ADVERTISEMENT

Back from Vacation!!

bullitpdq68

Sep 22, 2005
Home of the Cubs!!
Went down to Liberal Kansas to spend time with family and watch my daughter coach some softball. She took us for a tour of the campuses and holy cow do they have some nice facilities down there. Both Junior highs have 8 lane trackes and turf fields and stadiums and Weight rooms that would rival most High schools around here, and both buildings are almost new. This is not a rich town by any means but the money they put into thier facilities is impressive. Her softball team travels in a charter bus painted up in the school colors one of many the school has. They really take care of thier athletes down there, they even have a meal allowance to purchares the meals for the kids while traveling. Pretty impressive considering it is Kansas.. for sure.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Years ago, I started teaching at a MS school north of Wichita. One of the history teachers, Ralph, grew up in Liberal where his father was the head coach. Beacause of Liberal's location they played schools in CO, OK, TX and NM.
Ralph was the soph team QB so expecting to ride the bench. The starting QB was hurt so the JV QB was going to start at a game they were playing in NM. The JV QB decided to flip the bird at a passing NM highway patrolman. HP pulled the bus over, got on the bus, pointed at the JV QB and told him to come with him. Ralph got his 1st starting assignment that night.

Years ago, I started teaching at a MS school north of Wichita. One of the history teachers, Ralph, grew up in Liberal where his father was the head coach. Beacause of Liberal's location they played schools in CO, OK, TX and NM.
Ralph was the soph team QB so expecting to ride the bench. The starting QB was hurt so the JV QB was going to start at a game they were playing in NM. The JV QB decided to flip the bird at a passing NM highway patrolman. HP pulled the bus over, got on the bus, pointed at the JV QB and told him to come with him. Ralph got his 1st starting assignment that night.

Nothing like being harassed by a bad cop (who doesn't uphold the Constitution) for exercising your First Amendment rights. Perfect hypothetical for a civil rights lawsuit.

I used to work in Liberal KS a couple of times a year. The community seems tight and well run. A lot of jobs out there but it’s hard work. The high school used to have a really good soccer team.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
This was 50 years ago. Consider the times, but I think then the "bird" would be considered a violent threat.

I used to work in Liberal KS a couple of times a year. The community seems tight and well run. A lot of jobs out there but it’s hard work. The high school used to have a really good soccer team.
Once you get past Wichita, that drive is pretty flat and boring. However it seems like every town has a nice hotel even the tiny ones, Seemed so odd. Liberal had some really nice hotels.

Once you get past Wichita, that drive is pretty flat and boring. However it seems like every town has a nice hotel even the tiny ones, Seemed so odd. Liberal had some really nice hotels.
thinking its pretty flat in boring before you even reach Wichita.. we used to joke about setting the cruise, locking the steering and taking a nap..

Reactions: HomeyR
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT