ADVERTISEMENT

My phone knows everything that's said in my house

3Rfan

Aug 23, 2002
I got a text on MY phone today from a lady asking if I could trim her Crepe Myrtles when the weather clears up and I have time. I text her back that I would and told why wife about that. A few minutes ago a thing popped up on HER phone about 7 plants/bushes that should be trimmed in January or February. This is not the first time this has happened that something we talked about around the house, not something either of us looked up on our phone or the computer, and something about that subject appeared on our phone. I don't know how that happens but's it's a little scary to think your phone hears anything you say when it's just setting somewhere in the house with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Vallegrad2
I got a text on MY phone today from a lady asking if I could trim her Crepe Myrtles when the weather clears up and I have time. I text her back that I would and told why wife about that. A few minutes ago a thing popped up on HER phone about 7 plants/bushes that should be trimmed in January or February. This is not the first time this has happened that something we talked about around the house, not something either of us looked up on our phone or the computer, and something about that subject appeared on our phone. I don't know how that happens but's it's a little scary to think your phone hears anything you say when it's just setting somewhere in the house with you.
I know it happens on the internet all the time.

I Look at something on Amazon and boom every place I go has ads:)

I know it happens on the internet all the time.

I Look at something on Amazon and boom every place I go has ads:)
I know how that happens, I don't know how they know what we're just talking to each other about in my house and send something about it on our phone. Scary stuff to me.

Reactions: Vallegrad2
I have noticed the same thing,

almost time to go back to a plain telephone.

Or do like i do:

Turn it off.
I ain't gonna turn it off in the middle of the day and I don't even turn it off at night but your phone should not be able to know what you say when it's setting around the house not being used.

You can shut off the phone from listening to you. Depending on which type you have shut off Siri, Google Assistant, or Bixby.
If it is specific to Amazon, or other businesses you can go to those specific apps and change your privacy settings to stop it from happening.

You can shut off the phone from listening to you. Depending on which type you have shut off Siri, Google Assistant, or Bixby.
If it is specific to Amazon, or other businesses you can go to those specific apps and change your privacy settings to stop it from happening.
It should NOT be able to hear a conversation in my house with neither of us is actually on our phone. How is that even possible, or legal?

It should NOT be able to hear a conversation in my house with neither of us is actually on our phone. How is that even possible, or legal?
Welcome to America.

I just turn mine off. Half the time it's not even in the house.

It has to be able to if it is going to be able to use the possible functions of it.
It has to be able to hear you to be able to do the things you tell it to.
For example, I have my phone turn my lights on when I get home, so it isn't dark when I walk in the house, etc. It's what you give up for the convenience of other things.

It has to be able to if it is going to be able to use the possible functions of it.
It has to be able to hear you to be able to do the things you tell it to.
For example, I have my phone turn my lights on when I get home, so it isn't dark when I walk in the house, etc. It's what you give up for the convenience of other things.
I'm talking about it hearing me talking to my wife in my house with the phones laying on the countertop. I know you can have them do lots of things if you tell it to but not when it's just laying there. You surely have to push something on your phone and speak into it to get it to do those things.
I do not turn mine off, I have older brothers and a sister, plus a surviving sister in law who lives alone, that are all older than me except the little sister, and some are not in good health and might need to call me at any time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT