ADVERTISEMENT

Smithville at Kearney part deux for all the marbles

Welcome to MoSports! Where all threads devolve into utter nonsense!
trainwreck GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BoosterBosko
No Raytown won in 2019. Hosted and lost to Staley in the C5 Quarterfinals.
Jays were hanging in there had a shot until the very, very good QB Campbell got hurt. Staley D was stout all that season lost an outstanding physical war vs. Jackson in the next round at home. Witnessed that classic in person, too.

Jays were hanging in there had a shot until the very, very good QB Campbell got hurt. Staley D was stout all that season lost an outstanding physical war vs. Jackson in the next round at home. Witnessed that classic in person, too.
Saw Jackson in person a couple years ago. Most physical dominating team...Platte County got trucked.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Saw Jackson in person a couple years ago. Most physical dominating team...Platte County got trucked.
Yeah Jackson had what Smithville does now: the three year Bell curve Championship window. Theirs was 2019-21. TONIGHT is Smithville's first huge test in their third (back side) year.

Why yes, my good man. The Democrats proclaimed this is a "vote to save democracy." Well, I say this is a vote to save our way of life. The economic destruction of Biden and his cadre of leftists in two years has been remarkable. He's done more damage than any walking mummy I ever saw portrayed in a cheap "B" thriller on Saturday morning. The red wave that will hit in tonight's results will no doubt be a harsh rebuke of this nonsense.
I can tell ya where there WASNT a red wave. In the GREAT state of Pennsylvania!! Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, I dont care who are you. Dr. Quack Oz should NOT be in office. Nuff said!

We were at that game Hat... True that the Raytown QB was knocked out of the game just before halftime but even so, Raytown was never in it. Staley stomped a mudhole on them and did so with their backup QB. Raytown appeared to be over amped up and didn't execute.

We were at that game Hat... True that the Raytown QB was knocked out of the game just before halftime but even so, Raytown was never in it. Staley stomped a mudhole on them and did so with their backup QB. Raytown appeared to be over amped up and didn't execute.
Not enough on the lines, either, agree! Hope you can do the CBC at Liberty North game that is likely coming next Saturday! If you attend one game all year THERE IT IS.

Like I suspect everyone else in these parts been really, really waiting for this one to come back around and here it is! THE rematch in the KC metro this week if not all of MO. Here are the distant, from the stands observations about this ultimate District title Friday night tilt:

FACTORS FAVORING SMITHVILLE:

1) This is what I call the "back side of the bell curve" year i.e. the final one before youth and inexperience set the program back for a year or two (all relative they will still be competitive). All the key contributors both sides of the ball are Seniors so there is the urgency factor in play here.
2) The defense. Yeah they don't have any real huge superstars this year (could make an argument for the Boyd kid though) but this, from watching replays and live games the past month, unit is really rounded into shape and will be very difficult to score on.
3) Experience. All these players were in Columbia last year and the huge key is the returning field general Hedgecorth. Expect the Warriors to play very disciplined and mature (HC Ambroson has alluded to this factor more than once in Courier post game wraps this fall).

FACTORS FAVORING KEARNEY:

1) Coaching. This is completely off the charts this year. Yours truly was aiming for a 8-3 type season where the KDogs were more competitive with Fort and Smithville who I knew brought plenty back from very deep runs last year. My year one read is this is a very no-nonsense focused staff and the HC is as analytical as any in the Metro area. NO way to know what to expect both sides of the ball but will be tons of fun to find out.
2) Athleticism. This team is beyond loaded with top notch ones as others have pointed out here all year plus they have their fair share of Senior talent and #14 is the best player on the field and who knows where/when he will pop up (again back to coaching). HUGE key will be overall D Back play. This has been an early game issue at times. One other factor to watch is whether Kearney goes on one of those "spurts" they have shown in recent games and can Smithville stop that momentum if it happens.
3) Home Field Advantage. Cold as it will be expect a major crowd which will be augmented by players/coaches etc. from surrounding towns not playing this Friday night. Will be the best atmosphere K has hosted since Hannibal 2016 and the players etc. should totally avoid anything resembling the occasional slow starts we've seen in these overmatched games of late.

I could go deep in the weeds here but no point. Overall it is very rare I really don't have a good read on a game like this but there are too many unpredictable factors plus the fact round 1 was very close (20-19 Kearney). One thing I will say, though, is I have seen many even ones like this break one way or the other early. Would not be one bit surprised to see this happen especially given the very cold conditions to come. Told one of my old HS buddies this is the kind of game I would crawl the six blocks to the Stadium from the house in a foot of snow to witness. FUN TIMES AWAIT.
Very bitterly disappointing finish to an otherwise amazing 10-1 Kearney season. Smithville played with every factor listed here ESPECIALLY urgency. NO substitute for experience, either.

Very bitterly disappointing finish to an otherwise amazing 10-1 Kearney season. Smithville played with every factor listed here ESPECIALLY urgency. NO substitute for experience, either.
I think that is what Fort has going for it as well. A lot of senior leaders who've been here before and know this is the end of the line.
Do you think Kearney's weak second half schedule played into their performance? That was my fear after week 4.

Reactions: thetophat2021

I think that is what Fort has going for it as well. A lot of senior leaders who've been here before and know this is the end of the line.
Do you think Kearney's weak second half schedule played into their performance? That was my fear after week 4.
YES especially the Belton game. Go back to my thread two weeks ago I called that a red flag................

I also told others at the game I wish they would have kept a strong opponent like DeSoto KS on the schedule. It would have helped immensely.........

I heard they are having trouble getting refs for this one. No one wants to deal with the Smithville coach.
Assuming the officials who were finally hired- after a long and arduous search, and much begging, pleading, and cajoling- managed to successfully deal with the antics and shenanigans of the Smithville coach? Did he even have time to complain about anything, with the clock running and all?

Last edited:
Assuming the officials who were finally hired, after a long and arduous search, and much begging, pleading, and cajoling, managed to successfully deal with the antics and shenanigans of the Smithville coach? Did he even have time to complain about anything, with the clock running and all?
Not while his kids were forcing all those turnovers that is for sure. All is good this will benefit the very, very JR heavy KDogs moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT