ADVERTISEMENT

Best Missouri QBs Coming out of High School in history?

quadzilla200

Feb 21, 2020
Skylar Thompson was extremely good and so was Drew Lock. You just kind of knew they were destined for big things. Who else in MO history do you guys remember thinking were of that caliber?

I'm putting this out there to see how it ages. I don't know if Rocco Marriott of Platte County just had a really good game against Fort's defense, which isn't easy to do, but I've not been as impressed with a high school QB as I was him. I can't pick apart anything of his game. He was 16-20 and two of those misses were flat out drops, maybe the other two were as well I can't remember. Very, very accurate and powerful on his throws and he's in motion a lot. He is very elusive running the ball as well, and fast. He definitely stood out much more than last year when I saw him in the playoffs. . He is every bit of 6'3 that he is listed at. On Twitter it says he is completing over 70% and no INTs. I'm not sure how he is just a 3 star. I really don't know what more you can do as a QB to be a 5 star AND he is a junior!

https://x.com/roccomarriott

Some of my favs that I’ve seen over the years…
Didn’t heavily follow any of these guys in college, but saw them play at some point when they were in HS

Adam Barmann(West Platte ‘03)went on to start for the Jayhawks on and off his Soph-Senior year. Even saw a decent amount of action as a true freshman there.

Adam Hinspeter(Centralia ‘04) probably statistically the best QB Missouri Southern has had in the last 20 years. His senior year was one of the last times the Lions had a winning record.
He threw for over 9,000 yards while at Southern

Eric Cziernewski (Montgomery County) was an absolute dude at CMSU(I know it’s called UCM now)

Last edited:
Robert Long (Macon High School 1978-1981) had a DII season to remember in 1985 for Fort Hays St. Three 400 yard passing games, four 300 yard passing games, 3398 yards on 458 attempts with 275 completions (both still school records). His name litters the career record books still. Plus, his stache is legendary.

snOzXOr.jpeg

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
Some others I saw when they played in HS

Drew Newhart(Cameron)- threw for over 10,000 yards at Missouri Western, probably the best QB they’ve had this millennium. Pretty cool that he grew up and played HS ball about 20 min from there.
(Don’t know how I mentioned Cziernewski and not this guy, the game I saw was MoCo vs Cameron in the dome LOL)

Paxton DeLaurent(Camdenton)- regardless of his stats, the guy was very good at moving around the pocket, not tucking and running it, but moving around the pressure and getting the throw made.
I believe he’s the starter at SEMO now but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 65TPT
Robert Long (Macon High School 1978-1981) had a DII season to remember in 1985 for Fort Hays St. Three 400 yard passing games, four 300 yard passing games, 3398 yards on 458 attempts with 275 completions (both still school records). His name litters the career record books still. Plus, his stache is legendary.

snOzXOr.jpeg
If we’re going into that era, Harold Noirfalise of Houston, MO.
Before my time, but I’ve heard stories about him. He’s still got quite a few entries in the Missouri Southern record books as well.

Jeff Handy out of Blue Springs and later Mizzou was very good in HS and put up huger numbers under Wayne Mcginess.

Josh Freeman from Grandview is another.

Reactions: Herman.Boone
And if we are mentioning Payne, who went on to a successful PGA career and Alan who had a tremendous minor league career, we might as well throw in Mark Smith who went on to play for Ark and KC, even if it wasn’t as a QB.

Reactions: mosofan
Some other names fro the past that come to mind.

Park Hill had a run of good qb's in the late 70's and 80s.
Jeff Kelso and Chris Erickson who played at Mizzou and Paul Watson who played at ksu.

Phil Johnson from Kickapoo played with at the same time Handy was at Mizzou.

Some others I saw when they played in HS

Drew Newhart(Cameron)- threw for over 10,000 yards at Missouri Western, probably the best QB they’ve had this millennium. Pretty cool that he grew up and played HS ball about 20 min from there.
(Don’t know how I mentioned Cziernewski and not this guy, the game I saw was MoCo vs Cameron in the dome LOL)

Paxton DeLaurent(Camdenton)- regardless of his stats, the guy was very good at moving around the pocket, not tucking and running it, but moving around the pressure and getting the throw made.
I believe he’s the starter at SEMO now but I could be wrong.
Yes, he is still the starter and I believe he was FCS player of the week last week maybe? Another Camdenton QB that was an all-american and held the record (might still, not sure) for most consecutive completions for a long time is good ol coach Jeff Shore

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
One QB that I remembered being impressed with was that one Webb City played against in that shootout vs MICDS. I think his name was Millitello or something and I heard he went on to play ivy league somewhere which I thought was funny since he came from the ivy league of Missouri high school.

Man the Hair kid has to rank up there with the best and top. He would have started for any team at any level. First to have 10,000 yards passing and 5,000 yards rushing. Played smaller schools, but his numbers against Lutheran North and Cardinal Ritter was just as amazing! IMO is right up there with the best. Starting now at Truman State

Reactions: trumanbulldog42
I'm not sure how he is just a 3 star. I really don't know what more you can do as a QB to be a 5 star AND he is a junior!

There is probably a lack of clear understanding of what it actually means to be a Five Star.

The two athletes you mention — Skylar Thompson and Drew Lock — were not five star prospects.

In fact, the only Five Star QB out of Missouri in recent times was Blaine Gabbert, who was a Five Star by Rivals and a Four Star by ESPN (prior to 247). In high school., he only played in four games as a senior and didn't really put up big numbers as a soph/junior at Parkway West. He was the MVP at Elite11 where he beat out Andrew Luck for the honors. He committed early to Nebraska before flipping to Mizzou.

For context just so we’re clear about what we’re talking about here: there is currently one (1) five star QB in the entire country in the 2026 class according to 247. That QB is already committed to Tennessee and had an Alabama offer along with countless others.

There are only 16 four star QBs in the 2026 class. rankings on 247. Ten of them are already committed to schools like Texas, Michigan, Oregon, etc. The six uncommitted QBs are all choosing between multiple big offers.

So to answer the question: what does he have to do to be a five star? He has to get offers from relevant programs. The stars are a product of an athlete's standing as a prospect — which specifically means offers. I think there is an assumption among many that it works the other way around. The websites like 247, On3, Rivals that are most widely known for assigning stars don’t give out many five stars and aren't giving them to kids who don’t already have a long offer sheet from relevant programs. Most kids don't even get listed on those sites until they start reporting offers.

Last I knew the PC QBs offers were Kent State and UNLV — two programs that have recently become known for flooding the market with offers. Sometimes they are in earlier than others on elite kids and pull the trigger earlier mostly as a marketing tool and a way to build relationships with people that might have another kid they can get. But .sometimes they are just identifying future FCS or D2 kids. They currently have more than 400 offers reported to kids in the 2026 class alone.

Kent State might actually be worse but it is a little harder to get good data on them.

I'd say having three stars with just those two offers is probably better than most. If he gets bigger offers he'll probably move up quickly.

Last edited:
Skylar Thompson was extremely good and so was Drew Lock. You just kind of knew they were destined for big things. Who else in MO history do you guys remember thinking were of that caliber?

I'm putting this out there to see how it ages. I don't know if Rocco Marriott of Platte County just had a really good game against Fort's defense, which isn't easy to do, but I've not been as impressed with a high school QB as I was him. I can't pick apart anything of his game. He was 16-20 and two of those misses were flat out drops, maybe the other two were as well I can't remember. Very, very accurate and powerful on his throws and he's in motion a lot. He is very elusive running the ball as well, and fast. He definitely stood out much more than last year when I saw him in the playoffs. . He is every bit of 6'3 that he is listed at. On Twitter it says he is completing over 70% and no INTs. I'm not sure how he is just a 3 star. I really don't know what more you can do as a QB to be a 5 star AND he is a junior!

Likely Vegas bound. UNLV is quietly on an upward trajectory, too. Cannot wait to see Rocco this fall. His accuracy was an issue at times last year but wow he was a SOPH. Agree everything is there for that kid..........

Likely Vegas bound. UNLV is quietly on an upward trajectory, too. Cannot wait to see Rocco this fall. His accuracy was an issue at times last year but wow he was a SOPH. Agree everything is there for that kid..........
UNLV is built for the NIL age.
They will be in the playoffs in short order. I think they are legally attached to Nevada that no one wants. I think that is the only reason that they haven't been scooped up by one of the power conferences. 2 million local residents plus all the fans that would travel in seems like a no brainer for any conference.

Reactions: thetophat2021
They currently have more than 400 offers reported to kids in the 2026 class alone.
What are these "offers" that so many kids post?
When these kids post "I got an offer from ______" it doesn't mean "I got a scholarship offer from ______?" Are some of them preferred walk on offers even?
I always wondered what happens if said school has a really good year and all of a sudden many of those kids would choose them, is the "offer" still there for a scholarship?

He went on to play basketball but Tomas Brock for Mount Vernon 03-06, was some of the most fun I’ve ever had watching a qb play! My frosh year against Monett he broke something crazy like 10tackles then went 70yds to the house, think he had 6 total tds against us!

Reactions: MoSooner69
His career at Mizzou and in the league was underwhelming, but Blaine Gabbert was a 5 star coming out of Parkway West.

@mowesten posted this before reading your post all the way through, good insight.

What was the name of the Ste Gen QB that played for SIU and then had a cup of coffee in the NFL? Think maybe he was backup at San Fran???

UNLV is built for the NIL age.
They will be in the playoffs in short order. I think they are legally attached to Nevada that no one wants. I think that is the only reason that they haven't been scooped up by one of the power conferences. 2 million local residents plus all the fans that would travel in seems like a no brainer for any conference.
Pacific (fill in the number) Conference would be a very cozy home for the Runnin' Rebs.

Corby Jones - Hickman HS. Early-Mid 90's

He was a force in HS, especially as a runner. Physically imposing and played against the top competition in the state. Went on and got Mizzou out of the doldrums they suffered for over a decade. Had a nice career at Mizzou. Wasn't a prolific passer. But back then is ground and pound.

Nate Minnis - Blue Springs Early 90's. He was just diferent in HS. and had Leroy Pruitt to throw too. They were lethal.

Probably not up there with the best in history but put up some video game numbers during my time playing was Jordan Webb from Union.

Ransburg was also an absolute beast on the field.

I was a ball boy (on the Grandview sidelines) when Smith-Cotton played Grandview in the playoffs in the early 2000s and Freeman was huge and had a cannon. Also was throwing to some good athletes. Didn’t matter much that year since the winner had to play one of the best teams in Missouri history in 03 Kearney.

Probably not up there with the best in history but put up some video game numbers during my time playing was Jordan Webb from Union.

Ransburg was also an absolute beast on the field.

I was a ball boy (on the Grandview sidelines) when Smith-Cotton played Grandview in the playoffs in the early 2000s and Freeman was huge and had a cannon. Also was throwing to some good athletes. Didn’t matter much that year since the winner had to play one of the best teams in Missouri history in 03 Kearney.
elton john tribute GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

What was the name of the Ste Gen QB that played for SIU and then had a cup of coffee in the NFL? Think maybe he was backup at San Fran???
Kory Faulkner was the QB at Ste. Gen. Jeremey Hoog played for Valle and went on to Missouri State and last I heard held many of the QB records there.

If we’re going into that era, Harold Noirfalise of Houston, MO.
Before my time, but I’ve heard stories about him. He’s still got quite a few entries in the Missouri Southern record books as well.
Didn't realize he was a QB in high school. He was a RB at MOSO and does still hold some school records. He is also in the MOSO Hall of Fame. I remember watching him play at MOSO in the mid-80's.

Didn't realize he was a QB in high school. He was a RB at MOSO and does still hold some school records. He is also in the MOSO Hall of Fame. I remember watching him play at MOSO in the mid-80's.
I don’t think he was a QB at Houston, but after reading Cards post I just instantly thought of Noirfalise for some reason lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT