ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Braves and Cardinals

Toots_mcgee

Nov 10, 2020
Atlanta was ravaged with injuries this summer and struggling. They still dont
have their best player.

Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos acquired Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario, Adam Duvall, and Jorge Soler at this year's deadline.

This is what he gave up:
• Pablo Sandoval (.178 BA)
• Kasey Kalich (Single-A)
• Bryce Ball (Single-A)
• Alex Jackson (career .132 hitter)

Winning.

Uhhhhh....dude...Mo got Lester and Happ. (your sarcasm meter should be pegging)

To say the Braves are drastically better than the Cards is silly. The Cards won more games than the Braves in a tougher division. They were one little hit from advancing and if not for a bad managerial decision might have anyway. They're in process of fixing that issue. The Braves are hot at the right time. That's how playoffs work. The Dodgers and Giants both were nearly 20 games better than the Braves over the whole season. Unfortunately for both they cooled off. That's what makes the playoffs fun. The best team doesn't always win.

And what do those three teams have in common? At the trade deadline they went all in to win. The Braves won without their best hitter. How would STL have done without Goldy? Come on man. Some teams have balls.

Where would they been if they hadn't got Lester and Happ? Who on that staff would have won the games they did?
That’s a results oriented thought. Hell, Mo even said when he got them it was to eat innings so the young guys (Oviedo and Woodford) didn’t end up throwing too many innings. They ended up working out. But let’s not pretend he went out and acquired what he thought were two pitchers that would carry the team to the playoffs.

That’s a results oriented thought. Hell, Mo even said when he got them it was to eat innings so the young guys (Oviedo and Woodford) didn’t end up throwing too many innings. They ended up working out. But let’s not pretend he went out and acquired what he thought were two pitchers that would carry the team to the playoffs.
Oviedo threw way to many innings when they let pay in the bigs, the dude just can't find the player. Woodford appears to be a keeper. Never mind all that, who would have given them the innings that turned into wins if they weren't on board?

In 2022, when the Cardinals hitters are closer to the team we saw for five months than the team we saw for three weeks in 2021, you are going to wish we had a more aggressive front office.

Reactions: HomeyR
In 2022, when the Cardinals hitters are closer to the team we saw for five months than the team we saw for three weeks in 2021, you are going to wish we had a more aggressive front office.
Who would you take out of the starting lineup they had when injuries allowed them to have who they wanted out there. If you're talking pitchers you'll be able to say that from now on. What St.Louis owner or GM has ever decided they needed to spend the big bucks for pitching that a lot of teams do?

Who would you take out of the starting lineup they had when injuries allowed them to have who they wanted out there. If you're talking pitchers you'll be able to say that from now on. What St.Louis owner or GM has ever decided they needed to spend the big bucks for pitching that a lot of teams do?
They need a SS. They need a lefty bat that can play OF. There, that’s 1/4 of the lineup that needs help. And I’d say if your relying on Bader and ONeill to be decent for much of the season, you’re probably wrong. The lineup, as it currently stands, isn’t good. I’d say it’s barely league average.

They need a SS. They need a lefty bat that can play OF. There, that’s 1/4 of the lineup that needs help. And I’d say if your relying on Bader and ONeill to be decent for much of the season, you’re probably wrong. The lineup, as it currently stands, isn’t good. I’d say it’s barely league average.
They have a SS if they'll let him play. Give Noot a shot or pay the price for a free agent RF. I see no reason to think Oneill won't be good at the plate and in the field. You can go pay for a high dollar CF but he won't play defense or run like Bader.

They have a SS if they'll let him play. Give Noot a shot or pay the price for a free agent RF. I see no reason to think Oneill won't be good at the plate and in the field. You can go pay for a high dollar CF but he won't play defense or run like Bader.
See, this is what I don't get. They don't have a SS. They have a guy that's probably a .240/.280/.450 that plays SS. Or one that just came off of an offensive season that was bad enough to allow the other guy to get his playing time. They have serious offensive limitation at C, 2B, SS, and CF (probably). And a one-trick pony in LF. And nothing about Nootbar suggests he's anything more than a AAAA player. He's probably a lot closer to Lane Thomas than Randy Arazorena. It's hard to have half of your lineup below league average offensively and win games. It's basically the reason the offense sucked for all but about a 17 game stretch. Rolling the same lineup back out there is a recipe for disaster.

The 2021 Cardinals team OBP -- the .313 mark was the lowest since 1988

This is a bad offensive team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT