ADVERTISEMENT

SadButTrue

May 30, 2001
dalc.r191677.gif

3dgrin.r191677.gif

gbp.r191677.gif

Make no mistake, this was simply Dean Blandino's way of making sure no one could accuse him of being Dallas-biasedafter last week...(does anyone else think that this one was too close to NOT stick with the call on the field???)

Its obvious what happened. Christie paid his own way to the game and that completely hosed up the "mojo" he had brought to the table previously. It is a shame this happened to Dez and Jerry. Bahahaha

The call on the field was a catch and I agree Mitsurugi I dont know how they see enough to overturn the call on the field. I want you all to know that I am a Rams fan first and a Cowboys fan second so this is not a 100% bias in favor of Dallas. Also, you need to know that I understand the NFL rule of having to complete the process of the catch all the way through contact with the ground. However, Dez Bryant goes up into the air leaping over the defender to make one of the best catches of the year. He then puts two hands on the ball and pulls the ball into his chest. He then lands on the ground transitioning the ball to his left arm completing the process of the catch. After he completes the process of the catch by having total control and transitioning the ball to his left arm. He then stumbles taking a total of three steps in bounds attempting to get into the endzone. After he fails to reach the endzone his left arm hits the ground at about the 1 yard line causing the ball to be knocked loose. In the NFL the ground can not cause a fumble so therefore the runner was down by contact at the 1 yard line.

People will argue the 3 steps were not a football move. How is three steps in attempt to get into the endzone not a football move? 1 step and I can see saying that it was his momentum during the catch that took him to the ground. But 3 total steps and a all out stretch of his body, to me is a football move. The catch was completed when he tucked the ball to his body and he transitioned the ball into his left arm.

Originally posted by mutigerfan87:
The call on the field was a catch and I agree Mitsurugi I dont know how they see enough to overturn the call on the field. I want you all to know that I am a Rams fan first and a Cowboys fan second so this is not a 100% bias in favor of Dallas. Also, you need to know that I understand the NFL rule of having to complete the process of the catch all the way through contact with the ground. However, Dez Bryant goes up into the air leaping over the defender to make one of the best catches of the year. He then puts two hands on the ball and pulls the ball into his chest. He then lands on the ground transitioning the ball to his left arm completing the process of the catch. After he completes the process of the catch by having total control and transitioning the ball to his left arm. He then stumbles taking a total of three steps in bounds attempting to get into the endzone. After he fails to reach the endzone his left arm hits the ground at about the 1 yard line causing the ball to be knocked loose. In the NFL the ground can not cause a fumble so therefore the runner was down by contact at the 1 yard line.

People will argue the 3 steps were not a football move. How is three steps in attempt to get into the endzone not a football move? 1 step and I can see saying that it was his momentum during the catch that took him to the ground. But 3 total steps and a all out stretch of his body, to me is a football move. The catch was completed when he tucked the ball to his body and he transitioned the ball into his left arm.
Reaching for the goal line was a football move. It was a catch. That said, I'm a Cowboys fan and I think they caught a big break against the Lions. So the conspiracy is the league wanted the Cowboys to beat the Lions and lose to the Packer's I guess.

I can't speak for everyone. For me it started in the 70's, Cowboys vs Big Red, America's team.
CBS --Cowboys broadcasting system. No emotion Tom Landry and his fedora. Never been
a fan of stoic people like Landry, Bjorn Borg, etc. Show a little emotion once.

Also Drew Pearson pushed off on the Hail Mary. Hollywood Henderson. Played the Steelers
in the Super Bowl. Dallas represents establishment Texas. Just like UT.

Hated Jimmy Johnson and his criminals at Miami so that was an easy continuation.
Jerry Jones is annoying. Michael Irvin said the pot was his nephews. Stop it.
Dez Bryant- parasite. TO played there.

Even today on the pre game the Fox people wanted Dallas to win so bad
Joe Buck was disappointed they overturned the call

Regarding GB, once Favre finally quit, I know it pains him to watch Rodgers be more
successful. So go Pack!

Originally posted by Rock Hard Corn Frog:
So the conspiracy is the league wanted the Cowboys to beat the Lions and lose to the Packer's I guess.
I can only speak for myself, but I believe that Dean Blandino did what he could to give the Cowboys a gift last week, but then after the article about his preseason partying with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones' son resurfaced and made things look bad for him, Blandino decided to make it abundantly clear that he is NOT in the Cowboys camp(all in all, it pretty much boiled down to an elaborate make up call...)

...but that's just my opinion
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I didn't see anything on the replay that showed the ball hit the ground. It did show that he lost control at some point, but the ball went in the air and he caught before it hit the ground and he was laying in the end zone by then. Should have been a TD instead of no catch!

The call that was NOT reversed early in the game when the replay from behind the play CLEARLY showed that the nose of the ball DID hit the ground was awful!!!

Originally posted by HannibalLector:

Originally posted by Drop.Tine:
Why do people hate the Cowboys but not the Packers?

You should love the Packers as gun crazy as you are.
laugh.r191677.gif
Packer fans are scum of the Earth. And they have to be the dumbest set of fans on earth. They literally can sell a Packer fan a piece of paper to make them believe they own a share of the Packers. Idiots.

Like Duck, my hatred of the Cowboys started in the 70's when I was a Big Red fan. It was based on pure jealousy. They were the poster boy of pro football and everyone loved them. Seemed like Roger Staubach would lead a game winning drive to beat whoever they were playing every week. The only time I ever rooted for them was when one of our hometown boys who played for Parcells at Vandy, was the QB coach for him at Dallas. Still got some of the Dallas crap he gave me but I wouldn't get caught wearing it in public.

We can argue all day about the call but the way I see (and the officials) it was that it was the correct call for an unfair rule. With that being said it won me some money so I'm a happy camper.

Originally posted by 3Rfan:
I didn't see anything on the replay that showed the ball hit the ground. It did show that he lost control at some point, but the ball went in the air and he caught before it hit the ground and he was laying in the end zone by then. Should have been a TD instead of no catch!

The call that was NOT reversed early in the game when the replay from behind the play CLEARLY showed that the nose of the ball DID hit the ground was awful!!!
The ball hit the ground, thus it popped up in the air for him to catch

Originally posted by SadButTrue:
Originally posted by 3Rfan:

The ball hit the ground, thus it popped up in the air for him to catch
The ball did hit the ground. Granted it was after he caught the ball,switched it over to his left hand, took three steps and reached for the goal line. It all happened in less than a second of course but it would make Bryant pretty much the first receiver in the history of the game to try to secure a catch by stretching his body out as far as possible as he went to the ground from instead of pulling it in to his body.

Originally posted by Mitsurugi san:
So the conspiracy is the league wanted the Cowboys to beat the Lions and lose to the Packer's I guess.
I can only speak for myself, but I believe that Dean Blandino did what he could to give the Cowboys a gift last week, but then after the article about his preseason partying with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones' son resurfaced and made things look bad for him, Blandino decided to make it abundantly clear that he is NOT in the Cowboys camp(all in all, it pretty much boiled down to an elaborate make up call...)

3dgrin.r191677.gif
LOL Mike Pereira was already saying that the play was going to get overturned and even stated in the rules why it would, so it was no surprise when they came back and it was overturned. He mentioned that had Dez shown more control of the ball and been able to stretch out further then the call probable would have stood, but because of his inability to completely stretch out that he demonstrated lack of total control of the ball.

Originally posted by bullitpdq68:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
LOL Mike Pereira was already saying that the play was going to get overturned and even stated in the rules why it would, so it was no surprise when they came back and it was overturned. He mentioned that had Dez shown more control of the ball and been able to stretch out further then the call probable would have stood, but because of his inability to completely stretch out that he demonstrated lack of total control of the ball.

And thus Mike Pereira demonstrated his lack of knowledge of the rules, as well as an inability to fully grasp the situation/play in question. I know everyone lauds this guy as the supreme ruler and being when it comes to NFL officiating, but this call was the wrong call. I can't blame the refs, because I think they were just trying to enforce a really, really, really poorly written, vague rule.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of what the NFL rules of a catch really are, and why Pereira, Blandino and the rest of the NFL bums have everything wrong:

It was a catch!

Dez made the catch, secured the ball with clear possession, switched hands, took three steps and lunged towards the end zone. If that does not fit the ambiguous definition of a 'football move' then nothing can. Pereira saying he needed to stretch out further is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

The NFL needs an overhaul of ridiculous rules like this.

Originally posted by ct_mitchell:

And thus Mike Pereira demonstrated his lack of knowledge of the rules, as well as an inability to fully grasp the situation/play in question. I know everyone lauds this guy as the supreme ruler and being when it comes to NFL officiating, but this call was the wrong call. I can't blame the refs, because I think they were just trying to enforce a really, really, really poorly written, vague rule.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of what the NFL rules of a catch really are, and why Pereira, Blandino and the rest of the NFL bums have everything wrong:

It was a catch!

Dez made the catch, secured the ball with clear possession, switched hands, took three steps and lunged towards the end zone. If that does not fit the ambiguous definition of a 'football move' then nothing can. Pereira saying he needed to stretch out further is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

That, AND the fact that any ambiguity is supposed to play in favor of the call on the field(which was a catch); clear and convincing evidence, right?...

...I still say Blandino made the final call in the ref's ear(and he did so to cover his own butt!)

It was a catch!

That, AND the fact that any ambiguity is supposed to play in favor of the call on the field(which was a catch); clear and convincing evidence, right?...

...I still say Blandino made the final call in the ref's ear(and he did so to cover his own butt!)
Someone needs to tell Blandino he is messing with America's Team.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

It was a catch!

Listen Mitchell you being from Texas has put blinders on you. I don't have a dog in the fight if Texas would have won so be it, had Green Bay won who cares. I agree Dez made the catch however you have to go to the ground and keep control. So instead of going to the ground in control of the football he did what a lot of bone head NFL players do he tried to stretch out for more in the process of the catch. Listen Dez just secure the dang ball go to the ground 1st and goal from the 1. It was 4th down the most important thing you as a player needed to do was to make sure you caught the DANG ball!!! and instead you tried to get greedy and stretch out going to the ground and lost the ball and possible lost your team the game end of story.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

It was a catch!

Listen Mitchell you being from Texas has put blinders on you. I don't have a dog in the fight if Texas would have won so be it, had Green Bay won who cares. I agree Dez made the catch however you have to go to the ground and keep control. So instead of going to the ground in control of the football he did what a lot of bone head NFL players do he tried to stretch out for more in the process of the catch. Listen Dez just secure the dang ball go to the ground 1st and goal from the 1. It was 4th down the most important thing you as a player needed to do was to make sure you caught the DANG ball!!! and instead you tried to get greedy and stretch out going to the ground and lost the ball and possible lost your team the game end of story.

The point is once he tried to stretch out going to the ground that is evidence of a football move and then it is a catch regardless of what happens when he hits the ground. Dez has been a very immature person/player for most of his career but I don't think this play was a result of him being selfish in any way.

The call is made though and the NFL isn't reversing it so I really doubt regardless of how you come down on this that the NFL is going to come out and admit they were wrong in how the rule was applied. It is just going to go down in NFL history as one of those plays that is talked about for years.

I'm sure everyone involved in the decision on what was the correct call on this play fully intended to screw the Cowboys. They never gave a minutes thought as to the impact and controversy the call was going to bring about. They just wanted to cheat them knowing full well that no one would catch on. It's just a travesty that will haunt the NFL forever. In fact this will be the coup de gras of pro football as we have known it. THey probably will cancel this years Super Bowl.
sad0004.r191677.gif

3dgrin.r191677.gif

It was a catch!

The point is once he tried to stretch out going to the ground that is evidence of a football move and then it is a catch regardless of what happens when he hits the ground. Dez has been a very immature person/player for most of his career but I don't think this play was a result of him being selfish in any way.

The call is made though and the NFL isn't reversing it so I really doubt regardless of how you come down on this that the NFL is going to come out and admit they were wrong in how the rule was applied. It is just going to go down in NFL history as one of those plays that is talked about for years.
like that tuck rule....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT