ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Break Down the Candidates

Veerman_12

Aug 30, 2019
In lieu of Mizzou moving on from Barry Odom, who are the possible candidates.

Some people will point to the bowl ban and scholarship reduction, but a coach with any amount of foresight should realize this is an opportunity to coach SEC football as the only D1 school in a state with two large talent rich (well at least St. Louis is) metropolitan areas to recruit from. Find the right guy and this could be a great job.

Heavy Hitters
1. Lane Kiffin - FAU HC
2. Mike Leach - Washington St. HC
3. Matt Campbell - Iowa St. HC
4. Jeff Brohm - Purdue HC
5. Dino Babers - Syracuse HC
6. Dave Clawson - Wake Forest HC
7. PJ Fleck - Minnesota HC

Group of 5 Coaches on the Come Up
1. Eli Drinkwitz - Appalachian St. HC
2. Troy Calhoun - Air Force HC
3. Luke Fickell - Cincinnati HC
4. Willie Fritz - Tulane HC
5. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC
6. Blake Anderson - Arkansas St. HC
7. Billy Napier - Louisiana HC
8. Seth Littrell - North Texas HC
9. Sonny Dykes - SMU HC
10. Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina HC

Intriguing Coordinators w/HC Potential
1. Kevin Wilson - Ohio State OC
2. Alex Grinch - Oklahoma DC
3. Dave Aranda - LSU DC
4. Joe Brady - LSU Passing Coordinator
5. Graham Harrell - USC OC

NFL Guys/Miscellaneous/Questionable
1. Matt Eberflus - Colts DC
2. Art Briles -
3. Jeff Monken - Army HC
4. Todd Graham - coaching mercenary
5. Ken Niumatalolo - Navy HC
6. Bret Bielema - NE Patriots DL Coach
7. Brian Bohanon - Kennesaw St. HC
8. Bo Pelini - Youngstown St. HC

Reactions: STL_Dan

Some people will point to the bowl ban and scholarship reduction, but a coach with any amount of foresight should realize this is an opportunity to coach SEC football as the only D1 school in a state with two large talent rich (well at least St. Louis is) metropolitan areas to recruit from. Find the right guy and this could be a great job.

Heavy Hitters
1. Lane Kiffin - FAU HC

9. Sonny Dykes - SMU HC

3. Dave Aranda - LSU DC

2. Art Briles -
3. Jeff Monken - Army HC

Lol why in the hell is Art Briles on any list

I could see Mike Leach as being a great hire and think he would fit in well, but don’t see that even being remotely possible.

I don’t see him being much of a defensive mind would be my only reservation, but I don’t know enough about him to say that for sure

Reactions: Arcola
Lol why in the hell is Art Briles on any list

1. Should people be forgiven or if they ever screw up should they be crucified and left for dead? Everyone is more than the worst thing they ever did.

2. The man can recruit and the man can coach, he needs a job and we have an opening.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
1. Should people be forgiven or if they ever screw up should they be crucified and left for dead? Everyone is more than the worst thing they ever did.

2. The man can recruit and the man can coach, he needs a job and we have an opening.

when the worst thing you ever did is cover up RAPE then yes you should not be forgiven and left for dead. He will probably never coach again.

Reactions: HomeyR and G50
when the worst thing you ever did is cover up RAPE then yes you should not be forgiven and left for dead. He will probably never coach again.

Did he cover it up? Thought it was just complete lack of control or something like that?

In any case, you're right it's HIGHLY unlikely he's going to be the guy. Care to comment on any of the ones who might actually get the job?

After listening to Sherk's press conference, I would say they are looking for someone with a pretty dynamic pass offense. He stressed the necessity of putting buttts in the seats. So tell me they are looking for a winner who can entertain as well.They are down $6 mil/yr. every year since Odom took over.

They claim to be the only self sufficient program around and supposedly their goal is to turn over $20 mil/year to the administration. He also stated they hope to have a replacement within 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and they already have interests. Claimed they made the decision within the last 48 hrs. That means it has been discussed for quite some time before and I would say it has been in the search firms hands on a prelim basis for some time.

After listening to Sherk's press conference, I would say they are looking for someone with a pretty dynamic pass offense. He stressed the necessity of putting buttts in the seats. So tell me they are looking for a winner who can entertain as well.They are down $6 mil/yr. every year since Odom took over.

They claim to be the only self sufficient program around and supposedly their goal is to turn over $20 mil/year to the administration. He also stated they hope to have a replacement within 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and they already have interests. Claimed they made the decision within the last 48 hrs. That means it has been discussed for quite some time before and I would say it has been in the search firms hands on a prelim basis for some time.

So Mike Leach?

Reactions: Arcola
I like Leach but his offense just puts too much pressure on the defense, and that would be especially so in the SEC, IMO.

I like Leach but his offense just puts too much pressure on the defense, and that would be especially so in the SEC, IMO.

You realize there's not been a lot of defense played in the SEC this year right? Bama has been in more 49-42 games than I've ever seen a Saban coached team in.

LSU's Passing Game Coordinator is on that list somewhere.

You realize there's not been a lot of defense played in the SEC this year right? Bama has been in more 49-42 games than I've ever seen a Saban coached team in.

LSU's Passing Game Coordinator is on that list somewhere.
Well, that's kind of my point. Defenses have enough pressure without playing behind an offense that uses up very little clock time.

Give me this guy

Done more with less, which you have to do at Mizzou. Great pedigree as well.

Reactions: Veerman_12
Gotta say, the more I read about Billy Napier, the more I like him. SEC background, coached under Saban and Dabo.

Mizzou needs to jump on him.

Reactions: STL_Dan
Dear lord...CoMo might implode if they hire one of those guys. Not sure it was wise to fire Odom if you're going with one of those guys. And I thought Odom was below average at best.
Willie fritz wouldn't be a bad hire if he could keep the roster intact and bring in a couple transfers especially at qb i could see it working out. I don't understand why josh heupel's name hasn't been thrown around at all though

You can't be serious....he covered up rape...Art is too rapey.

Willie fritz wouldn't be a bad hire if he could keep the roster intact and bring in a couple transfers especially at qb i could see it working out. I don't understand why josh heupel's name hasn't been thrown around at all though

If Josh Heupel leaves UCF this offseason, his buyout is $10 million. Perhaps that could be negotiated down but that makes it very unlikely. Also, he doesn't really like doing the head coach type stuff. He's a little odd and I don't know how he would be as the face of an SEC program.

Reactions: Mofan79
If Josh Heupel leaves UCF this offseason, his buyout is $10 million. Perhaps that could be negotiated down but that makes it very unlikely. Also, he doesn't really like doing the head coach type stuff. He's a little odd and I don't know how he would be as the face of an SEC program.
thanks for the info I had no idea

Alleged top 3
Will Healy
Jim McCalwain
Harsin from Boisie

Next 4
Fritz
Monkon
Sarkisian
Anderson (Ark St)

Last edited:

Heavy Hitters
1. Lane Kiffin - FAU HC

9. Sonny Dykes - SMU HC

3. Dave Aranda - LSU DC

2. Art Briles -
3. Jeff Monken - Army HC

Missouri native, Greg Williams

giphy.gif

Reactions: Veerman_12
Alleged top 3
Will Healy
Jim McCalwain
Harsin from Boisie

Next 4
Fritz
Monkon
Sarkisian
Anderson (Ark St)
Ouch. Just ouch. Evidently Sterk didn't have a hire made when he fired BO. That's a bit surprising. Assuming the thought is Norvell to FSU...Joey Freshwater/Lane Train to Arky...Healy to Ole Miss or MU...McElwain to the other...Harsin just working a raise? Dude...I don't get it. If you're Sterk, this hire is going to get you fired by the end of this basketball season. He's going to strikeout, and his basketball hire is going to win about 12 games in year three. Yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT