ADVERTISEMENT

Why Poor People Continue to Vote Republican against their best interest

Gubbba Bump Shrimp

Aug 15, 2016
1. Religion: This one’s easy. Throughout human history, religion has been the go-to mechanism for getting people to act against their own best interests. With religion you can manipulate huge masses of people to do things that aren’t at all rational. Especially when you consider that many Christians are what I call “Church Christians” who seem to measure their devotion to their faith by church attendance as opposed to living their life according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. For the record, those teachings and values are pretty much the opposite of what the Republican party represents. In today’s society, many Republicans view their politics and religion as one in the same. I refer to it as “Republicanity.”

2. Abortion: While some might tie this in with religion, it’s actually different. There are people who vote for the GOP based on nothing more than their opposition to abortion. Make no mistake about it, this isn’t an issue the Republican party really cares about. In fact, GOP policies increase the number of abortions by opposing sex education and access to birth control. Being that unplanned pregnancies are the number one reason why many women have abortions, logically speaking, a party that opposes abortion should be huge fans of anything to help prevent unplanned pregnancies. Sadly, as we all know, Republicans aren’t. They are quite literally a party that opposes abortion… while supporting policies that led to more abortions. But they use their “pro-life” propaganda to whip up voters and get them all in a frenzy. People who are too blinded by the “killing babies” rhetoric to think rationally about much of anything else.

3. Fear: Let’s face it, fear is much easier to sell than hope. But not only is it easier to sell, much like religion, it’s also a great way to get people to act irrationally and against their own interests. If you keep people afraid – which Republicans constantly do – you can get them to believe all sorts of nonsense.

4. Ignorance: Now, by this I don’t mean that every Republican voter is ignorant. What I mean is that most people have no idea how government works. That combined with the fact that the average American’s “political memory” seems to be on par with Dory from Finding Nemo, and what you get are people who blame the wrong people for the issues in our country. Think about this: The Republican party runs on the pretense that government is corrupt and inefficient. Yet, they’re the ones trying to make it more corrupt and inefficient. It’s Democrats who want to overturn Citizens United, get money out of politics and fix the government. Not only that, but Republicans build their platform on the “evils” of government… so why would they ever try to make it work better? As I’ve said before, if you want to see who you can trust in government, ask yourself which party is trying to get money out of politics and which party is trying to get more money in.

5. Guns: The issue of guns ties into a lot of facets of Republican voters. Many Republicans cling to their guns because of the fear-mongering they’ve been sold about “bad guys with guns.” Living in Texas, I constantly laugh at these imbeciles who walk around thinking they’re going to take down a “bad guy” if some sort of active shooter situation arose. Especially when I know many of them would probably piss themselves if someone ever actually pointed a gun at them. Guns also tie in with the asinine belief that our Second Amendment is there to give us the right to overthrow a Constitutionally elected government. Something that’s never made any sense to me. Article III of the Constitution clearly states that treason is not-at-all acceptable. Not only that, but I’ve yet to have anyone rationally explain to me how violently overthrowing a Constitutionally elected government is remotely “Constitutional.” If someone overthrows a president I voted for – isn’t that a violation of my rights?

But Republicans have always masterfully sold this belief that any mention of gun regulations is tantamount to Nazi Germany or some other horrifically oppressive regime. As if asking people to pass extensive background checks, banning access to certain kinds of “military-style” assault rifles and limiting magazine size is the same as a full-on gun confiscation by the government to weaken its people.

We can’t even begin to have a common sense discussion about gun violence because of fools on the right who don’t believe that guns have anything to do with it in the first place.

Read more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/5-reasons-why-poor-and-middle-class-americans-vote-republican/

Last edited:
1. Religion: This one’s easy. Throughout human history, religion has been the go-to mechanism for getting people to act against their own best interests. With religion you can manipulate huge masses of people to do things that aren’t at all rational. Especially when you consider that many Christians are what I call “Church Christians” who seem to measure their devotion to their faith by church attendance as opposed to living their life according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. For the record, those teachings and values are pretty much the opposite of what the Republican party represents. In today’s society, many Republicans view their politics and religion as one in the same. I refer to it as “Republicanity.”

2. Abortion: While some might tie this in with religion, it’s actually different. There are people who vote for the GOP based on nothing more than their opposition to abortion. Make no mistake about it, this isn’t an issue the Republican party really cares about. In fact, GOP policies increase the number of abortions by opposing sex education and access to birth control. Being that unplanned pregnancies are the number one reason why many women have abortions, logically speaking, a party that opposes abortion should be huge fans of anything to help prevent unplanned pregnancies. Sadly, as we all know, Republicans aren’t. They are quite literally a party that opposes abortion… while supporting policies that led to more abortions. But they use their “pro-life” propaganda to whip up voters and get them all in a frenzy. People who are too blinded by the “killing babies” rhetoric to think rationally about much of anything else.

3. Fear: Let’s face it, fear is much easier to sell than hope. But not only is it easier to sell, much like religion, it’s also a great way to get people to act irrationally and against their own interests. If you keep people afraid – which Republicans constantly do – you can get them to believe all sorts of nonsense.

4. Ignorance: Now, by this I don’t mean that every Republican voter is ignorant. What I mean is that most people have no idea how government works. That combined with the fact that the average American’s “political memory” seems to be on par with Dory from Finding Nemo, and what you get are people who blame the wrong people for the issues in our country. Think about this: The Republican party runs on the pretense that government is corrupt and inefficient. Yet, they’re the ones trying to make it more corrupt and inefficient. It’s Democrats who want to overturn Citizens United, get money out of politics and fix the government. Not only that, but Republicans build their platform on the “evils” of government… so why would they ever try to make it work better? As I’ve said before, if you want to see who you can trust in government, ask yourself which party is trying to get money out of politics and which party is trying to get more money in.

5. Guns: The issue of guns ties into a lot of facets of Republican voters. Many Republicans cling to their guns because of the fear-mongering they’ve been sold about “bad guys with guns.” Living in Texas, I constantly laugh at these imbeciles who walk around thinking they’re going to take down a “bad guy” if some sort of active shooter situation arose. Especially when I know many of them would probably piss themselves if someone ever actually pointed a gun at them. Guns also tie in with the asinine belief that our Second Amendment is there to give us the right to overthrow a Constitutionally elected government. Something that’s never made any sense to me. Article III of the Constitution clearly states that treason is not-at-all acceptable. Not only that, but I’ve yet to have anyone rationally explain to me how violently overthrowing a Constitutionally elected government is remotely “Constitutional.” If someone overthrows a president I voted for – isn’t that a violation of my rights? But Republicans have always masterfully sold this belief that any mention of gun regulations is tantamount to Nazi Germany or some other horrifically oppressive regime. As if asking people to pass extensive background checks, banning access to certain kinds of “military-style” assault rifles and limiting magazine size is the same as a full-on gun confiscation by the government to weaken its people. We can’t even begin to have a common sense discussion about gun violence because of fools on the right who don’t believe that guns have anything to do with it in the first place.

Read more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/5-reasons-why-poor-and-middle-class-americans-vote-republican/

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.forwardprogressives.com/
Take a look at this Pro-Leftist website

Democrats can can be proud of what their Party has become...

Reactions: millerbleach
I'm not insulting anyone, what in the post do you disagree with? Or are you going to be lazy again and attack the messenger?
I'm going to attempt to actually answer your question just so someone does:

1. We don't want a Theocracy, but religion does provide a moral code for a society and has contributed to lawmaking for thousands of years.

2. Better prevention and education should be encouraged. I agree this is the best way to bring down the number of abortions.

3. This is true, but let's be honest that both sides use fear.

4. Same as #3...both sides prey on ignorance

5. I disagree with the notion of the author regarding the overthrow of a Constitutionally elected government. That's not what it's there for. It's a failsafe for if the government ever becomes too corrupt and we end up with a tyrant in charge. There are some things that would make sense to try and keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't be getting them. I'm all for expanding background checks to make sure things don't fall through the cracks. I also feel like basic safety education courses would be beneficial for those who have no criminal record, but are just morons who think they're Wyatt Earp when in reality they shouldn't be allowed to touch a firearm.

I'm going to attempt to actually answer your question just so someone does:

1. We don't want a Theocracy, but religion does provide a moral code for a society and has contributed to lawmaking for thousands of years.

2. Better prevention and education should be encouraged. I agree this is the best way to bring down the number of abortions.

3. This is true, but let's be honest that both sides use fear.

4. Same as #3...both sides prey on ignorance

5. I disagree with the notion of the author regarding the overthrow of a Constitutionally elected government. That's not what it's there for. It's a failsafe for if the government ever becomes too corrupt and we end up with a tyrant in charge. There are some things that would make sense to try and keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't be getting them. I'm all for expanding background checks to make sure things don't fall through the cracks. I also feel like basic safety education courses would be beneficial for those who have no criminal record, but are just morons who think they're Wyatt Earp when in reality they shouldn't be allowed to touch a firearm.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a rational, well thought out response. You make some great points.

I'm not insulting anyone, what in the post do you disagree with? Or are you going to be lazy again and attack the messenger?

Goinlong did a good job of explaining the alternate position, but you knew the answer already, didn't you?

The fact that it was 10:30 at night, and you were trolling, doesn't exactly make me want to rebuttal the OP.

1. Religion: Not really I would think less than 50% of those I know who supported Trump regular attend church. Actually most of those that attended church regularly that I know supported the Democrats, not so much Hillary, but they were anti-Trump

2. Abortion: Again it was never really a high priority for those in our area, I never heard anybody I know who supported Trump say that was a reason.

3. Fear: This I can agree... losing your good paying job with decent benefits to Mexico or China is a true fear for many. Also the fear of not wanting to end up trying to support your family while working at Wall-mart or McDonald's because the Dems offered no other options.

4. Ignorance: Yes the ignorance of the Dems leaving the blue collar workers behind yes I can agree.

5. Guns: Yeah I got nothing, totally agree it was all about the guns...

Again the Dems need to look in the mirror and face the facts they lost the election because the lost the vote of the blue color worker no matter the color of the skin. The shift in the party to global and wall street economics really had no place for the unions or the factory workers as the Dems current polices shifted not only the power away from them but in a different direction. Also Just because Trump got elected is not a stamp on the Republican ideology or many of their beliefs, I would never call Trump a true Republican, they now welcome him into the fold but he is a Maverick and nobody knows what he will truly do he has in the past said he identified more with the Dems but I think he hold beliefs on both sides of the fence. Remember him and the Clinton's were one time close friends.

I have said it many times early in the election and Neutron kept doubting me, but the Dems lost the union and working man vote and it showed in this election in states that turned from blue to red. That is not to say as many have said things are not changing, but you have to help the working man and offer more hope than Obama or the Dems polices did these last 8 years. Popular vote still belongs to the Dems, but they have to figure out how to win back those votes they lost these last 8 years to win the electoral vote. Yes manufacturing jobs may never come back,, BUT they 'THE DEMS" never offered those losing jobs any hope of a brighter future in this global economy and it is a great fear for many!! Workers saw their wages stay stagnate or shrink family members go on long term unemployment yet saw and heard Wall Street do so much better as the 1% wealth grew. Also today's workers are fearfull of being unemployable in today's global economy again Obama nor the Dems offered any hope? Obama or Hillary needed to address the lose of these jobs to Mexico directly to offer hope instead they were silent or just stood on the sideline when those plants said they were leaving to Mexico. Obama should have promised some sort of hope for those losing jobs instead the Dems were silent and let Trump do all the talking and bluster and then pouted when he was able to save some jobs and tried to down play it. If they keep that up they will continue to lose more blue collar votes and elections.

"Country folks should stay bought and the working class is too dumb to understand what’s good for them".
Karl Rove/ Wall Street Journal (Opinion )

Karl rove is a republican.
Yes, I know. With that said, I don't always agree with him either. He's no better than rest of us at pointing out in hindsight a completely partisan position. No question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT