ADVERTISEMENT

Pressing the JV

Ftballfan16

Sep 3, 2009
It is aggravating when coaches start pressing after team puts in backups in the 4th Quarter.
Miller was up 54-19 at the end of the 3rd and had all the backups in to start the 4th. College Heights starts pressing the backups after not pressing the whole game. Hard not to put starters back in and win by 50.

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Hillcrest kind of did this to Carl Junction today. CJ left the JV in but it was kinda weird.

Yep this is super frustrating when teams do that. It is just asking to have a teams starters run the score up on you and make things worse.

Yep this is super frustrating when teams do that. It is just asking to have a teams starters run the score up on you and make things worse.
And soon as that happens one of your stars gets taken out and loses a knee.

What's the difference of winning by 20 vs winning by 40?
Daddy issues.

Reactions: peterdew63
Districts and playoffs play it all the way out. Press the subs you never know. Regular season don't do it. If you haven't been pressing don't press the subs. If you have been pressing the whole game and they sub and you continue I don't have a problem with it.

Reactions: Coaching41
Districts and playoffs play it all the way out. Press the subs you never know. Regular season don't do it. If you haven't been pressing don't press the subs. If you have been pressing the whole game and they sub and you continue I don't have a problem with it.
The team in the lead controls it all. If they don’t like it, but your team in that grew the lead. It’s a dbag move to never have been pressing, and then decide to do it against the bench. Looks worse if your bench can’t handle it. I’ve done both, let the bench eat it and get a W by a slimmer margin. But I’ve also put starters back in and returned the favor. I can remember that happening three times distinctly, and each time it was only a few possessions before the message was received. Some depends on the message you’re trying to send too. Have let the bench take it in the shorts more than once just to make sure parents are aware the right kids are playing too. As Veer said, 20 or 40 doesn’t really matter. Kids get to play and parents get to see why maybe they don’t play more.

The team in the lead controls it all. If they don’t like it, but your team in that grew the lead. It’s a dbag move to never have been pressing, and then decide to do it against the bench. Looks worse if your bench can’t handle it. I’ve done both, let the bench eat it and get a W by a slimmer margin. But I’ve also put starters back in and returned the favor. I can remember that happening three times distinctly, and each time it was only a few possessions before the message was received. Some depends on the message you’re trying to send too. Have let the bench take it in the shorts more than once just to make sure parents are aware the right kids are playing too. As Veer said, 20 or 40 doesn’t really matter. Kids get to play and parents get to see why maybe they don’t play more.
Parents might see it, but do they get it? My guess is probably not.

Parents might see it, but do they get it? My guess is probably not.
Some see it and some get it and then there is the, "If he would have left some ball handlers in then the subs could have played just as good as the starters.".

I have no problem with this. Who cares. The hopes would be that at some point those reserves need to see that kind of ball pressure. Maybe prepare them more in practice. What is annoying is coaches that complain when they are up 20 with a under a minute left and end up winning by 12 instead because the reserves turned the ball over. It also helps those reserves that they better get better and mommy and daddy can see it crystal clear as well.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
We had a girl's coach here in P.B. that pulled his starters with a big lead down late and the other coach started pressing his subs. He sent his starters to the table and told the other coach if that's how you wanna play it you won't get the ball across half court again in this game! 😂

Reactions: TadQueasy
This doesn't really matter but kind of goes along with this. CJ led Parkview tonight 54-22 with 3 minutes to go so of course CJ has their last 5 on the roster in. Parkview still has their best player in. She only had 6 points. She starts pressing all by herself and scored 9 more points off of steals in those last 3 minutes to get 15 total....which is about her average. Good for her but it kind of shows not all points are equal.

This doesn't really matter but kind of goes along with this. CJ led Parkview tonight 54-22 with 3 minutes to go so of course CJ has their last 5 on the roster in. Parkview still has their best player in. She only had 6 points. She starts pressing all by herself and scored 9 more points off of steals in those last 3 minutes to get 15 total....which is about her average. Good for her but it kind of shows not all points are equal.
I'm always curious of the thought process behind this, especially the adult that allows it to happen. But then again, Greg Schiano had that scenario in the NFL. Just an absolute bush league thing to do. In my older age, I typically just roll my eyes and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT