ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Bennett coach @ Chaminade appears to be the real deal

metro-dude

Jan 28, 2004
Frank Bennett coaches @ Chaminade high school. Frank was hired as head coach three years ago. Coach Bennett and Chaminade won the class 5 state championship last season with a 27-5 record. Chaminade is ranked # 1 in St. Louis this year with a 10-1 record. ( Lost to Champaign Central, Illinois ) Frank Bennett's teams have only been beaten by Missouri competition one time in the last three seasons ( Lost to Park Hill South 53-50 back in 2016 ).

Here are the out of state teams to defeat Chaminade since Frank Bennett became head coach almost three years ago.

1. Champaign Central, Illinois---84-79

Chaminade will Play Champaign Central next week @ the Highland shootout.

1. Oak Hill Academy----------69-62
2. High Point Christian, Fl.---63-61
3. Sierra Canyon, Calif.-------66-58
4. Dematha Catholic, Mass.-72-69
5. St. Patrick, Fl.----------------52-49

1. Dematha Catholic, Mass-------55-54
2. St. Rita, Illinois--------------------77-75
3. Bentonville, Ark.------------------86-77

Yes Frank Bennett is not in the " Missouri Coaches Hall of Fame " but his record is 61-10. I have this feeling Frank Bennett will be a " Hall Of Fame Coach " very soon however if he moves to a public high school, I can not be for sure.

Frank Bennett was an asst coach for Kelvin Lee the popular St. Louis area coach now @ St. Mary's.

not as hard to win games when you have a legacy of sending players to the league and you get to hand pick your roster. However, I'm sure Coach Bennett knows what he's doing. The best coaches in the state grind out wins while being underathleted and outmatched year in and year out

not as hard to win games when you have a legacy of sending players to the league and you get to hand pick your roster. However, I'm sure Coach Bennett knows what he's doing. The best coaches in the state grind out wins while being underathleted and outmatched year in and year out

Many of my friends say good coaches take good or great talent and win big and often with them. Some even say we have potential good coaches who never get the chance to win big and often because they do not coach in " Traditional Schools " like Webster, Chaminade, Sikeston, Springfield Kickapoo, Vashon and others. Basketball is changing in Missouri with the advantages going to the " Private Schools " and some take advantage of their edge. Only a very few public schools look for advantages to increase their chances for success and almost 100% of our fans look the other way.

I do not know of any private high schools in Missouri who does not abide by the MSHSAA rules. They are clean but MSHSAA rules does indeed favor the very few private schools who exercise their rights.

Coach Bennett's work this season has been remarkable.From a rotation that includes 2 seniors, 5 juniors, 1 Soph and 2 freshmen he has them following every coach's mantra, they get better every time out and are work in progress. These guys learned a lot going up against last years champs. They are fun to watch.

Many of my friends say good coaches take good or great talent and win big and often with them. Some even say we have potential good coaches who never get the chance to win big and often because they do not coach in " Traditional Schools " like Webster, Chaminade, Sikeston, Springfield Kickapoo, Vashon and others. Basketball is changing in Missouri with the advantages going to the " Private Schools " and some take advantage of their edge. Only a very few public schools look for advantages to increase their chances for success and almost 100% of our fans look the other way.

I do not know of any private high schools in Missouri who does not abide by the MSHSAA rules. They are clean but MSHSAA rules does indeed favor the very few private schools who exercise their rights.
Privates have had the advantage for years. The only thing that might be a little different is there doesn't seem to be as many publics in the game as there used to be. Some public "powerhouses" of the past haven't enjoyed as many top players lately as they used to. It's not hard to list a few who used to constantly have college talent suddenly move into town who don't get that now. So in that way I suppose you could be right. It's changed a little. Fewer publics seem to be doing it.

Interesting you call Sikeston a "traditional school"....that is a school that never had much basketball success to speak of until Holifield got there. I think that you list them under a header of traditional school shows the job that he's done there. Bennett may be an amazing coach but he won't get the respect that he probably deserves until he proves he can win in a "normal" situation without the Duke and Iowa recruits and 6'11" Canadians walking through the doors. Tell you what. Go to Delta. Go to Marquand. Go to Southland. Go to Cooter. You get those schools rolling and winning (without raiding the local talent at other schools) and you'll have my respect for sure.

Reactions: Larry Doby
Interesting you call Sikeston a "traditional school"....that is a school that never had much basketball success to speak of until Holifield got there. I think that you list them under a header of traditional school shows the job that he's done there. Bennett may be an amazing coach but he won't get the respect that he probably deserves until he proves he can win in a "normal" situation without the Duke and Iowa recruits and 6'11" Canadians walking through the doors. Tell you what. Go to Delta. Go to Marquand. Go to Southland. Go to Cooter. You get those schools rolling and winning (without raiding the local talent at other schools) and you'll have my respect for sure.
Bucket, Sikeston has been winning for the last 10 years or more . Greg Holifield was the coach in charge when the talent started rolling in. Greg has done a great job of getting the talent out for the team and I like his system of pressure defenses. Greg Holifield deserves all the credit he is getting as a coach. Sikeston has 957 students which is about right to compete @ a high level. Sikeston has Fred Thatch which is a player who comes along about every 40-50 years. Bucket, can you think of a Sikeston basketball player in the last 50 years who compares with Fred?

The coaches @ the schools you mentioned above only have 100 students or less in high schools. It's difficult or impossible to produce a consistence winner.

Bucket, I can not get a good grip on how good Sikeston really is because of the teams they play. The Bulldogs clock about 40% of their opponents. Bucket, who are the top teams Sikeston have played to date?

We in St. Louis believe---Taking great talent and winning big with it is one of the first signs of a " Great Coach. " Frank Bennett has certainly done that. Only one Missouri team has defeated Chaminade in his first three years of coaching @ Chaminade. I believe Chaminade will not win the class 5 state championship this year because of SLUH, Webster and Lee Summit West out of Kansas City.

Last edited:
I think the sign of a great coach is taking average talent and winning big or going to a non-traditional basketball power and turning it into a power or turning a struggling program around. I think many coaches can win if they have blue chip players all over the roster. Only a rare coach can do what I mentioned.

I think the sign of a great coach is taking average talent and winning big or going to a non-traditional basketball power and turning it into a power or turning a struggling program around. I think many coaches can win if they have blue chip players all over the roster. Only a rare coach can do what I mentioned.

Bucket, Name the coaches who wins big with average talent? "Name a coach who has turned a " Struggling program into a big winner? Kelvin Lee took a struggling program @ St. Mary's and appears to be heading for something big but must defeat Vashon for the opportunity. Tony Irons appears to be " Turning the Vashon around " but there's more work to be done. Justin Tatum appears to have turned the CBC program around. The coaches listed above have had talent to pave the way for their success. I find it very difficult to have an elite team without talent. We in St. Louis believe in a big schedule. Great coaches and teams defeat who they are supposed to defeat and win a couple of games when you are the underdog.

Bucket, Can you name a couple of teams who have upset wins this season?

1. Advance got an upset in the Christmas Tournament @ Cape.
2. St. Mary's got the upset against powerful SLUH
3. Ladue got the upset @ MICDS when they defeated Howell
4.Small school Oran almost got the upset against Charleston but lost in overtime.
5. SLUH got the upset over powerful Webster @ Meramec
6. Borgia got the upset over Ladue

Bucket, Name the coaches who wins big with average talent? "Name a coach who has turned a " Struggling program into a big winner? Kelvin Lee took a struggling program @ St. Mary's and appears to be heading for something big but must defeat Vashon for the opportunity. Tony Irons appears to be " Turning the Vashon around " but there's more work to be done. Justin Tatum appears to have turned the CBC program around. The coaches listed above have had talent to pave the way for their success. I find it very difficult to have an elite team without talent. We in St. Louis believe in a big schedule. Great coaches and teams defeat who they are supposed to defeat and win a couple of games when you are the underdog.

4.Small school Oran almost got the upset against Charleston but lost in overtime.

Kevin Walsh's very average Vianney team has beaten Ladue, Jennings, and SLUH already this season.

Kevin Walsh's very average Vianney team has beaten Ladue, Jennings, and SLUH already this season.

It appears Kevin Walsh and his staff has got three big upset th

Kevin Walsh and staff did indeed steal these three games and Kelvin should be arrested and charged with theft

Vianney--67
Ladue----61--Ladue is 8-3

Vianney---63
SLUH-----58---The Jr.Bills are 11-4 and one of the top five teams in St. Louis.

Vianney---55
Jennings--46--Jennings is 11-2

Who else out there has stolen games from stronger opponent?

Bucket, Sikeston has been winning for the last 10 years or more . Greg Holifield was the coach in charge when the talent started rolling in. Greg has done a great job of getting the talent out for the team and I like his system of pressure defenses. Greg Holifield deserves all the credit he is getting as a coach. Sikeston has 957 students which is about right to compete @ a high level. Sikeston has Fred Thatch which is a player who comes along about every 40-50 years. Bucket, can you think of a Sikeston basketball player in the last 50 years who compares with Fred?

The coaches @ the schools you mentioned above only have 100 students or less in high schools. It's difficult or impossible to produce a consistence winner.

Bucket, I can not get a good grip on how good Sikeston really is because of the teams they play. The Bulldogs clock about 40% of their opponents. Bucket, who are the top teams Sikeston have played to date?

We in St. Louis believe---Taking great talent and winning big with it is one of the first signs of a " Great Coach. " Frank Bennett has certainly done that. Only one Missouri team has defeated Chaminade in his first three years of coaching @ Chaminade. I believe Chaminade will not win the class 5 state championship this year because of SLUH, Webster and Lee Summit West out of Kansas City.

Metro..Sikeston has had a few "decent" players: Michael Porter (4 time all state), JT Jones (2 time all state), Brian Ellitt (2 time all state...maybe once), Lontas McClinton (2 time all state...maybe once). Michael Porter is the all time leading scorer with 1,994 points, Brian Ellitt is next with 1,500+, Fred Thatch is now 3rd with 1,300+, and JT Jones is now 4th with 1,300+. I think all of the above players compare with Fred, but Fred, barring unforeseen circumstances, will be the all-time leading scorer and best to ever play at Sikeston. Taking NOTHING away from the other players, Fred is a different level. The others may be better in certain aspects, but overall Fred is better. He's a talent...

Regarding the Dogs win...we won the SEMO Conference Tournament...beating Charleston and Jackson. I would put the SEMO Conference against any in the state...strength throughout. We have now beaten Charleston twice...the second by 23 points (last night), we won the St Dominic Tournament (I realize you think it's weak), but Ft Zum South has some bodies and a REALLY good coach...they are vastly underrated. The Dogs are just now hitting the tough stretch of the schedule.

Last year you didn't give the Dogs love and we took Vashon to OT and has as much of a chance to win the game as they did. I think we may be better this year....time will tell.

St. Mary's beating SLUH was no upset St. Mary's is loaded. Chaminade coach is good but
he has the best roster in Missouri if you can't win with that roster something is wrong.

Metro..Sikeston has had a few "decent" players: Michael Porter (4 time all state), JT Jones (2 time all state), Brian Ellitt (2 time all state...maybe once), Lontas McClinton (2 time all state...maybe once). Michael Porter is the all time leading scorer with 1,994 points, Brian Ellitt is next with 1,500+, Fred Thatch is now 3rd with 1,300+, and JT Jones is now 4th with 1,300+. I think all of the above players compare with Fred, but Fred, barring unforeseen circumstances, will be the all-time leading scorer and best to ever play at Sikeston. Taking NOTHING away from the other players, Fred is a different level. The others may be better in certain aspects, but overall Fred is better. He's a talent...

Regarding the Dogs win...we won the SEMO Conference Tournament...beating Charleston and Jackson. I would put the SEMO Conference against any in the state...strength throughout. We have now beaten Charleston twice...the second by 23 points (last night), we won the St Dominic Tournament (I realize you think it's weak), but Ft Zum South has some bodies and a REALLY good coach...they are vastly underrated. The Dogs are just now hitting the tough stretch of the schedule.

Last year you didn't give the Dogs love and we took Vashon to OT and has as much of a chance to win the game as they did. I think we may be better this year....time will tell.
Isn't Fred a senior this year?

"Name a coach who has turned a struggling program into a big winner." That's easy....Gregg Holifield at Sikeston. Took over a program with three straight losing seasons and a very average basketball history. I'd say they are a big winner now. All-time winningest coach at Sikeston. At the basketball academies in St. Louis such as Chaminade, CBC, Vashon, you don't turn the program around. You recruit better players.

Reactions: DOGFATHER1
"Name a coach who has turned a struggling program into a big winner." That's easy....Gregg Holifield at Sikeston. Took over a program with three straight losing seasons and a very average basketball history. I'd say they are a big winner now. All-time winningest coach at Sikeston. At the basketball academies in St. Louis such as Chaminade, CBC, Vashon, you don't turn the program around. You recruit better players.

Another coach that took over struggling programs and turned them into big winners is Paul Hale. He did so at Delta, Bernie, Dexter, and Notre Dame. Each time he arrived he immediately made them all state contenders. Now he "only" won one state title, but it doesn't discount the fact of what he did at those schools by making them very relevant when they weren't before his arrival. And he did it without stud recruits. He did it without star "move-ins." He did it by coaching up the players he had. But because he didn't win a boatload of state titles, does that mean he isn't as good a coach as some of these that have had future NBA players on their roster?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT