ADVERTISEMENT

Republic's 4th Semi-Final

77repo89

Sep 13, 2001
And I will have been attendance at all of them!

1982 v Maryville
I was in 6th grade and my mother took me to the game. Stood with a capacity crowd on the old cinder track. Heartbreaking loss, I don't rmemeber the score but pretty sure was a one score game. I remember the heart break of the player and them just standing/kneeling and crying their hearts out. Ned Rynolds on the 6 o'clock news "When Maryville came to town everyone wondered what a Spoofhound was; when they left, no one cared."

1985 v Pembrook Hill
My freshman year, was Republic was small but not small enough for freshmen to dress out for varsity. Opening kickoff and Pembrook Hill muffs the kick, this looks good, but then the returner picked it up and ran for a TD. I think Republic lost that one by two scores or so.

1986 at Oak Grove
My sophomore year, got about 4 or 5 starts thoughout the season, but made some sophomore mistakes and was not playing much but mop up time by the semi-final. I think we lost by three scores. I do remember this as a microcosim of that game. Oak Grove punts, not a very good punt, but it hits one of our blockers and Oak Grove recovers.

For these three games Republic was 3A, the town was approx. 6,000 people, and had one stop light at the time. Don't believe we even had the Wal-Mart or McDonalds yet, I'm thinking 87ish for both.

Now Republic is Class 5, it has outgrown it's little bedroom community and is a full fledged city with all the amenities. Still have a few of the old names but a lot of new faces as expected when the town is now 20 - 25,000 population, and more houses being built.

My senior season Webb beat us 12 - 9 at Webb in the first round of the playoffs, my nephew is on this years team and I hope him and the ole alma mater can send Webb home and make the first state championship game!

Good luck to you and yours.
I'm gonna be pulling against ya though.
In my opinion Republic couldn't beat Grain Valley much less the healthy Webb they are facing today

You may be correct, but if they played the game on paper, the boys would put pencils in their socks. LOL

Hoping for a well played, close, and exiting game.

Reactions: da bears 25
You may be correct, but if they played the game on paper, the boys would put pencils in their socks. LOL

Hoping for a well played, close, and exiting game.
There ya go using my line against me. I will 100% use it next week when half this board wants to hand teams championships like they have all year.

Regardless of today's result. We need Ritter to fall next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT