ADVERTISEMENT

Juniors playing JV football…

What do YOU think?…

• Go for it!

Votes: 44 93.6%
  • Bad form!

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Depends how talented they are. If they are playing varsity maybe it’s not for the best to play JV. But you also see teams who don’t have a big roster need some older players playing both so they can field teams. I think it’s very circumstantial. I’ve seen freshman and sophomores push older JV players to the brink.

Junior QBs play JV all of the time and then start varsity their senior year.

I think this is a big school vs small school thing. Juniors playin jv at the class 5 and 6 schools is almost a certain as they field freshman teams. Smaller schools it’s primarily fresh and sophomores.
I'd agree. It is extremely common for Juniors to play at bigger schools. Some don't see the field until their Senior year... and then even some still don't.

At smaller schools I'm guessing those Juniors are already playing Varsity football. Would make no sense for them to play JV.

JV what's that lots of schools up here in st. Louis area is lucky to have a varsity team. What hurts is the few froshes that come out never see the field they are just practice players because there is no JV. Class 5 and 6 schools for the most part have lower-level games.

Kind of depends on the situation. If they're being developed to be a varsity player the next year, absolutely. Have seen it a bit this season, and super confusing to me. A junior (some sophs too, for that matter) playing a lot of snaps on Friday night, some even starting, playing a lot on Monday nights too. It's odd to me.

Kind of depends on the situation. If they're being developed to be a varsity player the next year, absolutely. Have seen it a bit this season, and super confusing to me. A junior (some sophs too, for that matter) playing a lot of snaps on Friday night, some even starting, playing a lot on Monday nights too. It's odd to me.
If kids are allowed 6 quarters I think they should be allowed to play them all if they want. I don't even have an issue with seniors playing JV if that is where the coach feels like they belong.

If kids are allowed 6 quarters I think they should be allowed to play them all if they want. I don't even have an issue with seniors playing JV if that is where the coach feels like they belong.
I totally disagree with seniors playing JV. What's the point? Doesn't JV exist to prepare players for varsity? I feel that's wasting developmental play for an underclassman. And I totally get the 6 quarters argument for the underclassmen. I just think if an underclassman is starting or a big part of the plan for Friday night, it seems counterproductive to have that player going on Monday as well. Not sure I'd want a big piece of my varsity game plan risking injury or getting worn down playing a JV game.

I totally disagree with seniors playing JV. What's the point? Doesn't JV exist to prepare players for varsity? I feel that's wasting developmental play for an underclassman. And I totally get the 6 quarters argument for the underclassmen. I just think if an underclassman is starting or a big part of the plan for Friday night, it seems counterproductive to have that player going on Monday as well. Not sure I'd want a big piece of my varsity game plan risking injury or getting worn down playing a JV game.
I mean is the point of sports winning games or teaching valuable lessons? Should the senior not get the opportunity to compete and learns those lessons even if he is physically less gifted. In a cut sport I would agree with you but in football I think a senior getting 10 plays on JV isn't a big deal.

4 A st Charles has no lower level 4A Warrenton has cancelled lower level 4A Jennings has no lower level so it is cool where you guys live to have to make those decisions up here you just hope you have enough to play varsity football. Totally different world in football in southwest Missouri. If you want to talk about lower-level soccer now we have that up here big time.

I wouldn't be surprised 8 man football will have more teams than 11 man football in 5 years. Brentwood will play with 20 guys this season. Van-Far has 21 they need to play 8 men for football to survive.

Reactions: Mo8ManFootball
In places like Webb city, it is a culture you grow up playing football. Parents encourage kids to play at a young age. Up here kids would rather work after school and football are just too hard.

I mean is the point of sports winning games or teaching valuable lessons? Should the senior not get the opportunity to compete and learns those lessons even if he is physically less gifted. In a cut sport I would agree with you but in football I think a senior getting 10 plays on JV isn't a big deal.
Not sure varsity head coaches get hired and fired based on their teaching of valuable lessons. But I get what you're saying, to a degree. I don't think it matters much if those lessons equate to senior taking snaps from an underclassman in a JV game.

What if you have a Senior that has never played until his final year. Came out to experience what HS football is all about. He never is going to sniff the field in a Varsity game. I think it is ok for a Senior in that situation to play in a JV game just to get some actual football reps and potentially have a little success in all that is new to him.

JV is for anyone that is not good enough for varsity. I had my first 5 in girls basketball play jv for one period. They really were not good enough for varsity. Would have been jv on most squads. I had to get them extra playing time some way so they could get more experience. Now, when they played varsity they usually got pounded but they had one quarter of some decent success in a jv game.

I used JV to prepare my varsity. While an assistant a very good class 1 school, we had a lot of JR that played JV because they did not start on varsity and was a backup when we were good and had numbers. We started sliding and numbers went down so more JR had to play V and not get the reps they needed as JV kids but had to learn on fly on the V level. Big difference when they can stay and get that extra year of experience if they are not quite ready for V. Had a Jr kid make 1st team all state LB as a SR because he just was not ready to play his JR season and confident enough. As head BBall coach, I always was upfront with Sr who was not going to play much (we could not cut as a school policy) and ask if they wanted to play down a few quarters each night on JV. I did play 1 kid as a Sr and did not give him an option early in the season. He was a 6'8 player moved in from a home school situation at the beginning of the school year. Needed that JV time to catch up to speed of things and scheme of things. Still had a limited role 2nd half of the season, but had to try and get him ready for the post season if at all possible.

I used JV to prepare my varsity. While an assistant a very good class 1 school, we had a lot of JR that played JV because they did not start on varsity and was a backup when we were good and had numbers. We started sliding and numbers went down so more JR had to play V and not get the reps they needed as JV kids but had to learn on fly on the V level. Big difference when they can stay and get that extra year of experience if they are not quite ready for V. Had a Jr kid make 1st team all state LB as a SR because he just was not ready to play his JR season and confident enough. As head BBall coach, I always was upfront with Sr who was not going to play much (we could not cut as a school policy) and ask if they wanted to play down a few quarters each night on JV. I did play 1 kid as a Sr and did not give him an option early in the season. He was a 6'8 player moved in from a home school situation at the beginning of the school year. Needed that JV time to catch up to speed of things and scheme of things. Still had a limited role 2nd half of the season, but had to try and get him ready for the post season if at all possible.
Who do you coach? Coach?

Im pretty sure you know the rules by now. You gotta be VOTED in!!!! Perhaps you need to step up your GIF and witty banter game.
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: BoosterBosko
For many schools today it is a numbers game, You might have to play a junior just to be able to feild a JV squad so your younger kids can play on Monday nights.

Right now in the Big 8 many schools are not able to field a freshmen and JV so you are seeing many combined and sometimes certain postions don't have alot of depth so maybe a Junior has to be that guy.

JV is all about development. If a guy is a Jr and needs that playing time to, hopefully, be able to play Friday Nights later in the season, or next year. By all means, play him on Monday. To me, its all about getting kids playing time, when we are talking about sub-varsity level,. Yes, you want to win the game, but in the end its all about them learning... its not like they give championships for JV..

Reactions: Missouri Kid
JV is all about development. If a guy is a Jr and needs that playing time to, hopefully, be able to play Friday Nights later in the season, or next year. By all means, play him on Monday. To me, its all about getting kids playing time, when we are talking about sub-varsity level,. Yes, you want to win the game, but in the end its all about them learning... its not like they give championships for JV..
This is about as good of an explanation as there is on this topic, IMHO.

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
At bigger schools, there are definitely a lot of juniors playing JV. Especially if you have a large senior class and they’re getting the majority of the varsity spots and playing time, then there’s going to be juniors on JV those years. It’s just going to happen. Doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT