ADVERTISEMENT

Welp

oldroundballer

Dec 12, 2001
No one can be surprised by getting beat. The Dodgers are a good team. We all had hopes. And it was right there for the taking. Waino didn't have his best curve ball but proved once again how tough he is by fighting hard hard enough to get them thru 5 in good shape. What an amazing year he had. Unfortunately it seemed everyone reverted back to home run ball. Everyone wanted to be the hero instead of just putting it play. The hits we did get were the result of just putting in play. But Edman was the only one who seemed to have that approach. How many high fastballs did they come out of their spikes chasing? All we needed was a little ole Texas leaguer at the right time. But no one wanted to do it that way. I'm not saying Dodger pitching wasn't good, it was really good. But I felt we got away from the small ball that had been successful during the streak. Curiously the only run we got was a result of small ball. For that matter, both teams were swinging for the fence about every time. They just happen to square a couple up and we didn't. It could has just as easily been the other way.

I was OK with the managing, except the big move at the end. Putting Reyes in the season's do or die spot just didn't make sense. I know he was really good early. But he hasn't been really good for several weeks. Flaherty was out there. So was Miles. I'd have taken either one of them, or anyone really, over Reyes at that particular point. I'm not sure if Reyes will ever recover from how the back half of the season went. I hope he does.

Was it just me or did Yadi seem way less than 100%? I think he for sure was after that awkward swing. But he didn't look comfortable doing anything all night. When was the last time he bounced one to 2B?

Going forward I like most of the roster. The OF is fine. They can all go get it and throw it OK too. They all seemed to make positive strides at the plate. They should only get better. Obviously the corners are done deals as well as Tommy at 2B I think. A better SS would be nice. And another proven starting pitcher. Mad Max are you listening?? A home town discount would be nice. :) And if the DH is a done deal I wouldn't be against a reasonable one more year deal for Albert. I don't think they need wholesale changes. Just a few tweaks and they should be competitive next year. I'm assuming it's all she wrote for Marp. Dude was really good for a few years. It was sad to see him fall so far so fast. And CMart is likely done here too. That kid just never had enough mental toughness to be consistent.

One last thought. When I saw Joe West had the plate I was worried. But I have to say he wasn't bad. Better than usual in fact. Yeah he missed a few borderline calls. But no one is perfect. I thought he got most of them right. And he never inserted himself into the game like he has been known to do. I'm happy that he's retiring and glad he went out on a positive note instead of trying to be the show.

Let's go Blues...

No one can be surprised by getting beat. The Dodgers are a good team. We all had hopes. And it was right there for the taking. Waino didn't have his best curve ball but proved once again how tough he is by fighting hard hard enough to get them thru 5 in good shape. What an amazing year he had. Unfortunately it seemed everyone reverted back to home run ball. Everyone wanted to be the hero instead of just putting it play. The hits we did get were the result of just putting in play. But Edman was the only one who seemed to have that approach. How many high fastballs did they come out of their spikes chasing? All we needed was a little ole Texas leaguer at the right time. But no one wanted to do it that way. I'm not saying Dodger pitching wasn't good, it was really good. But I felt we got away from the small ball that had been successful during the streak. Curiously the only run we got was a result of small ball. For that matter, both teams were swinging for the fence about every time. They just happen to square a couple up and we didn't. It could has just as easily been the other way.

I was OK with the managing, except the big move at the end. Putting Reyes in the season's do or die spot just didn't make sense. I know he was really good early. But he hasn't been really good for several weeks. Flaherty was out there. So was Miles. I'd have taken either one of them, or anyone really, over Reyes at that particular point. I'm not sure if Reyes will ever recover from how the back half of the season went. I hope he does.

Was it just me or did Yadi seem way less than 100%? I think he for sure was after that awkward swing. But he didn't look comfortable doing anything all night. When was the last time he bounced one to 2B?

Going forward I like most of the roster. The OF is fine. They can all go get it and throw it OK too. They all seemed to make positive strides at the plate. They should only get better. Obviously the corners are done deals as well as Tommy at 2B I think. A better SS would be nice. And another proven starting pitcher. Mad Max are you listening?? A home town discount would be nice. :) And if the DH is a done deal I wouldn't be against a reasonable one more year deal for Albert. I don't think they need wholesale changes. Just a few tweaks and they should be competitive next year. I'm assuming it's all she wrote for Marp. Dude was really good for a few years. It was sad to see him fall so far so fast. And CMart is likely done here too. That kid just never had enough mental toughness to be consistent.

One last thought. When I saw Joe West had the plate I was worried. But I have to say he wasn't bad. Better than usual in fact. Yeah he missed a few borderline calls. But no one is perfect. I thought he got most of them right. And he never inserted himself into the game like he has been known to do. I'm happy that he's retiring and glad he went out on a positive note instead of trying to be the show.

Let's go Blues...
I agree on nearly everything you said there. Not so much on West. He gave Max several calls off the plate early outside that he didn't give Waino at all. He also called several 3rd strike swings when he could have ask for help from 1st or 3rd. I think most of them were right but he didn't have to make that call in that kind of game when the guys down the line have a better look at it. One of them he couldn't possibly see because the catcher jumped up right in his line of sight. The Birds didn't finish it off so good but they sure made it seem like they can be VERY good next year. Marp was done in by his stubbornness about taking the ball the other way against shift. Carlson showed exactly how you do that last night. That kid is gonna be a big time hitter fro long time if he stays healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT