ADVERTISEMENT

Grain Valley 46-42 Fort Osage (Final)

quadzilla200

Feb 21, 2020
GV good passing game. Using TE and WRs well. Fort grinded the ball with Peppers across midfield before botched snap fumble.

Noticed GV has almost 90 10-12th graders on roster. Fort only has 63. Impressive

GV has guys going both ways. Saw one of their running backs track Peppers down in backfield.

Fort airs it out 80 yd bomb.
GV continues to have drops on offense.

Last edited:
And Peppers goes down on what seems like his 30th carry with 3 minutes left in the third. GV intercepts next play takes it down to 5. Scores on next play. 13 pts in a minute

GV continues to drop punts, hand offs, etc. When they aren't doing that the offense looks good. Just gave Fort the ball on a dropped punt at the 20.
Heading to the 4th. Peppers back in
Forts new QB looking like he will be just fine.

Caldarella w a 50yd run at QB and and Williams the RB with a 30yd run. That is a dangerous duo!
That is 3 missed EPs though

There are three potential Simone candidates in this game. Peppers, Caldarella and GVs tank running back Ty Williams all playing very well tonight.
Caldarella is a very fast QB and accurate.

What a game GV had them on their heels until the muffed punt and then it was a dogfight. GV will be tough if they can clean it up and protect the ball. FO continues to turn out good teams

Last edited:
What a game GV had them on their heels until the miffed punt and then it was a dogfight. GV will be tough if they can clean it up and protect the ball. FO continues to turn out good teams
Top programs never go away. Kearney, injuries notwithstanding, got a taste of it and so did several teams across MO.

There are three potential Simone candidates in this game. Peppers, Caldarella and GVs tank running back Ty Williams all playing very well tonight.
Caldarella is a very fast QB and accurate.
I'm out of town so wasn't able to attend. I appreciate the updates. I'm actually pleasantly suprised Fort gave them a game. My expecatation is that GV is the top C5 team in KC.

Sounds like the GV qb gashed the young Fort secondary.

What were your thoughts on the Fort performance and potential overall? I'm encouraged by the final score but not being there in person it's hard to form an strong opinion.

Reactions: Herman.Boone
I'm out of town so wasn't able to attend. I appreciate the updates. I'm actually pleasantly suprised Fort gave them a game. My expecatation is that GV is the top C5 team in KC.

Sounds like the GV qb gashed the young Fort secondary.

What were your thoughts on the Fort performance and potential overall? I'm encouraged by the final score but not being there in person it's hard to form an strong opinion.
Peppers carried the ball 33 times. That is way too much for his type of build. It was a very hard earned 150+ yards. GV did a pretty good job bottling him up and not giving up the huge runs. Testament to Peppers that he still averaged 5 yds a carry. FOs new quarterback Wilson did very good for his first game. A couple of picks, but also some very nice touchdown passes and a very good smart scramble late in the game. Alex Snodgrass and Nick Penamon are some new WR and special teams threats. The junior linebacking corps is strong. I'm not so sure on the rest of the defense. That was a very high octane offense they were playing. Secondary definitely struggled and I'm not sure about the defensive line. I saw some moments, but there were a lot of big runs from GV. Bransteitter not causing havoc in the middle really changes the dynamics of what others are having to do. The kicker Shepard caused a touchback everytime which is a big advantage. Not having Fenner on returns (they had Peppers doing that too) changes field position drastically. I think they will be in the district championship game with PC or GV.

It felt like GV should've won by more, because their offensive was much more explosive, but they kept making silly mistakes and Fort capitalized every time. Caldarella was very impressive as was the running back Williams. Strange thing is Caldarella was a Fort kid, but transferred to Blue Springs after middle school, because he was going to be stuck behind Menne for three years. Ended up working out for both sides. You definitely can see his poise having quarterbacked Blue Springs for the last two years. I saw Williams listed as a QB/RB, and then I saw who I thought was their RB listed as RB/LB and he played LB and got to Peppers on a couple sweeps. When Williams got hurt at the end they slid that kid right back into the RB position. I think GV is a threat in C5 (hoping Williams isn't hurt long term). I'm kind of interested in that Grandview game next week. I wasn't expecting WC to get shut out by them.

Reactions: ugaboz

Peppers carried the ball 33 times. That is way too much for his type of build. It was a very hard earned 150+ yards. GV did a pretty good job bottling him up and not giving up the huge runs. Testament to Peppers that he still averaged 5 yds a carry. FOs new quarterback Wilson did very good for his first game. A couple of picks, but also some very nice touchdown passes and a very good smart scramble late in the game. Alex Snodgrass and Nick Penamon are some new WR and special teams threats. The junior linebacking corps is strong. I'm not so sure on the rest of the defense. That was a very high octane offense they were playing. Secondary definitely struggled and I'm not sure about the defensive line. I saw some moments, but there were a lot of big runs from GV. Bransteitter not causing havoc in the middle really changes the dynamics of what others are having to do. The kicker Shepard caused a touchback everytime which is a big advantage. Not having Fenner on returns (they had Peppers doing that too) changes field position drastically. I think they will be in the district championship game with PC or GV.

It felt like GV should've won by more, because their offensive was much more explosive, but they kept making silly mistakes and Fort capitalized every time. Caldarella was very impressive as was the running back Williams. Strange thing is Caldarella was a Fort kid, but transferred to Blue Springs after middle school, because he was going to be stuck behind Menne for three years. Ended up working out for both sides. You definitely can see his poise having quarterbacked Blue Springs for the last two years. I saw Williams listed as a QB/RB, and then I saw who I thought was their RB listed as RB/LB and he played LB and got to Peppers on a couple sweeps. When Williams got hurt at the end they slid that kid right back into the RB position. I think GV is a threat in C5 (hoping Williams isn't hurt long term). I'm kind of interested in that Grandview game next week. I wasn't expecting WC to get shut out by them.
Thanks for the info. Curious to see how Fort responds vs Kearney next week and I'm sure Kearney will be highly motivated coming off the loss to PC.

Thanks for the info. Curious to see how Fort responds vs Kearney next week and I'm sure Kearney will be highly motivated coming off the loss to PC.

Kearney vs. Fort should be a toss-up. Kearney with two key injuries, not the least of which is the third-year starting QB who went after a couple of plays in Game 1. I don't know how capable K is at stopping the run, given the other key injury. This could be a war of attrition. PC didn't get much of anything on the ground. And hard to tell how good K can do on D when the O kept giving up the ball. I think they had five turnovers against PC.

Kearney vs. Fort should be a toss-up. Kearney with two key injuries, not the least of which is the third-year starting QB who went after a couple of plays in Game 1. I don't know how capable K is at stopping the run, given the other key injury. This could be a war of attrition. PC didn't get much of anything on the ground. And hard to tell how good K can do on D when the O kept giving up the ball. I think they had five turnovers against PC.
Openers can be very tricky. Have seen even the best teams have lots of issues. Kearney will clean it all up. Minnick with a week to prep with the players he has there is no way Fort let alone any of us has any idea what he and staff will cook up. The heat won't be near the factor it was last week. More nominal Labor Day weather not the Week 1 Louisiana bayou humidity.

sad-walk-of-shame.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Veer_left
Minnick provided a masterclass in play calling in last year's game and the kids executed flawlessly. Peppers is going to get hurt if they keep running him 30+ times a game. I hope Fort comes up with some creativity in their play calling.
Is it Grace that is hurt? Hope it isn't too bad as he is a great athlete.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Minnick provided a masterclass in play calling in last year's game and the kids executed flawlessly. Peppers is going to get hurt if they keep running him 30+ times a game. I hope Fort comes up with some creativity in their play calling.
He was not dressed out last week and the QB Rooney, as stated previously, exited early with a leg injury. No timelines on either returning, sorry.

He was not dressed out last week and the QB Rooney, as stated previously, exited early with a leg injury. No timelines on either returning, sorry.
On those notes I could see Kearney being probably the most dangerous 0-3 team in MO. Their first three opponents have elite resumes. Interesting how things can flip. Last year I was out of my shoes elated at them pulling off a 3-0 start but they showed late season and in the District playoffs they were not ready. Coming from (way) off the pace this fall could be as interesting as it gets IF they get relatively healthy.

Yes, led in tackles for a loss as a sophomore and sacks. Key play when he chased down Menne last year on the int in the 1Q.

Kearney came out and punched Fort in the mouth right away last season and Fort couldn't recover. Kearney scored, recovered an onside kick and scored again and at that point the game was all but over.

The injuries early this season for Kearney are tough but they'll be fine by the end of the season. As Fort knows all to well.....all that matters is how you are playing in November.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Kearney came out and punched Fort in the mouth right away last season and Fort couldn't recover. Kearney scored, recovered an onside kick and scored again and at that point the game was all but over.

The injuries early this season for Kearney are tough but they'll be fine by the end of the season. As Fort knows all to well.....all that matters is how you are playing in November.
You all went through the Menne recovery from a serious looking injury last year in this very game. I expect we will see similar from Kearney. The next week will be the REAL measuring stick against now MO ranked #1 Smithville.

Reactions: Fort80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT