ADVERTISEMENT

Aurora Versus Monett one of the oldest games played

bullitpdq68

Sep 22, 2005
Home of the Cubs!!
This week the Cubbies travel to Aurora to take on the Dawgs of Aurora. Found this artical from the Monett times talking about how this game use to be played on Thanksgiving day. For us old timers this was and still is the game you have to beat Aurora.

http://www.monett-times.com/story/2141593.html

Usually, families on Thanksgiving assemble around a feast, then meander in front of the television and watch an afternoon chocked full of football.

In the words of the late comedian Tim Wilson, "Even those family members that have never watched football are 
coaches that day."

Monett's co-captions in the 1949 were Delmar Fritz, left, and Jack Fox. Contributed photo
[Click to enlarge]
However, for some Monett residents, the annual holiday brings back a flood of memories of a local tradition when Monett and Aurora met on the gridiron every Thanksgiving Day.

"It was the biggest game of the year and against our biggest rival," said Jack Fox, who played from 1946 to 1950 for Monett. "You could be winless on the season, but if you beat Aurora, it was a successful year."

According to The Monett Times records the Cubs and Houn' Dawgs have played football against each other since 1911. The Times has consecutive game reports dating back to 1924.

"The crowds were huge, everything you expect at a big game," Gene Spivy, who played on the 1944 Monett team. "The stands were full, and people would be lined around the field three and four people deep."

Headlines in the paper estimated the crowds in excess of 3,000 to 5,000 according to Fox.

"They were huge, loud and raucous," Fox said. "It rivaled anything I saw at Missouri in college."

Monett and Aurora were bitter rivals and the games were usually played at 2 p.m.

"Playing a daytime game was a special thing," Fox said. "The only games played during the day were college games. It was something special."

Kenley Richardson, who played for the Cubs from 1927 to 1931, was tabbed as Monett's head coach in 1944, which added more fuel to the fire.

Under Richardson, the Cubs were dominate against the Houn' Dawgs, acquiring an 11-0-1 record. He also led the Cubs to three undefeated seasons in 1944, 1946 and 1950.

"Aurora couldn't beat us, so they would come over and write ugly things on our field and sidewalks," said Vern Caldwell, Monett end from 1948 to 1951. "That was okay, we'd just go and beat them up on the field."

By all accounts the games we always physical.

"A few of my buddies and I would jump in the car and drive up to Monett for the game," said Bob Mitchell, who played for Cassville in 1946. "It was the biggest entrainment event in the area. You'd see half of Cassville there watching the game. I remember them always being hard-hitting."

According to Caldwell, Richardson was a master motivator.

"He would hang signs in the locker room calling you out," Caldwell said. "It might read, 'Vern do you think you can beat so-and-so or who ever we were playing, or, how are you going to stop their running back?' He knew how to push the right buttons to fire you up."

Richardson's best-known Thanksgiving game motivation trick came in 1953, which was also the last year the game was played on the holiday.

The Big 9 Conference had voted to end the holiday schedule to allow teachers to return home or attend games at their alma maters.

Aurora came into the game with a perfect 8-0 record and would secure the crown outright with a win. Monett had struggled to a 2-5-1 record, and injuries had depleted their ranks even further.

According to Caldwell and a story in the Times, Richardson dug out old jerseys that had been in storage.

Richardson told his team that they had been worn by the "champions of Monett," and the "Cubs had never lost to Aurora while wearing them."

But, Richardson's mastery of motivation did not end there.

Bill Burton, who had injured his back in practice earlier in the week, was brought to the game on an ambulance stretcher and watched the game from the Cubs' sidelines.

Richardson asked his players if they planned to let Bill down.

The psychology used by Richardson culminated in a 12-0 Monett win.

Fox recalled an event in 1950 about Monett running back Jim Ellis that still brings him a chuckle.

"Jim was the only kid on our team with a car," Fox said. "His parents were well-to-do, and he was a good looking fella," Fox said. "He used to drive over to Aurora and squire their girls around.

"That made the Aurora players mad, that a Monett kids was dating their girls."

In the trophy case at Monett High School are the reminders of the legacy of Kenley Richardson. Including two trophies to recognized conference championships, and the 1949 Marble Bowl trophy. Richardson is pictured on the left. Jared Lankford/sports@monett-times.com

The 1950 game got out of hand quickly as the Cubs rolled to a 46-0 lead. In the fourth quarter, one of the Aurora captains made a plea to Fox.

"One of their linemen got my attention and said 'Jack, were beat. We know it and you know it,'" Fox said. "He then asked for one favor. They wanted to get one good lick on Ellis for dating their girls.

"I thought about it and asked him, 'where do you want him.'"

On the next play, he gave the ball to Ellis.

According to Fox, all 11 players from Aurora were in on tackle of Ellis and it took the officials some time to unstack the dog pile.

Even thought it has been 63 years since the game has been played on Thanksgiving Day the rivalry and memories are still fresh on the players minds.

"I still want them to lose," Spivy said. "Every time we play them, I think back to those games."

Fox agreed.

"Cassville may be these kids rivals, but it will always be Aurora for me," he said.

Awesome read Bullitt. I watched Aurora throttle Monett in 77. The Cubs, of course went on to win State that year.

Thanks for the stuff Bullit. You know I love the old stuff. That is without a doubt one of the longest running games in Missouri. Our longest is Willow Springs. Been playing them since 1925 and have played each other 113 times (played twice a season for a while.)

And of course you knew I would have to say something about MG LOL. In Monett's 1944 undefeated season, I assume you meant in conference play or the regular season. Mountain Grove defeated them in the Ozark Bowl that year 26-21 after tying with them in 1943. Thats also when Mountain Grove was on their run of 5 straight Ozark Bowl titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arcola
I know Chillicothe - Trenton used to be a Thanksgiving day game. I'd like to hear other old rivalries that were played on Thanksgiving day, in the days before Television.

Thanks for the stuff Bullit. You know I love the old stuff. That is without a doubt one of the longest running games in Missouri. Our longest is Willow Springs. Been playing them since 1925 and have played each other 113 times (played twice a season for a while.)

And of course you knew I would have to say something about MG LOL. In Monett's 1944 undefeated season, I assume you meant in conference play or the regular season. Mountain Grove defeated them in the Ozark Bowl that year 26-21 after tying with them in 1943. Thats also when Mountain Grove was on their run of 5 straight Ozark Bowl titles.
I knew you would have to mention your Panthers LOL. Jared Lankford at the Monett times wrote the article, but I assume he meant regular season. His email is in the artical.

I find myself reading a lot of what Lankford writes.
As far as small school football coverage goes, he seems to be all over Monett's football team coverage.
His twitter feed is sometimes too much, but that could be said of a lot of pundits.
Good Story

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT