ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Weekend Randomness

Rufus R. Jones

Nov 10, 2009
Had fun watching games this weekend, as always. The usual stalwarts (WC, Lamar) showed why they're always in the mix. I must admit, I do get a kick out of seeing new teams in the title games. Usually seems more fun for their players and fans both. I thought the games were officiated particularly well overall. Not a fan of Faurot Field as a spectator. Hopefully Plaster Field gets the games back one of these years. Still miss MSHSAA printing the record books like they used to. They apparently don't give a rat's ass about the history of the games. Also noticed they no longer update stats on their website during games, unless I just couldn't find it. It's pretty obvious where their prioritie$ are. That is one top heavy organization. Hopefully the member schools will get that corrected soon.
Congratulations to all participants this weekend. An appearance in a title game- and for sure a championship- is not an easy thing, and should be relished and appreciated, whether it's the first time or the 20th. The constantly maligned playoff system never fails to do what it was designed to do- effectively determine a state champion. I would estimate that I've seen 100-125 state title games, played in one, and have coached in a few. And I have yet to see a team win a title that did not deserve it.
Those who constantly moan and complain about the playoff system- quit making excuses. The ones who constantly moan and complain about private schools- quit making excuses. The best teams win. And the teams that win consistently don't complain and make excuses. They work their asses off, do things the right way, have great expectations, and continue getting it done.
Just my $0.02. Take it or leave it.
Time to watch some basketball.

Last edited:
Had fun watching games this weekend, as always. The usual stalwarts (WC, Lamar) showed why they're always in the mix. I must admit, I do get a kick out of seeing new teams in the title games. Usually seems more fun for their players and fans both. I thought the games were officiated particularly well overall. Not a fan of Faurot Field as a spectator. Hopefully Plaster Field gets the games back one of these years. Still miss MSHSAA printing the record books like they used to. They apparently don't give a rat's ass about the history of the games. Also noticed they no longer update stats on their website during games, unless I just couldn't find it. It's pretty obvious where their prioritie$ are. That is one top heavy organization. Hopefully the member schools will get that corrected soon.
Congratulations to all participants this weekend. An appearance in a title game- and for sure a championship- is not an easy thing, and should be relished and appreciated, whether it's the first time or the 20th. The constantly maligned playoff system never fails to do what it was designed to do- effectively determine a state champion. I would estimate that I've seen 100-125 state title games, played in one, and have coached in a few. And I have yet to see a team win a title that did not deserve it.
Those who constantly moan and complain about the playoff system- quit making excuses. The ones who constantly moan and complain about private schools- quit making excuses. The best teams win. And the teams that win consistently don't complain and make excuses. They work their asses off, do things the right way, have great expectations, and continue getting it done.
Yep funny how we never hear complaints about private schools from HCs especially the top ones!

Hey don’t downplay your opinion apparently $0.02 is a big deal…….⛽️😏

Talking about printing of records/programs and MSHSAAs giving a rats ass. Did anyone notice the St Mary’s team photo in the program?

Really think it cool when you have "One offs" winners exepecilly in the small schools. Where this may be their only title in 20-30 years. So special to those communities.

Talking about printing of records/programs and MSHSAAs giving a rats ass. Did anyone notice the St Mary’s team photo in the program?
Yes. I just assumed that teams have to pay to get their picture in the game program now and St. Mary's didn't get their money paid by press time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT