ADVERTISEMENT

#4 Carthage 14 Webb City 13 - Final

Yep with GV having Truman next week there is no way for WC to get the 3 spot and then leap frog neosho to 2 from H2H result.

WC will beat raytown and play ctown in a rematch.

GV and Neosho lineup in the other semis and that should be interesting if palmer is healthy by then.
Neosho could still fall to 3 with a 13 point loss to Carthage. Webb would jump from 4 to 3 if they hold steady at 4.

I don't think they could fall far enough but maybe.dont get me wrong would love to host belton and then WC in GV lol
Neosho is up 1.63 points across 8 games (13.06 points)

Neosho loses by 13 (+15.75)
-----------------------
+10 (loss)
-13 (margin of loss)
+18.75 (strength of schedule)

Grain Valley wins by 13 (+54.25)
----------------------------
+20 (win)
+13 (margin of win)
+10 (play up 1 class)
+11.25 (strength of schedule)

54.25-15.75 = 38.5 - would be more than enough to cover the other 8 strength of schedule adjustments.

I was present for this one and was not disappointed with the game … took an hour and 56 minutes to play, I was back at my car by 9:01 pm and back home in CJ by 9:15.

I’m a neutral observer and did not have a dog in the fight, just wanted to see a good game so please disagree with my opinions if you like.

What I saw was two teams play a very physical game and each wanting to run the ball as much as possible. First half both teams appeared to want to set the tone by just beating up on each other.

Webb’s touchdown was a nice play when the tight end went into motion, came set in a three point stance and then sliced through the middle of the defense and was wide open over the middle.

Carthage’s touchdown was a fourth down play and from where I was standing I couldn’t see how close the coverage was but it was a fourth down play and the throw was short of the goal and the receiver had to make the catch and run it in.

In the second half, after Carthage stopped Webb on its initial possession, Carthage took the lead on a pass play where I don’t know if it was a blown coverage or a delay route because that kid was wide open.

Webb quickly answered on the second play of the next possession and it was a nice quarterback counter play for 70+ yards.

For all sakes and purposes, it was a one point game decided by a missed PAT otherwise I felt as if both teams played it even.

As for the officiating… it was a non-factor. The crew was not the best I’ve seen nor the worst. They did their job and I don’t think they did anything that determined the outcome of the game.

I felt like I got my monies worth.

I didn't think about the tie breaker but you are right. We pretty much know GV will win by 13 and Neosho will probably lose by 13 so the be beneficiary of that is Carthage as they would get Neosho in the semis.

Neosho is up 1.63 points across 8 games (13.06 points)

Neosho loses by 13 (+15.75)
-----------------------
+10 (loss)
-13 (margin of loss)
+18.75 (strength of schedule)

Grain Valley wins by 13 (+54.25)
----------------------------
+20 (win)
+13 (margin of win)
+10 (play up 1 class)
+11.25 (strength of schedule)

54.25-15.75 = 38.5 - would be more than enough to cover the other 8 strength of schedule adjustments.
I trust ya just didn't think it would be enough, I'm not dedicated enough to do math right now I got tiny mites game in the AM and a 6th grade game in the PM. Lol

You have a bad personal problem with them there coaches.
Not really. I didn’t like they didn’t try to go out and find the right coach. I thought that was the best all around game Webb played all year which is a testament to Coaching

Not really. I didn’t like they didn’t try to go out and find the right coach. I thought that was the best all around game Webb played all year which is a testament to Coaching
Webb will be fine for the next several years. The questions are:

1. Do parents move their kids to Webb to play for this coach? If not the effects won't be felt for several years.

2. How many games does Webb lose that they should not have because of coaching? They will out talent most teams.

😂

Spirit win for the Webb crowd. A 2 win Webb team is “pretty decent/good” in a conference that has one legit football team. Cool story.
Savage Af GIF

1. Do parents move their kids to Webb to play for this coach? If not the effects won't be felt for several years.

2. How many games does Webb lose that they should not have because of coaching? They will out talent most teams.
I have said for a long time parent interference would be the downfall of the dynasty. Webb was mostly insulated from what goes on everywhere else with parents because of JRod. But you could see it, especially with the people who moving in with no connection to the program. (Not talking transfer portal blue chips. Talking about young families with small children or started a family in the district) So many thought they knew better than a coach with a bakers dozen rings. Coach Mac will have to fight that.

I have said for a long time parent interference would be the downfall of the dynasty. Webb was mostly insulated from what goes on everywhere else with parents because of JRod. But you could see it, especially with the people who moving in with no connection to the program. (Not talking transfer portal blue chips. Talking about young families with small children or started a family in the district) So many thought they knew better than a coach with a bakers dozen rings. Coach Mac will have to fight that.
I have not been impressed with McFarland before or while at Webb. BUT in his defense he does not have Richard Correll and Mike Smith (basically two more top head coaches) on the sideline with him,,,,,,,I would like nothing more than to see him go on a 50 game win streak. I just think we would have had some of the best coaches in the Midwest apply if we would have opened up the application process

I have not been impressed with McFarland before or while at Webb. BUT in his defense he does not have Richard Correll and Mike Smith (basically two more top head coaches) on the sideline with him,,,,,,,I would like nothing more than to see him go on a 50 game win streak. I just think we would have had some of the best coaches in the Midwest apply if we would have opened up the application process
I thought they could hire like Nixa did.

Reactions: Stimie69er
Yep with GV having Truman next week there is no way for WC to get the 3 spot and then leap frog neosho to 2 from H2H result.

WC will beat raytown and play ctown in a rematch.

GV and Neosho lineup in the other semis and that should be interesting if palmer is healthy by then.
Palmer is very dangerous if he is healthy. GV has a good shot at D7 if he is healthy and defense plays good like they did Friday.

Raytown could do well against a soft secondary. They have big play ability from the QB and the WRs. It does seem like they are one of those teams where the coaches/players stack most of the talent on one side of the ball. Their defense couldn't hold up to a sustained running attack in the second half. If a team has a good running game they can eat the clock and take the big plays off the field. Dangerous on special teams as well. They are also closing the season against the presumed state favorite Platte County. That could be a good thing in round 1 of districts (assuming no injuries).

I keep thinking of Nixa dealing with the opposite. They won't have played a quality C6 opponent and then wham LSN or LS shows up who will have played each other twice and one of them a talented Rockhurst team as well. I wonder how coaches prep kids in those situations in high school. Don't have the luxury of talented practice squad guys.

Reactions: cardsfan200306
So looking at D8 we could have Fort O playing chrisman in back to back weeks. Then they would have pius X and if they get by them PC. That's a rough road but if peppers can get 100 and they can drag their drives out on offense and play great defense they can be in both those games

Reactions: quadzilla200

It depends if he is able to use what's coming up to win state championships. There were A LOT of families that moved to WC when they were winning state literally every year and most of those kids are just now starting to come through and will be for the next 5-8 years. Quite a few of them came from Carthage, CJ and Joplin. I believe you are correct, they will out-talent most teams around here, so that could mask coaching issues if they are present. The cardsbeat guy is also correct it seems to be mostly the move-in dads making the most noise about coaching and thinking they know how to fix it. They gonna get nasty real quick if next year isn't a lot better.

Since 2020 Webb City is:
  • 3-4 vs Carthage (4 straight regular season losses but 3 district wins)
  • 1-4 vs Nixa (4 losses in a row)
  • 5-3 vs Republic (winning record overall but 2 consecutive season ending losses)
  • 1-3 vs Joplin (they are 2-6 since Joplin joined the COC in '18)

That looks nothing like the previous decade. Those are not numbers indicative of a program that would get people to relocate their families. Of course there is the fact that during this same time frame - only one of those teams has actually won a state championship - Webb City. Being a good team in the regular season gets more of your kids to come out and play but doesn't necessarily attract kids from other districts. But believing you can and will win a state championship does.

This is where I think a lot of you Webbies on here are dead wrong / delusional. I think Webb would have a hard time finding a big name that would want that job. First of all, who would want to follow a legend that had as much success as Roderique? Even if you win a Championship every other year, You are simply just doing what has always been done. Doesn't prove you'r a good coach. God forbid you have a down year! Webb is not the same situation as Republic/Nixa, Teams with tons of talent but have not been able to get over the hump. Second, While Webb City's Facilities use to be the standard in the area, that is no longer the case. Just in the COC Carthage,Neosho,Nixa,Ozark and soon Republic all have Indoor Facilities and their stadiums are just as nice if not Nicer. Third, Webb has just recently gone from being one of the biggest class 4 schools to one of the smaller class 5 schools. In my opinion there is a huge difference from class 4 to 5 in Missouri. Fourth, Offensive system. From watching Webb all these years, The offense they run has made a huge impact on their success. While they have had some outstanding players over the years, this is not always the case. In games and years when they didn't have the horses they always keep games close and win-able due to their offense. Finding a National coach to run Split Back Veer would not be easy. I am sure that many outside of Webb would love to see Webb City not run split back veer ( including me). It is Who they are. If they ever stop running veer Webb will not be Webb anymore. Finally, Delusional / spoiled fan base. This has been proven on this forum this season for sure.

This is where I think a lot of you Webbies on here are dead wrong / delusional. I think Webb would have a hard time finding a big name that would want that job. First of all, who would want to follow a legend that had as much success as Roderique? Even if you win a Championship every other year, You are simply just doing what has always been done. Doesn't prove you'r a good coach. God forbid you have a down year! Webb is not the same situation as Republic/Nixa, Teams with tons of talent but have not been able to get over the hump. Second, While Webb City's Facilities use to be the standard in the area, that is no longer the case. Just in the COC Carthage,Neosho,Nixa,Ozark and soon Republic all have Indoor Facilities and their stadiums are just as nice if not Nicer. Third, Webb has just recently gone from being one of the biggest class 4 schools to one of the smaller class 5 schools. In my opinion there is a huge difference from class 4 to 5 in Missouri. Fourth, Offensive system. From watching Webb all these years, The offense they run has made a huge impact on their success. While they have had some outstanding players over the years, this is not always the case. In games and years when they didn't have the horses they always keep games close and win-able due to their offense. Finding a National coach to run Split Back Veer would not be easy. I am sure that many outside of Webb would love to see Webb City not run split back veer ( including me). It is Who they are. If they ever stop running veer Webb will not be Webb anymore. Finally, Delusional / spoiled fan base. This has been proven on this forum this season for sure.
ff60191a-64b4-4f89-8a8a-367e98d67679_text.gif

Seems to me that any Webb City thread lately always seem to be an unending debate. Here is the cold hard truth: Webb City will never be as good as they once was no matter how you slice it. A Coach like Jrod is extremely rare and Webb City had one Hell of a run when he was HC. It will be very difficult for any new HC to fill those shoes.

Last edited:
Seems to me that any Webb City thread lately always seem to be an unending debate. Here is the cold hard truth: Webb City will never be as good as they once was no matter how you slice it. A Coach like Jrod is extremely rare and Webb City had one Hell of a run when he was HC. It will be very difficult for new HC to fill those shoes.
If Webb ever found a coach like Rod again he would take a college job ASAP. It is a miracle that Webb found a guy as good as Rod who had no desire to advance

I can tell you they are already working on changes to the offense. Not moving away from the veer but making more of an effort to develop QBs and give passing a much bigger role in their game plan. I think the belief is they have to adapt or seasons like this one will become the norm. I also know they are actively seeking a strong kicker.

I've seen a little of their jr high teams and they look a bit like a hybrid of Webb City and...something else. They throw quite a bit and are pretty good at it.

I can tell you they are already working on changes to the offense. Not moving away from the veer but making more of an effort to develop QBs and give passing a much bigger role in their game plan. I think the belief is they have to adapt or seasons like this one will become the norm. I also know they are actively seeking a strong kicker.

I've seen a little of their jr high teams and they look a bit like a hybrid of Webb City and...something else. They throw quite a bit and are pretty good at it.
Old coach told me one time you gotta run the veer (each play) 1000 times in practice before you get good at it.

Either you're a veer team or you aren't.

If thats true it sure doesn't show up much. The 2 games I have seen Webb this year they have been in what I would call a traditional split back veer sets probably 90% of the time. only time they weren't were obvious passing situations they would go to a short gun look.
On a side note I had to go to one of my wife's relatives 3rd grade youth football games. He plays for Mt.Vernon. They played at Webb. When we got there 4 th grade game was going on. I was interested to see what Webb does at that age. First play I saw was Double tight split back Inside veer give to the dive back for like 8 yards. 2nd play was Inside veer but QB kept it for like a 50 yard TD. 2 point play was counter trey. It was impressive to see kids that young running that offense. 3rd grade ran split back but didn't see any veer.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
If thats true it sure doesn't show up much. The 2 games I have seen Webb this year they have been in what I would call a traditional split back veer sets probably 90% of the time. only time they weren't were obvious passing situations they would go to a short gun look.
On a side note I had to go to one of my wife's relatives 3rd grade youth football games. He plays for Mt.Vernon. They played at Webb. When we got there 4 th grade game was going on. I was interested to see what Webb does at that age. First play I saw was Double tight split back Inside veer give to the dive back for like 8 yards. 2nd play was Inside veer but QB kept it for like a 50 yard TD. 2 point play was counter trey. It was impressive to see kids that young running that offense. 3rd grade ran split back but didn't see any veer.
it's really not hard to teach a QB the veer.

"Always give unless...."

Rep rep rep.

Done.

Maybe, if they are making changes to their offense, that is why they have been struggling on that side of the ball. Why change what has worked so well for the last 40 years.

Last edited:
So tonight the Carthage JV destroyed Webb and the Webb freshman destroyed Carthage. Take from that what you wil.
That sounds about right. The Carthage soph class is very good from what I've heard and the freshmen are similar to the senior class from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT