ADVERTISEMENT

Best Small town stadium and atmosphere

I really love Mt. Vernon’s current stadium! Nice, new, clean, and most important of all, no soccer lines on the turf! 🤣
There are a few smaller schools I pass by on occasion that seem like they'd be a fun place to watch a game just based on the stadium setup. Mt Vernon is one. Reeds Spring looks nice and so does Monett.

Reactions: MoSooner69
I am biased, and I realize that it is beginning to show it's age, but Burlington Field in Brookfield to me is exactly what small town football should look like.

New facilities are beautiful, but to me it always feels special to play in a historical facility with no track around it. Brookfield has played at Burlington Field since 1935, and the concrete stadium seating opened in 1947. If you wander under the stadium late at night, you can hear the voices of the past.

The old field that used to hold the Mineral Water Bowl in Excelsior was nice to the eye back in the day
That field is still there but I don't think it is used for anything., just not worth tearing down. Built with WPA cement in the 30s, it may last forever.

It was not due to flooding. I think it was because of crowd size. The original Wellington field was northeast of where it now is and ran north south. It did not have much in the way of bleachers. It was a few years later, the were able to get the land and build the current field.
BTW, when I looked in the KC Star on the write-up of the game, it was true that Wellington had not given up a running TD all year, the second Adrian TD was on a pass. Head coach at Adrian was then Randy Morrow before he moved on to Warsaw.
George Bruto was an assistant coach and succeeded Morrow. Little known fact is that the guy who succeeded Bruto was a sophomore in high school and had traveled to see this game. Correct on crowd size being the reason for the change of venue.

I am biased, and I realize that it is beginning to show it's age, but Burlington Field in Brookfield to me is exactly what small town football should look like.

New facilities are beautiful, but to me it always feels special to play in a historical facility with no track around it. Brookfield has played at Burlington Field since 1935, and the concrete stadium seating opened in 1947. If you wander under the stadium late at night, you can hear the voices of the past.
There was a track around it - 5 laps to the mile and square on the turns. Lasted until they built the new facility then let it go to grass.

There was a track around it - 5 laps to the mile and square on the turns. Lasted until they built the new facility then let it go to grass.
True. It was a six lane pea gravel track, but the team used the track as their sideline. The fans are right on top of you. At the newer facilities with 8 lane tracks, they are much farther away.

There are a few smaller schools I pass by on occasion that seem like they'd be a fun place to watch a game just based on the stadium setup. Mt Vernon is one. Reeds Spring looks nice and so does Monett.
Monett's stadium and facilities are nice, the atmosphere to me just isn't up to par. Fans are just really quiet and when they do decide to get loud it's always when Monett is on offense. Never quite understood. Glad I had a great student section when I played that made sure the defense fed off of their energy.

In the spirit of the track being the sideline: Until the early 90s, Tipton's field ran north to south with the visiting team on the east side. That east side ran right up to the infield dirt of the old baseball field that was there, reminiscent of the old days in the NFL and early season games with the pitching mound and second base very evident. I can distinctly remember a rainy, sloppy game, I make a tackle on that sideline and both the ball carrier and I sliding across the infield. I was by no means a devastating hitter, the infield was just slicker than snot. Great memories!

Reactions: Arcola
Drove in there in 1988 to see Shannon Crouch play. We were recruiting him. The town was shut down. Saw the lights first. Got to the field. It was playoff time, so it was crisp and cold. The whole home side was solid red. It was the first time I'd ever seen a tomahawk chop done to perfection. They didn't even do it in KC at that time. Kickoff. Crouch for a TD. Kind of a jaw-dropping moment. The blowout was on.
I watched Crouch there in a playoff game against Catholic. Great game. Watched him at State in 86 and 87. I think he graduated in 88, but I may be wrong. It’s been a minute.

Reactions: Arcola
I watched Crouch there in a playoff game against Catholic. Great game. Watched him at State in 86 and 87. I think he graduated in 88, but I may be wrong. It’s been a minute.
I believe you are correct. He played from 84-87 iirc .

My senior year Butler hosted them in the playoffs on a weeknight . We played on Saturday so got a chance to go down and watch.
. I remember him implanting his facemask in a butler dbacks ribcage and lifting him off the ground like he was involved in the Running of the Bulls.

It was glorious.

Reactions: I2R I
Hate they took out our pine trees and natural grass. It was a really cool spot to catch a big game. Have said several times, but my dad was key help putting in the stands in the early 70's. Pretty unique and forward thinking with the ramp accesses on the backside for the time.

Reactions: Wheels 1
Jasper and Mark Gilbreath Field... the fact they named it after Mark is spectacular, but it sits next to the train tracks, and I did witness an official time out and clock stoppage that occurred due to the unending train whistle. My late Dad worked with some of the engineers that went through there, and they would claim they hoped to cause a interruption if they could. It kind of gives a Brewster's Million feel, without the million of course.
Jasper's field has always been unique with those train tracks so close. I am also glad they named the field after a great person like Mark. And with no track around the field, the crowd is right next to the field. I attended lots of games there over 40 years ago (man, I'm old) and remember lots of footballs kicked over the fence into the pasture north of the field and kicked onto the elementary school roof south of the field. A great and unique place and atmosphere to watch a game! I haven't seen a game there for 6 years or so and need to go there again sometime!

Reactions: Baldguy and Arcola
I haven’t been there in a long time but School of the Osage has/had a nice facility kind of in the woods. The old field was even woodsier and the giant mosquitos could carry away some of the lighter freshmen. Bonus points for having a strip club a 200 yard dash from the field.

Reactions: mosports2857
@Mowestdad probably has some good input for this topic
My son and I have been to a lot of stadiums, and some even on games nights. Here are few places were bad: Lathrop's old one bad, I even took a friend there last Friday on our way to Gower. Sarcoxie's old one was bad, Butler's old one, Hogan Prep. One that I liked, Brookfield and Marceline. been to a Bell Game at both and it's crazy to see. Adrian's old place was very cool. I like Lockwood, Warrenton, Seneca and Cabool are some of my favorites. I do remember when we were in Crystal City and crossing the walking bridges that I told my son that you could throw a body over it and it would never be found. I have to say I love going to games at East Buchanan and Windsor. EB's place has come a long way in last few years.

Jasper's field has always been unique with those train tracks so close. I am also glad they named the field after a great person like Mark. And with no track around the field, the crowd is right next to the field. I attended lots of games there over 40 years ago (man, I'm old) and remember lots of footballs kicked over the fence into the pasture north of the field and kicked onto the elementary school roof south of the field. A great and unique place and atmosphere to watch a game! I haven't seen a game there for 6 years or so and need to go there again sometime!
That plot north of football field does have quite a history. One owner put a little pond in it at one point in the 90s I believe and it became a mosquito trap that fed on everyone in the earlier games prior to frost. Also that owner didn’t want people going over retrieve the balls either, so the school had to install a net for a while that was a pain in the tail. Finally around 20 years or so ago, the school was able to buy it, bulldoze the pond, and I believe it now has a practice track on it.

Reactions: mosofan
Pierce City's stadium was hit hard by a storm in the mid-seventies. The storm took off the roof of the elementary school just to the east of the stadium. The decision was made to enlist the National Guard to replace the concrete baseball/football seating with a track and proper football field. Pierce City played their home games at Sarcoxie in 1979 while the field was redone. The new track was a dream of Ted Keebaugh's and to this day, Keebaugh Stadium hosts the Hillbilly Relays. It sits in bowl and is a great place to catch a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT