ADVERTISEMENT

Uplifting story of the day...season.

fungoking

May 29, 2001
The road back: Joplin pitcher returns to mound after losing leg

Zach Hall and his father, Rod, have traveled more roads together than they can count. Yet nothing could have prepared either of them for the road life guided them down eight months ago.

Pointing the car in the direction of Zach's next travel baseball game, the duo would always begin each of their excursions by bumping fists and reciting the phrase "for love of the game." They say they coined the line long before Kevin Costner made it famous when he took on the role of fictional Detroit Tigers pitcher Billy Chapel and scored a box office hit.

To the Halls, the phrase stood as a reminder why they drove the miles. Baseball was more than a game to them. It was a way of life. Zach Hall dreamed of one day having the type of big league career Billy Chapel had. A third-generation baseball lifer, Zach vowed from an early age that nothing would keep him away from the game he loves.

"It's what I eat, it's what I breathe. It's everything I know, basically," Hall said.

The accident

On July 4, 2014, Zach Hall's life, and baseball career, took a major detour.

While boating with friends on Grand Lake O' the Cherokees in Grove, Oklahoma, Hall was struck by a boater who had failed to see him in the water. The boat's prop struck him, severing his right leg just below the knee. He was life-flighted to Freeman Hospital in Joplin before the family made a quick decision to have him flown again to Children's Mercy in Kansas City.

Still conscious, Hall joined hands with his father before the second flight departed. There was no fist bump this time, no "for love of the game." Zach simply asked his father if he'd ever be able to play baseball again.

"Our comment was you can do anything you set your mind to it. Right now, let's worry about getting to Kansas City," Rod Hall recalled.

Zach underwent five major surgeries and a host of smaller procedures to save further amputation. A retired Army medic happened to be at the lake that day and raced to Hall's aid, applying a tourniquet that helped save not only the rest of the leg, but possibly even his life.

Road to recovery

After weathering the critical moments, Hall, who moved to Rogers, Arkansas, as a sophomore and lived there at the time of the accident, set a game plan for recovery. He received a prosthetic attachment in September. But even now, it remains a process.

"The first three months were probably the worst," Hall said. "By far, it's nothing easy. I'm still going through the struggles and definitely can say that I wish it wouldn't have happened.

"Even now, it's still a struggle to get out of bed, having to put something on to basically get out of bed, to go shower, to even go to the restroom. When I dream, I still dream about having two legs. When I wake up sometimes it surprises me. I look in the mirror and think man, what has happened?

"But with the support I had of my teammates and my coaches and my dad and my mom (Carolyn) and my friends ... I couldn't let anyone down and I couldn't keep letting myself down. I pretty much just grabbed it by the horns and took the fight on."

Sensing the importance of surrounding Zach with the friends and family he grew up with, Zach's family agreed a move back to Joplin would be best. After re-enrolling at JHS, the incoming junior almost immediately re-connected with Joplin coach Kirk Harryman, asking to be part of the baseball program. Hall previously saw action in two varsity games on the mound as a freshman with the Eagles. Harryman immediately agreed.

"We were thrilled to have Zach in the program as a freshman and were disappointed when he moved to Arkansas," Harryman said. "When he was enrolling again and we talked to him about being a part of it, we didn't know what he was going to be able to do. It was only a month, month and a half after the accident and I don't think he even knew for sure.

"We just knew he loves the game, and it's great to have him around. We were thrilled to have him back."

The return

On a beautiful sunny and 70-degree day, Hall stands atop the bullpen mound at Joplin High School's sparkling new baseball stadium. The rugged-looking baseball in his left hand serves as his key to an escape from the daily grind. He hurls it toward the catcher squatted 60-feet away and the ball darts into the strike zone, sinking heavily just as it reaches the plate.

"Was that the curveball," Harryman asks.

"Changeup," Hall replies.

"Everything he throws moves," Harryman says with a smile as he turns away. "It's ridiculous."

The next pitch, a fastball with plenty of giddyup, tails and catches the corner of the plate. His curveball starts in the left-hand batter's box and finds the opposite corner of the dish.

"Watching him throw and getting used to his leg, I think he's got a chance to get high school hitters out and be successful," Harryman said. "It just goes to show that a lot of times people can sit around feeling sorry for themselves and what happened. He's not like that. He's going to battle through it. We're happy to have him in the program."

When the bullpen ends, Hall dismounts the mound with a smile, looking like a young man who'd just crested the summit of an enormous mountain.

And in some ways, he has. Upon receiving his prosthetic, Hall was told by doctors it would be nine months to a year before a full cadence walk would feel normal. Three months and a day later, he and Ron weren't just walking, they jogged.

With the help of numerous doctors, therapists and the support he's received from friends and family, Hall now has the answer to the question he asked his father before departing on that helicopter. He's expected to see action on the mound today in Joplin's jamboree at Carthage. On Saturday, he'll likely pitch in some capacity in the season opener at Joplin High School.

Most importantly, he's going to play baseball again.

"Go on the path that's been given to you," Hall said. "This is the path that's been given to me and it's definitely the one I'm trying to pursue. I'm here to play for the love of the game, help my team out and hopefully better my future.

"It's been a daily grind to get back to baseball. And with all of the support I have from my team, my family, my brothers, all of my friends who are pushing for me to get back. It's looking great as of now. I'm hoping for the best. All of the support is definitely helping out."

Ron Hall said his son is definitely making the most of his opportunities.

"He has taught me a lot," he said, fighting back emotions. "I told him the other day that I've never really had a hero figure in my life.

"Now I do. It turns out that hero is my own son."

Joplin pitcher returns to mound after losing leg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT