
Reactions: thetophat2021
Been awhile but liked when Webb played at Savannah. Knkw a lot has changed since then. The mascot dance off before the game was great. Like when both teams sit on the same side. Cheer/band battle.

Jasper and Mark Gilbreath Field... the fact they named it after Mark is spectacular, but it sits next to the train tracks, and I did witness an official time out and clock stoppage that occurred due to the unending train whistle. My late Dad worked with some of the engineers that went through there, and they would claim they hoped to cause a interruption if they could. It kind of gives a Brewster's Million feel, without the million of course.

Cass Midway if I recalled had a field and school that seemed in the middle of nowhere, yet had a herd of cattle grazing right next to it... kind of ironic when you realize you're literally on the outskirts of the KC urban sprawl.

Rich Hill, with the old high school building and rock bleachers, could give you the feel of a an old prison yard. You didn't dare drink the water or shower there either.

Now, for some fields I think that would be fun to watch a game at would include Odessa Permian at Ratliff Field (not really small school though), and I'd like to see one up in Barrow, Alaska, on the blue field next to the Arctic. Not sure if I'll ever make it to those. Of course, just to pull up and watch some 6-man game at a spot in the road in Texas or Kansas might be cool as well; one would think the concession and food might be decent at some of those.

As a former member of the media, I enjoyed covering games at Seneca because the press box view felt as if you were hanging over the field and as close as you can be without being on the field.

Took my son down there for a game earlier this season and he said he enjoyed being that close to the action to watch a game. He enjoyed it. Not to mention the Totem Pole, the fire trucks, the crowd sometimes 3-5 people deep around the fence, outside the fence, inside the stadium. Seneca honestly does it right for history and atmosphere.

A mention goes to Cassville ... I always enjoyed the backdrop of the hills east of the stadium especially with the fall colors. Saturday afternoon playoff games with the smoke from tailgate grills lingering over the valley, the smell of the food and the packed house of a crowd always felt like small school football at its finest.

Reactions: Baldguy and webbpa
Jasper and Mark Gilbreath Field... the fact they named it after Mark is spectacular, but it sits next to the train tracks, and I did witness an official time out and clock stoppage that occurred due to the unending train whistle. My late Dad worked with some of the engineers that went through there, and they would claim they hoped to cause a interruption if they could. It kind of gives a Brewster's Million feel, without the million of course.

Cass Midway if I recalled had a field and school that seemed in the middle of nowhere, yet had a herd of cattle grazing right next to it... kind of ironic when you realize you're literally on the outskirts of the KC urban sprawl.

Rich Hill, with the old high school building and rock bleachers, could give you the feel of a an old prison yard. You didn't dare drink the water or shower there either.

Now, for some fields I think that would be fun to watch a game at would include Odessa Permian at Ratliff Field (not really small school though), and I'd like to see one up in Barrow, Alaska, on the blue field next to the Arctic. Not sure if I'll ever make it to those. Of course, just to pull up and watch some 6-man game at a spot in the road in Texas or Kansas might be cool as well; one would think the concession and food might be decent at some of those.
The field in Alaska looks awesome. That would be a fun trip to see a game!

They kind of split the home stand in half. It was a fun atmosphere. They annoyed us the first half....we annoyed them the 2nd half. Remember cold front at halftime. Went from 60 to 25 during the break.
60 to 25?? doesnt sound like the "atmosphere" was very fun.....

Smithville, especially before the beautiful addition of the weight room and wrestling room. Still a great atmosphere and esthetic. The trucks lined up with people sitting in truck beds in chairs, couches, you name it. It is still a great site to see with all the green flying high on the street signs heading into the school every friday home game!

The Stadium VIEW at Branson is hard to beat. The atmosphere at Seneca is like none other. Its a little different for visiting media, being "outside" and close enough to hear your coach talk to the team, but as far as small town Friday Night, the place is as good as it gets. Lamar is not a bad place to visit either, loved the interaction with fans there.

The Stadium VIEW at Branson is hard to beat. The atmosphere at Seneca is like none other. Its a little different for visiting media, being "outside" and close enough to hear your coach talk to the team, but as far as small town Friday Night, the place is as good as it gets. Lamar is not a bad place to visit either, loved the interaction with fans there.
I was just about to mention Branson. Love that place.

Reactions: Craig Hull
Is it Bransons HS that looks like a prison or am I thinking of Ozark?
The HS does look a bit like a prison from the back (east) of the building, but the view from the top of that press box isn't too shabby either. Looks east over the Ozark foothills. Not as impressive as Bransons, but it's pretty.

Reactions: trumanbulldog42
Miller has a great small town football feel. Trucks parked all the way around the field, backed upright to the track with people sitting in every tailgate. Pierce city has a near old stadium as well. Back in the day, one of the locals would sit out side the fence on the opposite side hill and fire a small cannon off every time the eagles scored.

did they have enough visitor seating?
The people at Savannah knew how to put on a big game. Everyone in town brought their golf carts to ferry the Webb fans from parking areas to the stadium entrance.

And they took their butt kicking at the end with grace and dignity 😂😂

The people at Savannah knew how to put on a big game. Everyone in town brought their golf carts to ferry the Webb fans from parking areas to the stadium entrance.

And they took their butt kicking at the end with grace and dignity 😂😂
Seems like a long time ago huh?

The HS does look a bit like a prison from the back (east) of the building, but the view from the top of that press box isn't too shabby either. Looks east over the Ozark foothills. Not as impressive as Bransons, but it's pretty.
Ozark’s stadium does look significantly better with the new turf they’ve put in recently, that old turf was starting to look rough.

“Best” may not be the right word, but Wellington was/is? unique. On one end if you kick an extra point you have to go into a corn field to retrieve it. An extra point on the other end and it rolls down a long steep hill.

“Best” may not be the right word, but Wellington was/is? unique. On one end if you kick an extra point you have to go into a corn field to retrieve it. An extra point on the other end and it rolls down a long steep hill.
In 84 we played a playoff game hosted by Wellington at Wentworth. It was 'brisk' that day. Didn't much care for that stadium.

Think they had flooding. Hadn't allowed a rushing TD all year. We put 4 on them.

The comeback and spiked hot chocolate that smelled suspiciously like peppermint???
I was at that game. Future K-State starting pitcher Blake McFadden tore it up the first half then (not just weather) Webb did the customary JRod halftime adjustment and took the passing game away. Remember it like yesterday. FROZE MY (BLEEP) OFF especially in the 4th quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT