ADVERTISEMENT

A Young Black Missourian's Perspective

kaskaskiakid

Nov 14, 2019
From the Facebook of Levi Terrell, former RB at SEMO and owner of Terrell Consultants LLC;

So I usually don't speak on political or social issues, and it's because I don't like to "ruffle feathers" but I realize that because of where I grew up and the lack of diversity in that area, I am the only person of color that many of my childhood friends truly know. So my opinion on these issues may matter to some people.

So in light of everything that's going on I wanted to tell a little of my story. Maybe seeing how I was treated in the same community you grew up in will help give some perspective.

My name is Levi Terrell. I am biracial, but all people see is "Black". I grew up with my white mother in DeSoto MO.

Poulation: 6,333
92% White
2.5% Black

I went to Grandview High School in "Ware" MO. From 1st Grade to 10th grade I was the only person of color in my school. Let me clarify, not just the only black person, but the only non-white person... If I wouldn't have transferred in 11th grade, I would have been the first person of color to come up through that school system and graduate since the schools inception.

I remember the first day of first grade my mom was walking me into the building and a child was trying to get my attention from a nearby school bus window. "Hey Black Kid!" He yelled... As a 7 year old I had never had someone summon me using my skin color. This was my first interaction with another student at this school, It would not be the last time I was called "black kid" or worse.

I remember being around 8 or 9 years old when I first noticed a store employee following me around the store while I shopped. It was a dollar general and I had taken my allowance to buy my family Christmas gifts. My mother was in a different store in the plaza and planned to pick me up when she was done. After following me for 10 minutes she came up to me and asked if I had any money.

"Yes ma'am." I replied... Not knowing where this was going. She then said I needed to get what I wanted and leave the store. I didn't buy anything, I just went and sat on the curb until my mom came. I remember being confused. Why couldn't I be in the store? This would not be the last time I was followed in a store.

I remember in middle school, nervously asking a girl I liked to go with me to the school dance, only to be turned down because her parents would not let her go with a black kid. I was embarrassed...This would not be the last time a girl turned me down because her parents didn't approve of my melanin.

Once I got to high school I started playing sports. By this time most the kids in the school knew me. I had multiple people mention to me that I was "one of the good ones" referring to black people. But as I started interacting with kids from other schools through sports I started receiving more hate. "Get off our field ******"... "You're not welcome here boy"... I chalked it up as ignorance. Never retaliated. Confrontation made be uncomfortable, it still does.

Like most I started driving at 16. Unlike most I was pulled over around 20 times in Jefferson County between the age of 16 and 18. I only ever actually received two speeding tickets. The rest, as I look back now, were just harassment. On multiple occasions I would be asked to get out of my car and sit in the police car while the officer ran my information. Guess he expected me to run? Very rarely did only one cop question me. At least one, if not two cruisers would show up within a few minutes of being pulled over. I thought it was standard procedure, again as I look back now I know it was not.

I remember being in the back seat of my (white) friends car before and getting pulled over with them. The cop directed most his probing questions to me in the back seat. Except to ask my two friends in the front how they knew me... I remember sitting on the curb another time while 4 cops searched my vehicle because they suspected I had vandalized some school busses in the area (I hadn't). Oh and another time (again while sitting in a cop car while the officer ran my information) I saw the cops dimeaner completely change when he realized I was the Levi Terrell he had read about in the newspaper for my football accomplishments. Guess that was enough for him to trust me.

I learned to always be respectful with my words, tone and body language. ESPECIALLY around white people of authority. Because I knew everyone who was first meeting me in that community would have a pre-conceived notion about me. I make sure to take down my hood in low light situations, remove my hands from my pockets, even roll up my sleeves because I sometimes think that showing more skin will make me look more human. I have to show them I am "one of the good ones" right?

As an adult I go back to visit my home town and I still get looks. I still feel the eyes, especially when my mom and I are out together.

So if you are watching everything that is going on in Minneapolis or the other states currently protesting. Understand that this isn't just about George Floyd.

Although a man being choked to death in the street in broad daylight BY A MAN WHO HAS SWORN TO PROTECT HIM is big enough a deal to protest about.

Before you condemn them as "thugs" or "ghetto" know that they have been watched, followed, called names, counted out, and harassed their entire life. They have been told to "sit back and shut up" when they followed every peaceful measure in the book just hoping someone would hear their cry and help them. They have been shown that their life is less valuable then other's.

They have been pushed to a point where they can't even quarantine safely! Because cops are COMING INTO THEIR HOMES AND SHOOTING THEM! (Tatiana Jefferson, Aiyana Jones, Botham Jean, Breonna Taylor).

America is a beautiful place to live but it has MAJOR social issues that come from outdated and unfair systems. Even with my multiple prejudice interactions with cops I am mature enough to know that all cops are not bad. This is bigger then blaming cops. The entire judicial/government system needs to be reexamined and restructured.

For those who have reached out, acknowledging your privilege and asking how to use your voice more effectively THANK YOU!

For those wanting to better educate yourselves in what it's like to be black in America I have listed a few documentaries below. But also if you know a person of color just ask them. Ask them what types of experiences they have had in their lives. We all have a story and the more you get to know our story the more you will understand our plight.

"13th" (Netflix)
"When They See Us" (Netflix)
"I Am Not Your Negro" (Amazon Prime Video)
"Teach Us All" (Netflix)

And just in case anyone wants to pull the religious card please remember that Jesus was ALWAYS on the side of the oppressed and the hurting.

“Away with your noisy hymns of praise! I will not listen to the music of your harps. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living.”⁣
‭‭Amos‬ ‭5:23-24‬ ‭NLT‬‬⁣

#icantbreathe #georgefloyd

Last edited:
Honest question...

Is ANYONE on here defending the police or in any way defending these practices?

If not, is there a particular point in this? Are we supposed to be overwhelmed with white guilt? Applaud you for your virtue signaling?

No one is ok with the people who killed Mr. Floyd, NO ONE is defending them. I hope they bury that cop under the jail and so does everyone else on this board.

I love Levi, known him a long time. That was extremely well said. Thank you for sharing, but let's stop with the virtue signaling. We get it, you want everyone to EXTRA know you're not racist.

There will be a whole lot of crickets on this one. Thanks for sharing. They still won’t get it.

I don't think anyone argues that Black Males are profiled more than any other group. That is a Fact. Part of the reason is because in 75 of the largest Counties where most Blacks reside...They commit 50% of all violent crimes even though they are 15% of the population. I think that this fact taints and skews the views of the Police force. This is clearly complicated issue that might never be solved if We as a country don't fix the Social economic disparities in those counties.

We can go about it one of two way.... Keep Giving handouts and more Handouts, and making them feel like victims and wards of the state that can't succeed without a Nanny state taking care of them.

Or we can actually believe that the Black Race is intellectually equal(Rightfully So) to all other races and completely capable of fixing their issues, getting a education, working hard and be productive citizens. That White America's continued meddling and pandering has done more harm than good.

I suspect we will continue on the First course and the outcome will be the same as it has since the 60's.

There will be a whole lot of crickets on this one. Thanks for sharing. They still won’t get it.
From what Veer said, he's overcome the burdens on his life experiences and moved forward!

He's not naive to think that some people judge him by his skin color before they really get to know him. He's aware, that some cops can be dangerous. What he's doing is working for him.

This is all good!

But Hey stupid OP and Duck. I get it already.

Why comment on things we already know to be true?

I have lived a near full life, I don't need to read stolen thoughts posted by a man that copied and pasted a child's heartfelt story.

I don't need education on this. I taught for 36 years. I've been the minority in my school district. You guys are idiots. I've listened and saved more at risk kids of all races than I want to remember. I've forgot more than you know on how to treat human beings.

I have no reason not to believe everything this child claims is how he has experienced life.

As for the Netflix selection, I would watch it with a skeptical eye in the same way all movies and shows have dramatic messages.

I'm sure black people would find your joke hilarious.
They're are no jokes that are hilarious to the left. Thats why comedians don't go to college campuses and the mainstream night shows are hideous. Some comedians still are brilliant enough to avoid this. I watch them.

You, along with others, being a ideologically possessed person, that immediately see racism in everything you see and read because it's crammed down our throats in everything we see and read.

I'm not a Democrat anymore, I'm anti left. I'm anti What the Democrats are teaching. We.. not wholly, but in part, are seeing the logical conclusion of this on TV. Rioters that want among other things...revenge. It's a lie. The Democrat party is cheering right now by their silence.

This is not to say, DJT is innocent or the GOP can do any better. They can't. But you My internet pen pal and fellow countryman are not the answer.

BTW Larry Elder is a conservative. He's on Twitter. His quips are funny.

My GF is disgusted by the riots and said it has nothing to do with G.Floyd's death just a excuse to steal and burn things down. Her Joke was I bet no Red Wings stores got Looted.... And she has had some bigoted instances in her life. Always questioned when pulled over with her white friends by the Police,same for her brother...although he has a record and is a felon so in away his questioning is warranted.

One Experience in a Ark. Restaurant was pretty nerve wracking as well she told me about Stares, glares and mumbled threats. But as a whole she says she has been mostly excepted and that if you projected yourself in a proper manner are not defensive and don't look like a Stereotype then things are fine. There are other instances as well so It does happen.

She believes if you look for bigotry and racism and have a chip on your shoulder then you will find it. She also said some of the most racist people she has ever met are Black People with their unabashed hate for other races, Asians and Whites mostly.

We both believe to get past this the black Culture has to change, that glorifying the lifestyle that leads to crime and social economic depression is a lot of the problem.

The Majority of the White population wants nothing more than to have racial equality and harmony we both agree on that. But the Lefts narrative is that most of the White Population is Alt right and racist. That has Divided the country and made everyone pick a side.....Sad.

He said the kid has overcome his burden and moved on? Really? That’s the most idiotic thing I have heard in my life other than everything Miller and the ignored C’s posts on a daily basis. Somehow cops terrorizing this kid and millions of others is the fault of Hillary and Nancy. And I am sure Kaskaskiakid is a bad guy for even posting this kids heartfelt feelings. They know more than the people actually experiencing the nightmare. Lunacy.

If I had been pulled over and harassed by cops over and over my rage would have included more that just looting and burning.
And it’s sure as hell not “a few” bad cops. They are all over the country.

You Truly are the problem...and a race baiter. While we all can agree that the Cops do profile Black men at a higher rate than others....some of that is justified by the higher rate of crime that is committed by this demographic and some of it is not. Using the word Terrorized and millions of others is a lie and beyond pale. Maybe you should look into the statistics before you go into a emotional rant.

Reactions: MIZZOU71
A kid being pulled over 20 times in his first two years of driving is being terrorized. Your inability to empathize tells me a lot. The close mindedness is startling. Saying “I truly am the problem” shows a shocking level of cluelessness.

No he was being profiled and being harassed to a degree based on him fitting a demographic, but he was not dragged out and beaten and he Wasn't Jailed without cause? If any of that had happened he would of been terrorized. Your definition of terrorizing is so off based and being used in emotional manner it should be unbecoming of any professional.

Yes you are a problem because you are using a broad brush of hate and anger to justify your political view point irregardless of facts and data.

I clearly empathize with his plight and believe his harassment was and is wrong and needs to be addressed, but he was not terrorized. Clearly many Black males have been terrorized by some racist cops in the past and present. But what Happened to this kid did not reach that level.

you wrong.

you wrong.....

I get it you can't really respond because you got nothing that can refute what I pointed out.

He was being Harassed no doubt about that. And it clearly was Harassment based on him fitting the profile of a young Black Male. I find that disgusting to a degree but also understandable to a degree as well, when cops face a onslaught of Crimes being committed by one demographic.

But to suggest that he was being terrorized is not the truth, the police was not driving by his house, following him a regular bases.

Other groups are also harassed as well, motorcycle gangs,Trailer/Trash/Meth heads, South of The Border gang Groups. Many of them White and Hispanic. Why Because their demographic is a high profile crime demo.

Reactions: Chris Gardner
ter·ror·ize
/ˈterəˌrīz/
Learn to pronounce

verb
past tense: terrorized; past participle: terrorized
  1. create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in (someone); fill with terror.
    "he used his private army to terrorize the population"

ter·ror·ize
/ˈterəˌrīz/
Learn to pronounce

verb
past tense: terrorized; past participle: terrorized
  1. create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in (someone); fill with terror.
    "he used his private army to terrorize the population"

DmUPlNHUwAATJSe.jpg

I have been around a while bro. I worked in downtown STL for years. I saw a lot. I have lived in small town Mo in towns with only a few black families. I have seen and heard a lot. My sons roommates were both black men and spent a lot of time in my home. A few of these individuals have shared experiences where they have hyperventilated when a cop pulled up behind them based on past experience and things that happened to their families. They have been terrorized.

I have ridden my bike in a local state park a couple of hundred days during the past 7 years. In that time I have seen the Ranger pull over only two people. Both black.

I could go on and on with stories. I will take their word for what they experienced and how they felt over your opinion with your Trump level empathy. That’s all.

If fully stated that some Black men are terrorized by the Police...I was talking about that specific incidence put forth by this young individual.

I am not or have not tried to mitigate other experiences you have stated or witnessed.

Again you seem to come from a rather emotional and angry point of view. Your opinion warped to a degree by the worst of the worst situations.

But I want to actually solve the Problem. Again Harassment and some incidence of terrorizing happen,we must reduce them even further.

Once again I will point out that a lot of that is based on the Criminal element in that Demographic. The Police becoming jaded and hard up do to their continued dealings with that demo.

You seem to just want to rant about the issues and be angry as opposed to seeing the whole issue from a geometric viewpoint. Then actually coming up with real world solutions.

Reactions: MIZZOU71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT