ADVERTISEMENT

BPcompete

Nov 20, 2018
Saint Louis, USA
Now that we have Class 6 shocking, fluke-like result, to go along with the malarkey in the other classes (Lutheran North, Webb etc etc) I think we can go ahead and park a big North Star sized Asterisk next to the 2020 season.

Teams with 2 and 3 game schedules after missing 5-8 weeks of game and practice time arent going to be ready for playoff football it just is what it is.

Congrats to Raymore and the other future State Champs but we all know this BS doesnt count.

See ya Next Fall

Now that we have Class 6 shocking, fluke-like result, to go along with the malarkey in the other classes (Lutheran North, Webb etc etc) I think we can go ahead and park a big North Star sized Asterisk next to the 2020 season.

Teams with 2 and 3 game schedules after missing 5-8 weeks of game and practice time arent going to be ready for playoff football it just is what it is.

Congrats to Raymore and the other future State Champs but we all know this BS doesnt count.

See ya Next Fall
Man... the grapes are sour ! 😙

No asterisks involved in any class unless you are a team that had to forfeit.
Odessa was the heartbreaker in this area. Imagine them vs. Blair Oaks next week. Not trying to hurt anyone associated with them by the way................

Reactions: shoot90draw

See ya Next Fall
It absolutely does count... if you learned anything from your high school football playing days...you should have learned that overcoming adversity is one of football's greatest life lessons.

A good team getting derailed by Covid.is no different than a team that gets derailed by a poor call by an official or a fluke bounce of the ball.

Congratulations to whatever teams are left standing at the end of this crazy year!

Last edited:
Why did teams have to forfeit? It still kills me as a fan of Odessa that they couldn't put a rag tag group out of their entire freshman and JV rosters out there against Summit Christian and have the rest back for Maryville. I kept hearing how certain teams had lineman out or running backs, but still could play. Anytime it said "the school in conjuction with _______ County Health Dept" you knew it was the county health department.
Ravens players test positive for Covid on Thanksgiving and get to play on Tuesday? Is it the lack of testing kits available?
Not trying to start something political, just confused on the lack of consistency.

It absolutely does count... if you want anything from your high school football playing days you should have learned that overcoming adversity is one of football's greatest life lessons. A good team getting derailed by kovich is no different than a team that gets derailed by a poor call by an official or a fluke bounce of the ball. Congratulations to whatever teams are left standing at the end of this crazy year!
I couldn't agree more...

Was thinking specificly of them and St Marys. Those teams might have a point that they didn't lose but those that won avoided the covid issue and cleared many other hurdles in front of every team. The winners earned a lot more than someone throwing an asterisk at them.
Thanks forgot about St. Mary's. ABSOLUTELY would have been a serious contender.

Reactions: BPcompete
I don’t agree with you often, but as a former service member myself, I agree.
don’t get used to it. 😂😂
It’s just that my inference from Arcola’s comment was that winning a 2020 championship will really be meaningless... you know, because WC can no longer win it.

Do not want to be a Debby Downer but if a team like Blair Oaks can come in and beat Cardinal Ritter and Lutheran North back to back then in all honesty they earned their spot. I understand St. Mary's and Odessa lost their opportunity due to the darn bug and there is honestly nothing you could of done about that. Same thing could of happened to Blair Oaks or Maryville and we would have completely different competitors playing next week. It is what it is.

See ya Next Fall
Cry some more. Why would you opt to play knowing you would only get 2-3 games in before playoffs. Coulda opted to play in spring. Everyone went through stuff. The fact that teams that didn’t start playing until so late when other team who did start in time has to deal with kids being quarantined injuries and having different lineups every Friday night. But I’m sure if one of the teams that started so late won a state title you wouldn’t say there should be a asterisk?! Gimmie a break!

Cry some more. Why would you opt to play knowing you would only get 2-3 games in before playoffs. Coulda opted to play in spring. Everyone went through stuff. The fact that teams that didn’t start playing until so late when other team who did start in time has to deal with kids being quarantined injuries and having different lineups every Friday night. But I’m sure if one of the teams that started so late won a state title you wouldn’t say there should be a asterisk?! Gimmie a break!

Eh no I wouldnt. When it isnt FAIR and EQUAL across the state then you have to say its an Asterisk. Its talent all over the state, if all the teams dont have the same basic opportunities, games, practice time, its not fair. Not crying though my team won it all last year and will be back stronger next year.

The teams with a trophy this year are not going to go have an asterisk engraved on it.

I am sympathetic to Odessa but otherwise if you played and lost it is what it is.

Reactions: Stryk3
Eh no I wouldnt. When it isnt FAIR and EQUAL across the state then you have to say its an Asterisk. Its talent all over the state, if all the teams dont have the same basic opportunities, games, practice time, its not fair. Not crying though my team won it all last year and will be back stronger next year.
I disagree. You could always say something every year about fair and equal. Private vs. public, ability to recruit, turf vs. natural grass. On and on and on. The fact teams were able to compete during this time of Covid makes it almost even more challenging to win a state title. Your defense just makes no sense about fair and equal. Nothing is fair and equal in this world...there is just opportunity and circumstance. Teams that had a opportunity to play did to the best of their ability. Circumstances of dealing with Covid whether it be quarantining, canceling, later start, or whatever else. Bottom line the teams that are moving on are the BEST teams left...period!

When my kids said that something wasn’t fair, I always told them life’s not fair; grow up and join the human race.

The all time example of irony, complaining that a school like LN didn’t have fair and equal opportunities. You know, like being bound to only having players that live in a certain district.

What was the fluke about DeSmet getting beat by 23 points? Read the article in the post, excuses abound. They may not have practiced or started as early, but they couldn’t condition and run? Football is the ultimate sport teaching you accountability, dealing with adversity, tip your cap to your opponent.

Last edited:

See ya Next Fall

You mean if your starting linemen get pulled ef

See ya Next Fall
Yes...big *

Great job trying to minimizing the hard work of a bunch of teenagers for your own personal satisfaction. Every state champion will have beaten every opponent they faced in the playoffs. That is an accomplishment and something to be proud of regardless the opinion of a bunch of people on the internet trying to live vicariously through their kids or chosen school. Your team couldn’t pull it out this year, move on with your life.

Great job trying to minimizing the hard work of a bunch of teenagers for your own personal satisfaction. Every state champion will have beaten every opponent they faced in the playoffs. That is an accomplishment and something to be proud of regardless the opinion of a bunch of people on the internet trying to live vicariously through their kids or chosen school. Your team couldn’t pull it out this year, move on with your life.
Hear, hear!

Reactions: RoadrunnerNM
I would argue this year means more. Kids had to buy in more, avoid social interactions and take extra steps. It’s a shame some schools got cancelled and it definitely sucks that Sam page f’d up all the county schools and practices, but at the end of the day, I think the best teams are playing right now.

I would argue this year means more. Kids had to buy in more, avoid social interactions and take extra steps. It’s a shame some schools got cancelled and it definitely sucks that Sam page f’d up all the county schools and practices, but at the end of the day, I think the best teams are playing right now.
This, right here, times a bunch. Can’t imagine the grind of the athletes. And the frustration and perseverance, equally, brought about by a bureaucrat and senseless decisions. Good on the kids for powering through.

Hot Take, Blair Oaks should have to use success factor because their name sounds like a private school.
I legitimately thought they were until about 20 yrs ago. No kidding. Not until I started coaching did I realize it. Then began the whole...why are they Blair Oaks if the “town” is Wardell? My inner dialogue is exhausting most days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT