ADVERTISEMENT

Chain Gangs will be gone soon

a18607d46b80690024e06e7983fe0ee8.gif

Reactions: Arcola
Chain gangs, whatever, it's the "spotting" of the ball that is more concerning. Does it seem a little archaic to have 3 old guys run out there to determine whether it's a first down and possibly the outcome of a very important game? Sure, but spotting the ball based on where the knee touched, where the ball carrier went out of bounds, where the scrum was finally whistled dead, where the punt went out of bounds while still IN THE AIR; these are much more prone to individual judgement/error on a Friday night, in Petticoat Jct, where there will be no instant replay or view from the booth. Everything modernizes, I mean we finally cut the bottom out of the peach basket for crying out loud. But figure out how to spot the ball correctly, 100% of the time, and I'll be happy to see the chains go bye-bye.
Happy Friday, y'all!
P.S. While I'm ranting, get a shot clock rule established in MO before the '24 - '25 basketball season! Aarrgghh!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
Lot of good chain gang memories! Seeing a coach or two get tangled up in the chain, coaches on the road yelling at the guys to "pull it tight", clip in the wrong spot, etc. One of my favorites was on a 4th and inches, ref comes to the sideline to grab the clip to go out on the field, looks down and says "hey, where's the clip"? Chain gang guy, about 65, reaches in his back pocket and goes, "here you go". Coach about lost it.

Reactions: 86THS
Lot of good chain gang memories! Seeing a coach or two get tangled up in the chain, coaches on the road yelling at the guys to "pull it tight", clip in the wrong spot, etc. One of my favorites was on a 4th and inches, ref comes to the sideline to grab the clip to go out on the field, looks down and says "hey, where's the clip"? Chain gang guy, about 65, reaches in his back pocket and goes, "here you go". Coach about lost it.
Think about it: Put the clip on the chain link on the backside of the closest yard line. That's on the sideline. If it's an old school, grass field with painted yard lines, think the janitorial staff that marked off the field was absolutely straight when they sprayed the line?!? Crazy stuff.
My memory: New chain crew and first home game of the season: We laid out the chains for the crew to examine and we were mortified to see the chain was at least 6 inches shy of being 10 yds. The white hat didn't bat an eye and said, "Welp, it'll be short for both teams" and we rolled on.

Think about it: Put the clip on the chain link on the backside of the closest yard line. That's on the sideline. If it's an old school, grass field with painted yard lines, think the janitorial staff that marked off the field was absolutely straight when they sprayed the line?!? Crazy stuff.
My memory: New chain crew and first home game of the season: We laid out the chains for the crew to examine and we were mortified to see the chain was at least 6 inches shy of being 10 yds. The white hat didn't bat an eye and said, "Welp, it'll be short for both teams" and we rolled on.
Those old experienced refs had a certain amount of pragmatism that I always appreciated.

It has always been a huge flaw in the game. Ref comes running in from the sideline and pretty much randomly puts the ball where he thinks it should be then cavemen walk out on the field with a chain and some sticks as if they are making a precise measurement to the inch. It’s an archaic process. The best way to determine the quality of the chain gang members was whether they laughed at my jokes and sarcasm toward the zebras.

Last edited:
It has always been a huge flaw in the game. Ref comes running in from the sideline and pretty much randomly puts the ball where he thinks it should be then cavemen walk out on the field with a chain and some sticks as if they are making a precise measurement to the inch. It’s an archaic process. The best way to determine the quality of the chain gang members was whether they laughed at my jokes and sarcasm toward the zebras.
GIF-cry-dawson-feelings-hurt-sad-GIF.gif

Reactions: Arcola
Remember that contraption with one guy, that lasted a year or 2. Had a old man on a chain gang at a game in Houston. Close game going into half. He yells at me we're going to kick your ass, I go don't count your chickens old man. Second half we whip them. Old man comes by and I say how'd that feel. I like good chain crews.

Doubt if it were placed in the NFL (still unlikely to me), I don't think high scholl would ever implement it because too many schools would not have the funds to afford it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT