ADVERTISEMENT

Never have I ever…

ChaoticFanatic

Mar 12, 2009
THE OZARKS
Heard a football coach in a publicly aired interview state that their teams goal is to win 4 or 5 games in the regular season.
Until I watched the preseason interview of Hillcrest(Springfield) coach on the ozone.
I mean, I know he’s being realistic based off of their lack of success in recent years as well as being the smallest(or second smallest) school in their conference, but I mean dang.
Set the bar low, don’t be surprised if your results are low. Good grief.

Coach Buck said he would be satisfied with a 5-4 regular season this year.

Coach Buck said he would be satisfied with a 5-4 regular season this year.
Though admittedly having Nixa, Webb, Carthage and Joplin on the schedule would be more than rough for any team.
but publicly just saying that it’s okay to lose games like that before you even play them at the beginning of a season just seems wild to me.

He said something about hoping to jump up and get one of those teams.

In the Pigskin Preview, for years, Coach Rod predicted Webb to go 5-5

Is there a different one down in Joplin area? Cause Ned reynolds has always made the predictions in the ozarks pigskin preview as far as I know, not the coaches
Yeah, KOAM-TV from Pittsburg KS has been doing it for quite a few years down this way. Always 5-5,

“I’ve found it’s better not to have any goals. That way, you’re not disappointed when you don’t reach them.”

- Peter LaFleur

Reactions: MoSoEagle
I don’t see the big deal. It’s a realistic goal. You can set a goal that you know is impossible and guarantee failure or pick something difficult but attainable and go after it, when you hit it, then raise the bar. It’s a multi year process to get somewhere better than today. I like that better than no goal or a foo foo goal. Maybe in the past it was more realistic so say let’s win this district but today the divide between the top and the bottom is in my opinion insurmountable in many cases. At least over the span of a season.

Heard a football coach in a publicly aired interview state that their teams goal is to win 4 or 5 games in the regular season.
Until I watched the preseason interview of Hillcrest(Springfield) coach on the ozone.
I mean, I know he’s being realistic based off of their lack of success in recent years as well as being the smallest(or second smallest) school in their conference, but I mean dang.
If it had been stated as, “Of course, we want to improve on last season’s record, that’s our first goal”, the expectations and parent/player/fan reaction might be better. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Though admittedly having Nixa, Webb, Carthage and Joplin on the schedule would be more than rough for any team.
but publicly just saying that it’s okay to lose games like that before you even play them at the beginning of a season just seems wild to me.
Man you must be a young pup... I have several newpaper stories from the 70's and early 80's were coaches who returned everbody would talk about thier team like they would be lucky to win one game. The banter and quotes of some of those stories especially from the old Big 12 is awesome. Coaches saying no way... I know we return everybody but we still don't know how to block or run.

Is that really a low bar considering going back the last 8 years and they have had 2 seasons with 5 or more wins?

Well since everyone on here seems to think it’s okay and normal to set low expectations for your players, then I suppose I rescind my previous statement.
🤣🤣

Hillcrest has won 2 games in each of the last 3 years. Going 4-6 would be marked improvement. Then once you go 4-6 you can shoot for 6-4. Doubling your win total is not low expectations, setting attainable goals and then recalibrating those once you attain them is a time tested path to improvement. I struggle to imagine a single coach in the country disagreeing with me on this.

I played for one of the best coaches in the history of southern MO for a team that won maybe 5 games from 95-05, I distinctly remember my freshman year the goal was 4 wins. We hit that mark and then next year the goal was 6 wins, and we hit that mark. After that we ended up winning 8 straight district titles or something like that. You have to start somewhere.

Dipping your bill early I see, Bosko..........:)
Its never too early when it comes to hot Kearney moms!
giphy.gif

Man you must be a young pup... I have several newpaper stories from the 70's and early 80's were coaches who returned everbody would talk about thier team like they would be lucky to win one game. The banter and quotes of some of those stories especially from the old Big 12 is awesome. Coaches saying no way... I know we return everybody but we still don't know how to block or run.
Man, I'm telling you...Bob Shore could make an 0-10 Hillcrest team seem like the Steel Curtain Steelers if you talked to him on a Monday morning. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, was a threat on their schedule. Lol. I get it. And his players certainly bought it. I know that's a tad different than stating mediocre goals, but I can't remember him ever talking about state titles and whatnot. Always were just going to be lucky to win the next game.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT