ADVERTISEMENT

Archie

trumanbulldog42

Sep 26, 2019
I haven't followed 8-man for very long, but Archie has to be one of the most dominant teams in recent memory. Their defense is especially impressive for 8-man. Any thoughts or insight on this team or maybe some recent teams that have been this dominant?

icegif-1440.gif

I haven't followed 8-man for very long, but Archie has to be one of the most dominant teams in recent memory. Their defense is especially impressive for 8-man. Any thoughts or insight on this team or maybe some recent teams that have been this dominant?
I would love to see them play that Haxtun Colorado team that paid a visit to St. Paul Lutheran this past regular season.

Reactions: Mo8ManFootball

East Atchison(Tarkio) hasn’t been as dominant as some of the other 8-man teams have recently but one thing I’ve been impressed with is their defense on the run that they had.

2022: allowed 16ppg (9-2 record)
2021: allowed 16ppg (10-2 record)(during this season they allowed 10ppg on average up until their final game of the season)
2020: allowed 15ppg (7-3 record)
2019: allowed 20ppg (10-1 record)

From 2019-22 their defense allowed an average of 17ppg over the course of 4 seasons.

Keep in mind, this is 8-man football, so that’s a very low average, especially over that many seasons.

East Atchison(Tarkio) hasn’t been as dominant as some of the other 8-man teams have recently but one thing I’ve been impressed with is their defense on the run that they had.

2022: allowed 16ppg (9-2 record)
2021: allowed 16ppg (10-2 record)(during this season they allowed 10ppg on average up until their final game of the season)
2020: allowed 15ppg (7-3 record)
2019: allowed 20ppg (10-1 record)

From 2019-22 their defense allowed an average of 17ppg over the course of 4 seasons.

Keep in mind, this is 8-man football, so that’s a very low average, especially over that many seasons.
Is that more you think from the Fairfax kids or the Tarkio kids?

Best defense by ppg since 2008 Mound City. That MC team allowed 40 total points in 13 games.
Archie is currently averaging a score of 72.2 to 5.3.

So if your fishing, Archie hasn't been 8 man all that long. Usually an 8 man school is good for a couple years then talent is gone and it's a while till they are good. There are a couple traditional powers but they usually have a down year

Is that more you think from the Fairfax kids or the Tarkio kids?

Starters are pretty even between Tarkio and Fairfax this year. It hasn’t been extreme in one direction or the other recently.

I believe on average over the last 5-6 years about 70% of the roster comes from Tarkio. I can’t speak for the starters, but I do know that Fairfax’s enrollment is dwindling.

I believe their 9-12 enrollment is sitting between 40-45 kids. And if trends have stayed true, about 65% of their students are female. So they have somewhere around 15-16 boys in the whole school and I don’t think even half of them play football.

I believe on average over the last 5-6 years about 70% of the roster comes from Tarkio. I can’t speak for the starters, but I do know that Fairfax’s enrollment is dwindling.

I believe their 9-12 enrollment is sitting between 40-45 kids. And if trends have stayed true, about 65% of their students are female. So they have somewhere around 15-16 boys in the whole school and I don’t think even half of them play football.
Starters from Tarkio: QB, RB/LB, WR/S, DB, OL, OL, RB, DL
Starters from Fairfax: E/DE, E/DE, OL/DL, and FB/LB.

So slightly more from Tarkio but the 4 guys from Fairfax were two-way starters and 3 were seniors.

I also heard that a couple of Tarkios kids were suspended for we’ll say “disciplinary issues” for half the season and didn’t come back until the end. Don’t know how true that is, but yeah.

Before 8 man was established, the Platte Valley league was a 6-man league. Union Star, Stewartsville, Osborn, South Nodaway, North Andrew, Fillmore Easton, Pattonsburg among others.
yeah they had two in the Kansas city area in 1948 They Highway 275 and the Platte Valley conference. Below is what I found in some newspapers who referenced the towns below.

Highway 275 was Forest City, Craig, Oregon, Westboro, Horace Mann Cubs of Maryville.

Platte Valley was Edgerton, Rosendale, Pickett High of St. Joseph, Orrick High.

Down this way in 1940's there was the Pioneer Six-man league. it had Wheaton, Miller, Walnut Grove, Marionville, Branson, Billings, Verona and Crane.

Orrick was playing 11 man back in the 30s with Norborne, Hardin, Henrietta and Buckner (on the same train tracks as the others) in a Missouri River Conference. But I see they did drop down. The Central River Conference started a few years after that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT