ADVERTISEMENT

Carthage 60 Ozark 62 - Final

It seemed like there were 2 questionable calls at the end. Also the clock keeper ran the clock for 2 extra seconds when Ozark had the lead in the final 10 seconds.

This reads like whoever runs this account is not happy.

It seemed like there were 2 questionable calls at the end. Also the clock keeper ran the clock for 2 extra seconds when Ozark had the lead in the final 10 seconds.

There were a few 50/50 calls on block/charge that I thought went Carthage's way on the other end, but the clock error one was particularly egregious. I don't understand how you refuse to correct a timekeeping error and don't even add so much as a tenth of a second onto the game clock; that one's not even a judgment call.

The 2ish second run off is certainly a tough look for the table. The official who signaled they had the clock is also the one who called the foul (and thus was looking at the player # when the clock was running) so they didn't see it. I'm absolutely ok with officials not changing it if they're not sure, they shouldn't guess. Both teams score after it happened. Honestly the bigger story might be Ray going 2-4 from the line before intentionally missing that last FT. He shoots them at about 87% and literally iced the game against CJ the night before.

I was impressed that CJ was that competitive with Carthage.

As a spectator, this game was completely absurd. Ozark had multiple calls go their way down the stretch that included a missed foul, block/charge call, illegal screen, and clock malfunction. Not to mention their HC chirping at the Carthage kids after they hit a buzzer beater to end the 1st half. Parents after the game mentioned that another Ozark assistant during the hand shake line caused ruckus by chirping at players/coaches in the line. This all comes after their JV coach got relieved of his duties for talking negatively about his own players that created an altercation with a player and coach! Doesn't sound like much good things are going on in Ozark at the moment...

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
As a spectator, this game was completely absurd. Ozark had multiple calls go their way down the stretch that included a missed foul, block/charge call, illegal screen, and clock malfunction. Not to mention their HC chirping at the Carthage kids after they hit a buzzer beater to end the 1st half. Parents after the game mentioned that another Ozark assistant during the hand shake line caused ruckus by chirping at players/coaches in the line. This all comes after their JV coach got relieved of his duties for talking negatively about his own players that created an altercation with a player and coach! Doesn't sound like much good things are going on in Ozark at the moment...
The coaching immaturity is a real issue at all levels and at more schools than it should be.

Block/charge is tough.. under a minute it looks like 3 wasn't trying to score, as much as he was trying to get fouled and the kid who blocked him got the ball. Having watched it full speed a couple times, I probably blow the whistle, but it's not a BAD non-call.
Illegal screen - the word is out, Carthage sets between 7 and 10 illegal screens a game (there were several called Tuesday as well) and the screen WAS illegal
Clock malfunction - again I would say that is absolutely on the table. Not good for either team, and if the officials aren't certain they shouldn't change the clock.

If any coach is talking trash to an opposing player and/or having physical altercations with players, unless self defense, that is wrong. With that being said what are all the details about the JV coach being fired. I think you need to know both sides of the story on that one. The parents of the player(s) are usually the ones more nuts than the coaches.

Live in Springfield and have connections to some Carthage folks and tune into their games........

The bigger story would be a break away lay up with 30 seconds left with a 1pt lead for Carthage, the Ozark coach SCREAMING for them to foul, kid reaches out with 2 hands to foul on said lay-up...... the conclusion is a Jump Ball??!! You're wrong, that is a foul 100% of the time. He did not get the top of the ball BTW....

I also disagree, never have I seen a clock error like that NOT get adjusted by even 1 or 2 seconds. It was almost a full FOUR seconds. Fast forward, Carthage got the offensive rebound off Ray's FT but didn't' have that extra 2-3 seconds to get a shot off.

The word is out? Who are you talking to? I saw the coaches ask to watch 6'9 George and 6'4 Whatley WAY outside of their frame. 0 called on Ozark and 5 on Carthage.

Moral of the story, this many calls/instances can't factor into the outcome as much as they did! Calls flipped from 50seconds on.....
I just went back and watched the breakaway you're referring to again, because I though "you know what, sometimes you're wrong." 2 might get him on the body, but the official does a good job getting down the floor, and both 2 and 1 for Ozark unquestionably have their hands on top of the ball.

I have seen a clock error not get adjusted numerous times. Twice last week. Maybe those seconds can be cleanly transferred to the end of the game like you're suggesting, maybe they're more deliberate bringing the ball up. Regardless, both teams score AFTER the mistake.

Coaches ask for all kinds of calls in game, and setting up outside of the frame is one thing. 1 and 42 often lean their hips or move their feet. The illegal screens have been discussed with officials BEFORE Carthage games.

I agree, you want the kids to decide the games. It was a pretty even and back and forth last 2 minutes.

If any coach is talking trash to an opposing player and/or having physical altercations with players, unless self defense, that is wrong. With that being said what are all the details about the JV coach being fired. I think you need to know both sides of the story on that one. The parents of the player(s) are usually the ones more nuts than the coaches.
All hearsay.... However, a very close source stated that the JV coach was speaking to another kid and a varsity bench player walked by and told another kid that he absolutely hated that kid and couldn't stand him (using nicer words than what was actually said). Player A told Player B. Player B then confronted the coach and gets into an altercation. The coach shortly after was relieved of his duties. Coach Schweitzer had no choice to let him go after he is on the hot seat as well.

The 2ish second run off is certainly a tough look for the table. The official who signaled they had the clock is also the one who called the foul (and thus was looking at the player # when the clock was running) so they didn't see it. I'm absolutely ok with officials not changing it if they're not sure, they shouldn't guess. Both teams score after it happened. Honestly the bigger story might be Ray going 2-4 from the line before intentionally missing that last FT. He shoots them at about 87% and literally iced the game against CJ the night before.
It doesn't matter what percentage he shoots. Call the game correctly or quit wasting the kids' time and don't ref at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT