ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Spencer former Monett Head football coach and Webb City stand out.

bullitpdq68

Sep 22, 2005
Home of the Cubs!!
https://www.monett-times.com/story/2632644.html

Former Monett coach, athletic director to be honored

Alan Spencer, former Monett coach and athletic director, will be recognized as part of the 2019 Missouri Elite 11 which honors former high school and college standouts, as well as those who have made positive contributions to the game of football in the Show-Me State.

Spencer is a member of the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame’s Board of Trustees. He graduated from Webb City in 1969 after earning all-conference in football and winning a state long jump championship.

At Pittsburg State, he was a four-sport athlete and a three-sport letterman in football, basketball and track. In 1972, he was an NAIA football All-American and finished his career as Pitt State’s all-time leading receiver with 1,241 yards on 62 catches.

Spencer was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the 12th round but was waived after rookie camp. A year later, he played three games for the Detroit Lions. He then coached from 1975 to 2010, including in assistant roles at Neosho, Wake Forest University and for Rogers (Ark.). He later was Monett’s athletic director and head coach for nine years. Spencer also served as the head coach at Nevada, Central and Parkview high schools.

In 2010, he was inducted into the Missouri Football

Coaches Association and Pitt State Halls of Fame. Webb City retired his No. 40 jersey.

Spencer recently retired after serving as Purdy High School’s athletic director.

https://www.monett-times.com/story/2632644.html

Former Monett coach, athletic director to be honored

Alan Spencer, former Monett coach and athletic director, will be recognized as part of the 2019 Missouri Elite 11 which honors former high school and college standouts, as well as those who have made positive contributions to the game of football in the Show-Me State.

Spencer is a member of the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame’s Board of Trustees. He graduated from Webb City in 1969 after earning all-conference in football and winning a state long jump championship.

At Pittsburg State, he was a four-sport athlete and a three-sport letterman in football, basketball and track. In 1972, he was an NAIA football All-American and finished his career as Pitt State’s all-time leading receiver with 1,241 yards on 62 catches.

Spencer was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the 12th round but was waived after rookie camp. A year later, he played three games for the Detroit Lions. He then coached from 1975 to 2010, including in assistant roles at Neosho, Wake Forest University and for Rogers (Ark.). He later was Monett’s athletic director and head coach for nine years. Spencer also served as the head coach at Nevada, Central and Parkview high schools.

In 2010, he was inducted into the Missouri Football

Coaches Association and Pitt State Halls of Fame. Webb City retired his No. 40 jersey.

Spencer recently retired after serving as Purdy High School’s athletic director.
And an all around great person

Sorry, this is the only handle I remember my password for, not trying to take over thread.Doc guys, lets show some respect to a very deserving man.

Coach Spencer got the Monett job my first year of coaching. Was always a class act and nothing but classy to a young guy trying to keep his head above water. A couple years ago he caught me at a track meet and told me he was happy for recent events. One of those things I will always remember, meant a lot to me. Great man.

Sorry, this is the only handle I remember my password for, not trying to take over thread.Doc guys, lets show some respect to a very deserving man.

Coach Spencer got the Monett job my first year of coaching. Was always a class act and nothing but classy to a young guy trying to keep his head above water. A couple years ago he caught me at a track meet and told me he was happy for recent events. One of those things I will always remember, meant a lot to me. Great man.
So THATS where you coached before Ampipe! Mystery has been solved. This Coach Spencer sounds like a real class act. Glad you got to work with him Coach! His recognition is much deserved.

So THATS where you coached before Ampipe! Mystery has been solved. This Coach Spencer sounds like a real class act. Glad you got to work with him Coach! His recognition is much deserved.
He is an old Geezer,,,,played for Webb back when they would race midgets (race cars not small people) on the track on Saturday nights.

Alan is a great guy I was lucky to grow up having him as a role model. His parents and mine was great friends plus his nephew is my son in-law who also is a great guy. Alan deserves all the recognition he gets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT